Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to buy a 328 GTS. My question follows. What would be the best year 328 to buy? Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I've never heard of any 1 year in particular being better than any other. In fact, I've never heard anything but good from 328 owners. The 328 is a step up from the 308QV which is a step up from my car.

So I would say, forget about the year of the car and concentrate on getting the best value for the car you want. Look at condition and mileage and service records rather than year. A prepurchase inspection is a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I do like the 308QV. I thought about both of them a lot. However I decided on the 328 and I will search for the correct one. I agree clean, history recs. mileage, and pre inspection a must. I will keep an open mind however about the QV. If I see one that meets all that I am searching for, I will purchase it for sure. Any bugs with them I should know about?:)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
The only one I know about is the bottoms of the doors being prone to rust bubbles. I'd look carefully there and also directly behind the rear tires on the valence(sp?) panel.
Mechanically I know of no difficulties if they have had all the required maintenance. Slow power windows are common on the 308 series but I have never heard of a 328 owner complain of them. Speedometer sending unit is a common bug also so the mileage may not be completely accurate. It is a cheap and easy repair to do yourself so I wouldn't freak out if the car is in great shape at a decent price but the speedo doesn't work. Again, the PPI will put your mind at ease. I, personally, do not mind a car with problems as long as I know the problems up front and am prepared to deal with them (and the price reflects the problems).

·
Registered
749 Posts
One thing that may need researching is what wheel / tyre combo is fitted. I don't have the details handy but some mid 80's Ferraris came fitted with Michellin's "new technology" TRX rims & tyres. They use a unique tyre mounting on the rim, and so cannot accept any other tyre (that I know of).

Unfortunately, the TRX concept didn't fly, and the TRX tyre has not been further developed with time. This severely limits what new tyres can now be fitted (ie, only TRX ones :ugh: ) unless you replace the rims with a conventional set of 16" wheels => very expensive, so check it out first.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
4kids3fish said:
One thing that may need researching is what wheel / tyre combo is fitted. I don't have the details handy but some mid 80's Ferraris came fitted with Michellin's "new technology" TRX rims & tyres. They use a unique tyre mounting on the rim, and so cannot accept any other tyre (that I know of).

Unfortunately, the TRX concept didn't fly, and the TRX tyre has not been further developed with time. This severely limits what new tyres can now be fitted (ie, only TRX ones :ugh: ) unless you replace the rims with a conventional set of 16" wheels => very expensive, so check it out first.
Yes, good point - unless you seek originality, I would want a car that already had 16" rims.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Right, Pete. I'm not sure whether the 328 came with TRX, but if a previous owner has changed the wheels over, try to also get the original wheels/tyres for concourse (I mean there's not much anyone else can do with them anyway)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
4kids3fish said:
try to also get the original wheels/tyres for concourse (I mean there's not much anyone else can do with them anyway)
I don't care about concourse, but I would try to get the original rims for resale value. And if the car did not have original rims I would try and negotiate price (even though I could care less about the original rims if I like the ones on the car, saves me the money and hassle of buying new rims).

·
Registered
187 Posts
As far as I know the only 3x8 series cars to run the TRX 390mm rims were the early injected, two valve 308's(US specs). There may have been some produced on the early QV's but in my experience it is the QV16" rim that everybody is using to replace their 14' and 390mm TRX rims with.

The style of rim changed again when the 328 came out and to the best of my knowlege all are 16". I believe in 1988 or 89 the 328 was equipped with the ABS braking which changed the 328 wheel from concave to convex to make room for the new brakes.

Personally I like the early 328 better. All of the 328's are the pinnacle of the 3x8 series design. The best driving and most refined with most issues of the earlier 3x8 series designed out. A well maintained 328 is very dependable in relation to most other ferrari models. Wouldn't mind having one myself.

One note; Starting in 1984 Ferrari started using rust prevention in their cars so it should help a little with possible rust issues.
DJ

·
Registered
25 Posts
I suppose the only consideration as to year is whether you want anti-lock brakes or not, since they were only offered in the last year.

I have also read that suspension geometry was revised somewhat late in the production run to try to tame snap oversteer at the limit. In normal driving that would not be an issue.

Some of the '86s (including mine) had been subject to three minor recalls; if you have an s/n, check with a local authorized Ferrari dealer, who may be able to tell you whether the car you're considering had those completed.

I've only been driving my '86 since Saturday (yes, it's my first Ferrari) and it's a blast! :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thank you all for your replies. I learned more about them. To be honest I did not think to look into whells and tires. I seen some on ebay, however I would rather go to the car and view it myself. Then order a PPI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts