Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Straight from Don Weber's Ferrari collection where he owned 08492 since 1987, only his passing would separate him from this very late 1974 Dino 246 GTS sporting only 15,621 miles. Now it arrives in my garage.

This is a very rare original car with many nicely preserved pieces such as the mousehair dash but everything rubber has aged too far and needs new.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Get it roadworthy !
Nice, What are your plans?
Dino 08492 with 15,621 miles has only had 3 prior owners and the last owner impounded 08492 in a large Ferrari collection since 1987.
The registration plate shows it was last valid in 2001 and the tires were dated 2005/2006.

After draining the radiator and filling with distilled water then driving 20 mins upon cooling and draining I noticed it was still muddy.
I repeated four times to run 10 gallons total of distilled water and it still looks like this mud mix

Then, as if there ws any question the cooling system had serious needs, the header tank sprung a leak near the neck, so a new replacement was sourced. This also seems a good indication it is time to refresh the rest of the cooling system with new hoses, new coolant pipes and restoring the radiator.

Thankfully new FIM Header tanks are available, but are dearly expensive; totalling over $800 when you include the required overseas overnight secure DHL shipping as it is pricey. But hey, I am a Dino owner so "price denial" and "full on rationalizing" take over as I tell myself "once every 47 years isn't that bad..."

Parts alone:

Header Tank 246 Original FIM #104523 24610165 £345.95

HEADER TANK ORIGINAL FIM 30474 €548.13

Liquid Water Fluid Natural material Rectangle

Automotive lighting Tin Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The engine hoses are old, soft and not OEM period correct as they should be diagonally wrapped cloth sheath.
I am guessing these hoses are from the 1990s as I saw Dino hose kits contain this style back then..
Too old for comfort or safety, they must go!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rim Electrical wiring

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Upon removing the wheels to work on the cooling system the tires show their age of rubber, each dated 2005/2006 and although still very flexible, each sporting deep treads, I decide to chuck them and order four new ones from Longstone UK. They arrived within a week and mounted within a day.

Having safe tires is a basic need on any vintage car.
Many thanks to Longstone for such fast service

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Removing coolant hoses shows they are past due and the coolant pipes have accumulated slag,
so new stainless steel coolant pipes were sourced

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

Wood Natural material Metal Pipe Tints and shades

Audio equipment Circuit component Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hardware programmer

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Removing all the hoses in tight spaces reveals the engine number stamping on the facia ledge. Only when the coolant hoses are aside can one see the engine type and production number stampings. All appear deep and full, so confirms the engine/heads original and have never been "decked".

There is so much originality to like about this car!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Bumper
Water Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rectangle Grey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts