Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Does anyone know anything more than the published general accounts of the car/Sandra West history?
It's a captivating and deeply melancholic story. It's not that long ago so I'm suprised there isn't more info about on who she was etc.
Who was she Al? I am intrigued!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know the whole history, all I know is that she died (aged 37) in 1977 and her will stipulated that she was to be buried at the wheel of her powder blue '63 330 America - sn5055, a wood & steel framed crate was constructed, the car (& her) placed inside, lowered into a 9ft hole & encased in concrete.
I know none of the background, just found it a strangely compelling and very moving story.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I don't know the whole history, all I know is that she died (aged 37) in 1977 and her will stipulated that she was to be buried at the wheel of her powder blue '63 330 America - sn5055, a wood & steel framed crate was constructed, the car (& her) placed inside, lowered into a 9ft hole & encased in concrete.
I know none of the background, just found it a strangely compelling and very moving story.
Tom Yang might be able to shed more light on the story. He is a true 330 America expert.

http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari.html

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Got me intrigued too !
Ain't Google great !

Sandra West, a wealthy 37-year-old Beverly Hills socialite, left most of her $3 million estate to her brother - provided he made sure she was buried "in my lace nightgown and my Ferrari, with the seat slanted comfortably." That's how she was buried. The Ferrari was surrounded with concrete so no one would be tempted to dig it up and drive away.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
That is an interesting story.

Not too partial to the bit about being 'encased in concrete' though ughh!

They could have just emptied the fuel tank and disconnected the ignition coil if they didn't want anyone to drive it away!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts