Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using my 308 GTSi as a daily driver for 6 weeks now and I have a water leak. I could use some advice please.

If I drive for a short drive (+- 5 minutes) and I stop, water drips from somewhere just ahead and to the right of the left rear wheel. The weird thing is that after I drive for prolonged periods (after my 20km drive to work), the leak stops.

I am slowly learning technical aspects of the car but I haven't had access to a lift to check this out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Odds are you are seeing overflow from the expansion tank. You might want to 'burp' the system. This entails turning on the heat and having engine slightly hot. On the front radiator there is a big brass knob on left side when looking from front of car. Turn the knob to 'open' it up and close it once all the air is out and she begins leaking coolant. When your drive or whatever is over, let engine cool and check the coolant level in the engine's expansion tank, it should be about 1/2 filled. Any more than around 1/2 filled and she will leak coolant to burp out the excess.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The coolant level is not dropping in the header tank. I think the "burping" of the system seems like a good idea. I will try it tonight.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I burped the system last night but the header tank is a little over-full. Having said that, it leaked less this morning than before.

I will monitor it over the weekend.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The water leak has ceased. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Am glad the guys here could help. You STILL might notice the rare small water drops during very hard runs (like race track) as the water level and pressure find their equilibrium. This is all very normal, no worries as it simply means your system is working correctly :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts