Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings 308, 328, and Mondial owners. I am honored to have been asked to moderate this new section of Ferrari Life. I have had the good fortune to have owned four Ferraris, including a 308GT4 and my current 328. It doesn't get much better than doing a bunch of work on a Ferrari, and then enjoy driving it afterwards. And, as a teacher, I enjoy passing along anything I have learned in the process. So, let me know if I can help with your projects. Part of the fun is learning new stuff, and I'm sure that I will learn a lot from all of you, too.

For your approval, here is a photo of the last three cars I have restored. So many cars, so little time...

Steve Julius
Senior Engineer, General Motors (retired)
Automotive Instructor, Mesa Community College, Mesa, Arizona

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Steve,

Thanks for helping us out in this section, your knowledge is very appreciated. Feel free to send me the usernames of owners that would like access to this area.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Glad to be on board with this to and thank you for brinigng it to my attention.
I do almost all my own work on my GTS. I keep a web record of everything I do on the car just in case it may be of help to someone. So I think this is an excellent idea for the site.
I really hope my little contribution will be of help to others.

http://www.maranellohouse.com/308restoration.html

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Steve, very pleased to have your expert advice on hand. As you know I sold my 328 earlier this year, but have plans to buy another next year and will welcome your tips and advice nearer the time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Archie. My 328 restoration is basically complete, and now I get to enjoy driving and showing it. There's a big show in 2 weeks here called Concorso Arizona, which in the past has brought over 100 Ferraris, from all over the country, plus a bunch of other Italian cars. Last time, I brought my Pantera, this time it'll be the 328. That parking lot is probably worth more than some countries.

And ENZ9_1, I love your collection, especially the cinquecento (sp?). I'm sure we can all use your help and expertise.

Steve

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Steve, we'd love to see some pics from the show and some pics of your finished 328. BTW, I love Pantera's, when I tell people like De Tomaso's too, most of them look at me gone out. It seems the general public are only aware of Ferrari, lambo and Maser.
I go to the Auto Italia annual concours in the Uk every year, and there are always two Pantera's there, both have immaculate engine bays, one is decked out in highly polished aluminium and the other looks as fresh as it was when it left the factory.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello Steve, look forward to making your aquaintance, this is just as it should be with everyone being able to share knowledge and experiences of 328 ownership, my own one is about to get its annual service and cambelt change, this time being undertaken by myself and my guru ! Who is a head mechanic with a GT2 Ferrari race team, hope he can improve my driving as well as my engineering skills !!
Hi Archie, its been a bit quiet lately, hope to keep in touch, and good luck in getting your new steed !!!
Gavin.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Gavin,

I'm sure you will do fine on the cambelt service. For me, one of the biggest pains was removing the air conditioning compressor. I have the prehistoric York unit, and it is a press fit in the car. I think Euro cars have the Sanden, which is not only a much better compressor, but much smaller, so it shouldn't be that bad to get out. The belts themselves are not hard to do, although the valve adjustment on the front bank isn't much fun. And remember, we always like pictures :). Good luck.

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

Was wondering where Mondials were on this!! Maybe we should merge 308/328 and Mondi here, as the 329 forum does not seem to be getting much action.

H

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When Andrew first started the "Owner's" category, it was "308, 328, and Mondial". I agreed to be moderator, although I don't know much about Mondials. Shortly thereafter, he split the 308 and 328, and I guess the Mondials fell into a black hole. I think it would be perfectly reasonable to go back to his original 3-car idea. Would that be OK with you, Andrew? -Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello All,
I bought my Ferrari 308 QV "85" about a year ago sn#55255 with 37,000 miles. Car runs great and looks even better. Oh what a feeling !! I took the car to Coach in New Jersey around May of this year for a Spring fit Out Everything went well except they noticed a little( Very slight) play( In/Out)do you think this will on the front wheels when the car was up on the lift and the front suspension was under load. My thought process was to get the front Wheel bearings replaced. Does anyone know what the part number would be and is this the correct solution. When I bought the car I had a PPI that came out OK but I received no service records at all so I am starting out in thr blind. I had new brakes and tires and all fluids changed, Mechanic said belts looked really good and new as he could still read the writing on the belts with no problem, I also fixed the slow window issue and the Rear Right Caliper was sticking and had that rebuilt. I also had a new Stebro exhaust put on that sounds awsome. My question is what items should I address and in what order. Belts, Bushings, hoses, etc.
Any help would be appreciated
Captglen308

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Howdy Captglen,

According to the 308 manual, 0.004" end play in a wheel bearing is OK, more is not.

I'll bet everyone will agree that the first thing to have done on the car is the timing belts. Since you have no service records, the belts could be brand new or quite old. Looking at them doesn't help. As you might know, if one belt breaks, the engine is basically toast. So, you need a major service, including a valve adjustment, which isn't cheap, unless you can do the work yourself.

Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks Steve,
I was hoping to wait until next year for the major belt but I guess I better do that first and then the other stuff next year, What comes after the belts and pulleys ?? Also I was told to replace the water pump at the same time as the belts . Do you agree ??
Thanks
Glenn

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Water Pump

The water pump is not hard to replace by itself. You don't have to take very much off to do it, so it's up to you. New pumps are quite expensive, but there is a guy who rebuilds them for about $100, IIRC.

Other than the belts, I can't think of anything that could be disastrous. Sounds like the brakes are good. What's next just depends on what's worn out on your car. Remember that everything is now 23 years old.

Keep in touch. How about a few photos?

Steve

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Concorso Arizona

Well, where are my manners! Archie asked for some pictures from the big show, and I forgot to post some, until now. This was an all Italian car show at a very fancy resort in Scottsdale, Arizona. There had to be about 100 Ferraris, probably 20 Lambos, a dozen Panteras, a few Maseratis, one Alfa and some Fiats. Oh, and one new Bugatti. Gorgeous cars, perfect weather that day.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts