Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all, its a pleasure to join your community. this is my first post. forza ferrari!

greetings out of the way, i have a quick question: it is my understanding that one may find examples of the 3 afore mentioned models somewhat similar in price. that being said, which is more for a person who loves ferraris and their history but probably will have to skip meals (laughing) to afford one. im thinking from a first ferrari standpoint.

any of these would be 'settling' due to the fact that one always wants the best, but a 330 GTO or F50 is out of my price range. would it be wise to purchase a 308 or 328, save another 10 gs and buy a 348 or just wait for a 348?

just looking for advice. thanks in advance
rick

·
Registered
132 Posts
i am new here also. i just got a 79' 308gts. i wanted a carbed car so i can work on it myself. the general consenses is that 308's are pretty easy to work on if you have pretty good skills. plus they are easier on the wallet than most ferrari's. i just payed 26g's for a car that needs a few things but otherwise is a pretty car. just do your research and studying and you will make a choice that you will be happy with.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
customperformance said:
would it be wise to purchase a 308 or 328, save another 10 gs and buy a 348 or just wait for a 348?
Rick,
Do you want a 308 or a 328? Those cars are done depreciating so you can get back out of them what you put into them. You could buy the 308 or 328 and have the Ferrari experience now and then trade up to a 348.

I am very happy with my 308 although I have been tossing around the idea of trading up to a TR at some point. (or a 360). I could just be dreaming though because the new wife hates my house (along with pretty much everything else I own). So at this point I am planning on keeping the 308 in pristine condition and enjoying the hell out of it.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
customperformance said:
which is more for a person who loves ferraris and their history but probably will have to skip meals (laughing) to afford one. im thinking from a first ferrari standpoint. rick
Rick,
The 308. Hands down. Like Joe said, it is a car you can work on yourself. That part was key to my being able to afford one, I do all my own work. The 308 is reasonably priced for the average guy to buy and if it ain't your thing, it is reasonably easy to get rid of without losing your shirt.

If you want history, go buy a book. If you want a Ferrari, tomorrow, go get yourself a 308.

·
Registered
575 Posts
By far, the winning choice is the 328.

308's are for greasy-fingered backyard tinkerers (me, :lol: ), as they require more attention when it comes to servicing (naturally, they're older and most have service defered, so a few cars need some fettling before they're put back into use). The bonus is you can pick one up for next to nothing.

348's, especially the first ones can be expensive if they haven't had the upgrades done to them. Its a love-them or a hate-them car (some people love'em or hate'em). You must decide which you are. Alot of 348's have interior trim that degrades, like the door handles and vents. they tend to get soft, mushy and sticky. No one can explain it. I guess just a bad batch of plastic. The 348 was a BIG departure for Ferrari and they have their bugs (but not that many).

The 328 is the winner because they had 15 years to iron-out bugs. The electrical system is beefy and modern, The fuel-injection and ignition is bomb-proof and the general fit-and-finish is superb. There are very few bad cars around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
replies

hey, thanks for the attention. i really didnt expect that much of a response. im flattered!

seriously though, you addressed alot of my concerns: depreciation, in case i too, wanted to trade up. and also, the reliability of the 348.

the appeal of the 348 is the similarity of the design to the 355 which everyone (with exeptions) loves. it is half the price with a relitively modern design. but i see your point(s)

as far as the 328, how is the fuel injection systems, electricals, etc from a "how much can i do myself" standpoint? from what ive seen, there is a 10k difference in price bt the 308 and 328. i know there is a power difference, but what else?

i have a little over 11 years of "backyard grease" on my hands.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The 328 (and 308 i) uses Bosch K-Jetronic (with I believe Lambda control on the 328's). If you're unfamiliar with this system, get the Charles Probst Bosch F.I. & Engine Management manual. It has everything about it and more...

The Jetronic family is mostly a mechanical system, the only electronics involved are simply the temp. and throttle switches (plus Lambda control where applicable).

The 348 uses Bosch Motronic 2.5 (upgrades to 2.7 should have been done if you're looking at a particular car).

The Magneti Marelli Microplex ignition system is a little more involved, but if you get your hands on a pin-out machine and the coresponding pin-out # list, you can plug into the brain and diagnose system faults.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I received my copy of that book from Amazon a few days ago. It's a GREAT book!

Hmm... actually, it looks like all the K-Jet systems in the 308i and Mondial had Lambda control.

(runs out to the garage to peek at his cats)

Yep, my '83 QV's got the Lamba sensor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Since that last post 3 weeks ago, I've learned a great deal about Bosch K-Jet. My '83 QV does NOT have K-lambda, it's K-basic. I was being over-exuberant. I don't even know what the hell I mistook for a lamba sensor or valve back then.

I've also read that the '84-'85 QVs have K-lambda and all 2V injected 308s have K-basic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts