Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a cool looking 330 today (sorry no photo) with a rare body from Pininfarina. It clearly had the Dino 246 rear window. I already forgot but I believe I was told 4 were made? Does anyone know the name of this body?

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
it doesn't have a Dino rearwindow, but it looks a lot like it

and yes only 4 where made

i saw the most famous one, the car that belonged to Princess Lilliane de Rethy

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
That only shows the front of the car. Move your lazy Belgian ass which is probably filled with Belgian beer, and find us a picture from the rear

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
The 330 GTC Special was offered at Bonhams Aug 03 auction. It did not sell against an estimate of $400-500k. Here is the write up:

Lot Number 527 - 1967 Ferrari 330 GTC Speciale

Coachwork by Pininfarina Chassis no. 10241 The 330 GTC complemented the more pedestrian 330 GT 2+2 with dramatic 2-seat coachwork by Pininfarina and an improved torque tube driveline. Built on the short 2,400mm wheelbase of the 275 GTB and fitted with fully independent suspension with unequal A-arms both front and rear and a transaxle, the 330 GTC was as rewarding to drive as Ferrari’s designers had intended, winning rave reviews from both journalists and experienced drivers like Paul Frere. The rigid single unit drivetrain required only four mounts, two on the 3,967cc 300 horsepower engine and two on the five-speed transaxle, and contributed to an exceptionally strong and quiet automobile, ideally suited to the 330 GTC’s place in Ferrari’s model lineup as a luxurious two-seat coupé with performance, responsiveness and handling that nearly equaled the berlinettas. The 330 GTC was hampered only by the added weight of its comfortable accommodations and set a new standard for high performance gran turismos. Its success can be seen in its production numbers, accounting for some 600 units during four years production. Contributing to the 330 GTC’s success was Pininfarina’s understated but stylish coachwork that combined the dramatic nose and air intake of the 500 Superfast with the 275 GTS’s sharply defined and very modern tail. Set atop the body is a light and thin-pillared greenhouse with abundant glass with visibility that contributes to the 330 GTC’s reputation as a driver’s car. Pininfarina’s blending of these seemingly disparate themes was masterfully accomplished and resulted in a design that remains, forty years after its introduction at the 1966 Geneva Auto Show, fresh, clean and distinctive. The late Sixties were a time when Ferrari diverged into two separate yet complementary tracks. One focused upon the increasingly specialized task of building grand prix and road-racing cars while the other worked with Pininfarina’s developing production capacity to construct small volume series-production berlinettas, coupés and luxury four-seaters. Ferrari’s road-racers were tightly-packaged and mid-engined, unsuited to execution as high performance road cars with one-off bodywork for the particularly demanding clientele which had patronized Ferrari in earlier years. Only a few particularly favored clients had the style, wealth and stature to persuade Ferrari and Pininfarina to create special coachwork on the chassis of Ferrari’s gran turismos, among them King Leopold of Belgium and his wife Liliana de Rethy who had commissioned some of Pininfarina’s most exceptional work on the best and fastest chassis from Ferrari. At the Brussels Salon in January 1967 Ferrari and Pininfarina introduced their latest collaboration for Princess Liliana, a 330 GTC of remarkable beauty and style. Combining the even more dynamic covered headlight frontal styling of the 365 California Spyder with the concave rear window and extended c-pillars first seen on the Dino 206, Liliana de Rethy’s 330 GTC was an extravagant and yet still sleek automobile of singular style and grace. Matched with the 330 GTC’s refined, responsive chassis and abundantly powerful four-liter engine it was the ultimate in the era’s gran turismos and inspired four succeeding Speciales for similarly important Ferrari clients, the most exclusive and inspired designs from Ferrari and Pininfarina in the period. The last of the five 330 GTC Speciales is 10241, offered here. In addition to its dramatic covered headlight, concave rear window styling it has an extra-tall windshield giving additional interior room for taller drivers and was shown at the1967 Frankfurt Motor Show after which it was sold to Dr. Franco Palma of Rome. Dr. Palma kept his elegant and distinctive 330 GTC Speciale for twenty-two years before it was acquired by Ferrari connoisseur Greg Garrison in the U.S. in November 1979. Garrison kept it an additional twenty years, displaying it at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in 1997. It was acquired by its present owner in May 1999 and was the subject of a feature article in the June 2003 issue of the renowned Cavallino magazine. The most rare, beautiful, refined and distinctive of all 330 GTCs, 10241’s three-owner history from new demonstrates the seductive charm of its combination of style, comfort and performance. It has entranced its prior owners, collectors of wide-ranging experience with the finest Ferraris, and is a rare and very special opportunity for a new owner to experience the finest of Ferrari’s luxury coupés and Pininfarina’s most refined and distinctive coachwork. $ 450,000 - 500,000

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
pretty funny

but the Princess Lilianne De Rethy car was at the FCA concours and so was 1 of the 2 other sisters car

the only think i was a bit pissed about is that they didn't parked them next to each other

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 330 GTC Special was offered at Bonhams Aug 03 auction. It did not sell against an estimate of $400-500k. Here is the write up:

Lot Number 527 - 1967 Ferrari 330 GTC Speciale

Greg Garrison in the U.S. in November 1979. Garrison kept it an additional twenty years, displaying it at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in 1997.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has a hi-res photo of Greg Garrison and his 1967 330/365 GTC Pininfarina Coupe Speciale, chassis number 10241.

If yes, I'd love to publish it with a cute article about the 1998 Pebble Beach concours - where Alan Boe was the judge - and Jay Leno was quick with words and a flash of the cash...

I have a very tight deadline, so I really hope one of you can come through. If you need more info - just ask.

Thank you.

Follow-up

Thank you Harold of New Jersey. Nice to know someone has a photo of Greg Garrison in their archives. Look for the Jan/Feb issue of Auto Events magazine - it will be in there....

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I was wondering if anyone on this forum has a hi-res photo of Greg Garrison and his 1967 330/365 GTC Pininfarina Coupe Speciale, chassis number 10241.

If yes, I'd love to publish it with a cute article about the 1998 Pebble Beach concours - where Alan Boe was the judge - and Jay Leno was quick with words and a flash of the cash...

I have a very tight deadline, so I really hope one of you can come through. If you need more info - just ask.

Thank you.
Dj Dirk would be your best bet. Suggest you send him a PM or email.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks - A Harold came through...
even got a picture of the car!

Alan Boe's story is adorable - had to find a stock photo of money being given away...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts