Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just yesterday, I notoced that it is taking considerable effort to down shift into first gear.

Getting into first when I first started out was fine. It seems after I've gone into 2nd and 3rd (upshifting) and then slow to a stop, it's very hard to get the car into 1st again. It's like I really have to pull back on the shifter and it has to "pop" into 1st. Does thi sound familiar to anyone? Could it be the synchros? Could it bt the throw plate?

any help would be appreciated. I just dont want to drop a ton of money to fix and hope it's something simple.

Thanks,
Marc

·
Registered
293 Posts
Marc,

It could simply need a shifter alignment. The engine cold then expands when hot. Since it seems to work when cold, could be when she gets hot the engine and bits expand just THAT little bit more to get things out of alignment.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gee man, I hope so. The thing is that I have driven the car a bunch and it's now just happening.

Thanks,
Marc

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Shifter alignment is a real possibility but so is clutch drag especially since there is a heat element in the malfunction. The pilot bearing may be going south.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Brian said:
Shifter alignment is a real possibility but so is clutch drag especially since there is a heat element in the malfunction. The pilot bearing may be going south.
Clutch adjustment is indeed a possibility... as is the sync rings going south (and pray that in not it because it is $$$ to fix). Attached is the sheet on how to adjust clutch. You need to remove the driver's side rear tire, then remove the black fiberglass cover to access the engine. You will see the clutch adjustment bits pretty much straight ahead if you look carefully around.

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
If your gearbox oil hasn't been changed in a while it might be an idea, you'd be very surprised at the difference it can make.
As the guys say check the linkage setup. 308/328's normally only do 2nd/3rd bulk rings in, but it's not out of the way I suppose for 1/2 to go. My 5th to 4th downshift is starting to bulk a little. £70 (don't equivilent $) for a bulk ring from Eurospares in the UK, but box has to be stripped to put it in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts