Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-

I'm new here, and this is my first post. I am researching the possibility of maybe getting into 328 gtb for my next sports car, and have been scouring the forums trying to gather as much info on these cars as I can. It appears that this may be the model for me, considering I do all of the work on my cars and am hoping to get into something 'reliable' that I can work on that is priced well-below the 360's I lust after. :) I haven't owned an F-car yet, but my father owned some pretty amazing classic examples, including a 250gt california spyder, a 275 gtb long nose, and several others. That's how I 'got the bug', if you will...

Anyways, I'm curious about the cost of typical consumables on 328's. What is the average cost of things like brake pads, rotors, filters, belts, maintenance items, etc...? Are they a lot more expensive compared to cars such as Porsches and BMW's? (which are what I have the most experience with to date)

Thanks in advance-

·
Registered
749 Posts
Welcome here Renaissance Man!

Best to get some typical service estimates from your local Ferrari service centre & compare to BMW, etc.

The parts cost for 3.2 have usually been cheaper than I expected, with the odd exception. For example, cambelts, seals & filters are cheap enough but the "genuine boxed" spark plugs are horrendous. Luckily you can use regular Champion or NGK plugs of the same heat range (but not in a red Ferrari box) for 1/3 the price. A good F-car mech will be a help here.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Welcome to the site. I hope we can help you in your search for a 328. I would recommend what 4kids3fish said. Be sure to have the car checked out by a dealer. Also call your local dealer and ask them. If you don't have one in your city perhaps a local mechanic can work on it.

The 328 is a solid car and very reliable. The maintance won't be that often. When you do get the car serviced it will be more than a BMW because parts are more expensive and labor usually takes a bit longer as the cars engines are not the most accessible. In the case of the 328 it won't be too bad and if you like working on cars yourself it can be done with this model.

Enjoy browsing the forum, I'm sure you'll find all the info you need.

Regards,
Andrew

·
Registered
613 Posts
hi welcome!

The 328 is always a good first... ...I wish I was able to :( .

The only advice I can give, take your time. Every car you see will be better than the one before (usually). Keep that in mind and you'll find the right one...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

A 328 should be a very solid and reliable first Ferrari. And as the rest of the guys have said, don't jump at the first one you find, it may take a while to find the perfect one. Make sure all the service records are in tact as well as a complete toolkit. A 3rd party inspection is recommended.

·
Registered
300 Posts
RenaissanceMan,
first of all: welcome to the site!
second: I don't have a Fcar, but I did have a search for a friend of mine who was looking for a Mondial Coupe 3.2. I found that it's recommended that you have a good search and a decent look at the cars. A Fcar could be a money-pit! Let your head decide before your heart does. A PPI can solve a lot of heart- and wallet problems. I also found a couple of mechanics that already service Fcars, so we let them have a good look at a couple of examples we were looking at, they came up with problems and problems in the making we didn't notice, they could also give estimate for putting the car back in good running order. My friend did have a better overall $$figure to get the car he wanted. So don't rush things, have a good look around and I'm sure your Fcar is waiting for you.
A 328 is good and solid car, if taken care for by ALL the owners,past and present, a good and complete service history is important. I also found that independent mechanics do service cheaper than authorised do, parts can be ordered by them as well and they're not bound to original parts, other marques with the same quality( or better) can come cheaper than the original Fparts.
Best of luck finding your car and I wished I already was at the point you're at.

·
Registered
900 Posts
RenaissanceMan said:
I haven't owned an F-car yet, but my father owned some pretty amazing classic examples, including a 250gt california spyder, a 275 gtb long nose, and several others.
Whoa! :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts