Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of thread on 308 AC refurbs, but not many for 328's. I understand there are similarities and differences, so I thought I'd start such a thread.

This year's winter project is to refurb my '87 US 328 AC system. In attempting to recharge the system this year it was discovered that the high-side fitting to the current york compressor had been cross-threaded some years ago making it impossible to completely seal the fitting (the threads on the compressor are really chewed up). So, new hoses/fittings/o-rings, compressor, dryer, and expansion valve at the very least. Ferrari of Seattle has quoted in excess of $10,000 for parts and labor: I can probably do better. :)

Ugh: Need to remove fuel tank to get it done, which to me is the scary part. Like to have a procedure documented for doing this before I even start.

Tips and recommendations are gladfully accepted.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Lots of thread on 308 AC refurbs, but not many for 328's. I understand there are similarities and differences, so I thought I'd start such a thread.

This year's winter project is to refurb my '87 US 328 AC system. In attempting to recharge the system this year it was discovered that the high-side fitting to the current york compressor had been cross-threaded some years ago making it impossible to completely seal the fitting (the threads on the compressor are really chewed up). So, new hoses/fittings/o-rings, compressor, dryer, and expansion valve at the very least. Ferrari of Seattle has quoted in excess of $10,000 for parts and labor: I can probably do better. :)

Ugh: Need to remove fuel tank to get it done, which to me is the scary part. Like to have a procedure documented for doing this before I even start.

Tips and recommendations are gladfully accepted.

Removing the tank is not that large a project. Typically the threads on the hose fitting are not so damaged that it requires replacement and that would be the only reason to remove the tank. That is a call you need to make however. Everything else is easy.

If the tank does require removal, carefully cut the small hoses from the small aluminum nipples on the top of the tank with a sharp razor blade. Taking them off without cutting them often results in breaking the nipple off of the tank.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brian,

Unfortunately, the threads on the compressor really are chewed all to hell. Found this out when I was replacing the teflon seal at to top of the threads. Sucks big time, but it is what it is.

As for the gas tank, I'm well familiar with the little breather and return hoses at the top. Replaced all of those (carefully) the first spring I had this car 2+ years ago. Cutting them off when removing the gas tank certainly sounds like the way to go. What else needs to be removed out of the area to get the passenger tank out -- compressor and mount, clearly, but what else would make the job easier overall?

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have produced full replacement systems for the Dino at under $2000 - you get all new parts in the flow path - even the evaporator, which nobody else produces in R-134a.
I had custom R-134a manufactured Evaporator, Condensor and compressor, hoses, fittings, dryer and sensors

·
Registered
891 Posts
Thanks Brian,

Unfortunately, the threads on the compressor really are chewed all to hell. Found this out when I was replacing the teflon seal at to top of the threads. Sucks big time, but it is what it is.

As for the gas tank, I'm well familiar with the little breather and return hoses at the top. Replaced all of those (carefully) the first spring I had this car 2+ years ago. Cutting them off when removing the gas tank certainly sounds like the way to go. What else needs to be removed out of the area to get the passenger tank out -- compressor and mount, clearly, but what else would make the job easier overall?
If you are using Teflon Seals then that means you have Rotolock fittings installed. My R-134a replacement kit supplies all new parts for under $2000 including Rotolock fittings

Your Cross-tank fuel hoses might be able to not be removed if you snake teh two hoses (sized #8, #10) through the rocker panel and just tip he tank forward for a minute to pass it through

1 - 5 of 5 Posts