Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Prior to performing the Major on my 348SS, I went through a few "estimates" for the major and found a few inconsistencies from potential suitors that concerned me. One charged $31 each for spark plugs, another charged $269 for 11 quarts of Motor oil. I simply will not be a part of that kind of lunacy. I did a lot of research finding parts that were better, stronger, cheaper than original Ferrari OEM. I also searched widely for a mechanic that allowed me the leeway to supply some parts. Here is the fruit of my labors

First, the list

Red Line Shockproof for your tranny oil (5 quarts)
Your choice of a good synthetic motor oil....(11 Quarts)
Your choice of a good antifreeze...(may I suggest pet safe)
Hill tensioners
Rebuilt waterpump from Jordan Machine, Ocean Springs Mississippi.
Iridium spark plugs...I prefer NGK...see www.Sparkplugs.com for a good price
K&N air filter
Get the 2 "OEM" fuel filters from RockAuto.com
Silicon hose set from www.RicambiAmerica.com
Walker 4 wire O2 sensors (cheaper and faster-reacting than Bosch)
clone fuel pressure regulators

Now the Why

I was sure I had a 3rd gear synchro problem. Gears would grind badly when shifted at high RPM...When I brought the car in for service, they agreed and estimated $6000 additional to replace it. I decided to limp through the 2008 season and fix the gearbox next year. I told them to put in the standard Aguip oil for now. When I got the car back the grinding was worse than ever. I didn't see how I could manage through the season. I initiated many threads in various forums to get opinions. A few guys responded by strongly suggesting an oil change to Redline Superlight shockprook. I spoke with a Redline engineer who advised against superlight since we were afraid the synchro was all done. I put in regular viscosity shockproof and the problem nearly went away. It still grinds but only when I screw up the clutch work. Synchro needs to be done, but Redline saved my season.

Motor oil....is there really a differance??? Why do they charge so much for OEM crap oil. Go with what you know and trust...I'm partial to Castrol Syntec

Antifreeze - Do I need to explain the differance in prices?

Tensioners - Bought my car knowiing it was due for a Major due to time not miles. Car had about 7000 miles since last major over 7 years ago. Hill bearing were recommended. Research revealed hill bearing races are a larger diameter allowing a slower track velocity. That sounded good enough to me. when we pulled my covers, I found my belt to be in satisfactory to good condition. I started second guessing the need for cam belt changing. A close inspection of the tensioner bearing revealed the loss of the seal cover and a hitch in the spin. These OEM bearings were not to far from destruction if I had not done the Major. Hill Bearings appear far more stout.

Water pump - Ferrari wanted $1400 for a rebuilt water pump. They recommend you change them during Majors since they are not accessable unless you pull the engine...Why not replace it while your in there. Funny thing is that the The Jordan Company in Ocean Springs Mississippi (Dick Jordan (228)872-0855)will receive your water pump, Rebuild it with new bearings and seals and ship it back to you in one day for the amazing price of $99 plus shipping. Add the shipping time and it totals ~5 days. You can't compare the prices and my Ferrari Mechanic (a Ferrari dealer) was amazed at the quality.

Spark plugs - Ferrari wanted 31.00 each for champions. I got much better Iridium plugs for 7.00 each.....Duuuh

K&N - Just do it for all your cars

Fuel filters can be had cheaper

If your hoses are less than perfect, get a set of silicone ones from ricambi. a fellow chatter (angelis) got his hoses copied by a silicone manufacturer. They are better looking and rated for higher pressures and temps than original. My originals were fine...maybe next time

O2 sensors - mine were fine but lots of people recommended the walkers???

Clone regulators - Mine were fine. If you need a set...don't just buy OEM...there not made by Ferrari anyway. Why spend foolishly

The remaining parts necessary for my Major werwe supplied by Ferrari directly. I may have saved a few more dollars here and there on stuff like gaskets but be real. Use your head and don't assume Ferrari stuff is always the best or the only thing to be used. There lots of other suppliers out there that believe in capitalism and the Free Market. If I was really that cheap...I do the Major myself. Hope this helps those wanting to get it done without a second mortgage.

Good Luck
Lane

·
Registered
181 Posts
A Time Saver

Thanks for Sharing Saint!

This will save me a ton of time when my major is due at the end of 2009.

Thanks,Greg

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Great list Lane!!!
You are right about the Redline tranny oil, that stuff is magic. For the motor oil, I was recommended by Steve (enjoythemusic) to go with the Shell Rotella T 5W/40 synthetic which is available at Walmart.

And Greg,
Lane is correct in that you should never assume you have to get your parts from Ferrari. For most of the components Ferrari just bought existing equipment from other manufacturers. The A/C in my car is a stock GM unit. I had the check valve fail on my air injection pump and I just happened to have another one laying around the garage that came off my Jeep from when I changed the header on that. Same part. Can't imagine what Ferrari would have charged me.

Do some research and you can save a ton of money and time. I needed new lift cylinders for my engine lid. I looked online and found out who made them and got the part number, I went to my local discount auto parts place that carried that brand and gave them the part number. Of course they said, "What does it fit?" and I told them, "A '79 Ferrari 308." He typed away at his computer for a minute and said, "We don't have a listing for a Ferrari." I said, "I know you don't, that's why I gave you the part number." I got both the lift cylinders the next day and it cost $100. Took me 10 minutes to put them in. Never assume the local parts store can't get you a part just because they don't have a listing. They don't have a listing for my oil filter either yet that is where I buy my oil filters.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Lane, Great post and you are absolutely right. You can both save and upgrade through a bit of research. An awful lot of the parts in a Ferrari come via outside suppliers and are shared with other brands. The tempature sensor that runs the cooling fans in the F40 is the same as used on a VW Rabbit. Difference in price between VW and Ferrari on the same part is x10.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OOOOhh Yeah...and another favorite find.

Wheel lugs.

I bought a set of aftermarket wheels for my car. They really set the 348 to another level. Anyway, the original wheel lug bolts on my car are Serie Speciale bolts. If your not aware, the SS comes with a wider rear track that other 348's. That track differance is the result of thicker hubs on the wheel itself. The factory bolts are a mile long and not even close to what I need for these aftermarkets. I screwed around for a while with lug studs and nuts that simply were not right. I looked at a few web sites including Hill engineering and found the correct length bolt for an outrageous price. Something like $15 each. Then I found ezaccessory.com. The lug bolts I needed arrived 2nd day fedex for the unheard of price of $1.69 each. The shipping cost more than the bolts.

WooooHoooo

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Way to go Lane!! You are the King of 348's!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Lane,

thanks for the info I will pass this on to my mechanic. You are right Ferrari did quote $1400. for the water pump, but I will definitely call Dick Jordan. Wow! what a savings!!!!! Pete is right you are the King of 348's!

Thanks again-Alex

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just a few things to add to Lane's post (nice post by the way :D)....

I purchased the cheaper 348 waterpump from ebay, but ended up having secound thoughts about installing it, so I purchased a new one a few months later and installed that. However, I was very curious about the ebay pump as a few people had used the same one in the past without any problems.

So I gave the ebay waterpump to an engineer who is very knowledgable about that particulat Ferrari waterpumps After comparing and checking it over, he found that both the OEM and the ebay rebuild had the same high quality bearing in them. Tehrefore the ebay one is good enough for the 348. The one I initially purcahsed is now in Andrew Holcombs 348 and he's currently racing in the UK Ferrari Hill climbing championship.

The NGK iridium spark plugs are very good and better than OEM. However, be warned that they may not come with the end plugs (or whatever they call them :rolleyes:). I had to buy another cheap set of plugs and canabalise the tips from them.

You can get a cheaper oil thermo switch for around £15. OEM is £75. However, I did put the £15 one in about one and a half years ago, but lately it seemed to have stopped working. I got the OEM again yesterday. :(

I also changed my water radiator thermo switch as well. Cost £9 from ferrari. Sometimes they can be quite cheap. :rofl:

Magneor spark plugs leads are also very good. Cost around £150 here in the UK. Pic below.

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hills Tensioners.....

Much better tahn OEM as Lane said.

Below are the OEM on the left and Hills Tensioners on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sy
Your right about the spark plug ?caps/adapters? I forgot about that tidbit.

We are refering to the connection point between spark plug and ignition wire. NGK sells the new plugs with bare threaded ends. I assume they do it this way because many cars dont use the "adapters". An additional ~5 bucks gets you the wire connector end/cap/adapter from Sparkplugs.com but you have to specify it. I took them off my old plugs to put on the new ones. Problem solved.

I could be wrong but my understanding of the "Ebay" pump is they are pumps rebuilt by Jordan (mississippi guy) for 99 dollars, sold to the Ebay guy, who resells at a profit. Benefit is you end up with an extra as Cores aren't required. Good deal if you screw your housing or something.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Magneor spark plugs leads are also very good. Cost around £150 here in the UK. Pic below.
Angelis, what part # are those and are they the 8.5mm?

As far as other parts, enter the part # to help a fella out!!!!

Great thread

~

Mario

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Red Line Shockproof for your tranny oil (5 quarts)
Your choice of a good synthetic motor oil....(11 Quarts)
Your choice of a good antifreeze...(may I suggest pet safe)
Hill tensioners
Rebuilt waterpump from Jordan Machine, Ocean Springs Mississippi.
Iridium spark plugs...I prefer NGK...see www.Sparkplugs.com for a good price
K&N air filter
Get the 2 "OEM" fuel filters from RockAuto.com
Silicon hose set from www.RicambiAmerica.com
Walker 4 wire O2 sensors (cheaper and faster-reacting than Bosch)
clone fuel pressure regulators
.......Lane

Saint Bastage:

Started this thread with a list of things he felt were a must.

I have two questions of the BOLDED items above, which I thought were NOT good advice in Ferraris.

Any update comments?

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
Rik- I am with you on the K&N or BMC filters. No oil upstream of the mass airflow sensors for me. The paper filters work great and cost less, at least for a Maranello.

No experience with the Redline transmission oil. I use Valvoline synthetic in mine and it works great.

Taz
Terry Phillips

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Rik- I am with you on the K&N or BMC filters. No oil upstream of the mass airflow sensors for me. The paper filters work great and cost less, at least for a Maranello.

No experience with the Redline transmission oil. I use Valvoline synthetic in mine and it works great.

Taz
Terry Phillips

I am not good at some recall, as I don't use the RL shockproof, but I distintly remember tons of discussion saying NOT to use it. Matter of fact it was only to be used in certain type gears:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=47&pcid=7 what we should be using.
http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=8 guess just picking the right one will do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts