Ferrari Life Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tillman said:
The conversion used a dual cam 365 motor (not the 4 cam Daytona motor) and the stock 308 transaxle, along with a lot of machine work. There were plans sold for a while that explained how to do it. Somewhere around here I have one of those books that reprints a collection of magazine articles, and they had a review of the car. As I recall, more torque than stock, not so rev-happy as stock, a faster car.

AtlantaMan over at FerrariChat has a V12 308, although I think it's apart right now. JRV at Ferrari-Talk has also done the conversion and has some poor pics on his website.

Hope that helps.
I read about this conversion and your on the ball. This is what I read, "The V8 was a close relative of the 268ci (4.4 litre) V12 which powered the 365 GTB, sharing it's stroke and bore."
I can now understand a little better how this conversion was done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There were (4) cars done--1 by Goldsmith in Calif, 1 by Norwood, 1 by JRV and 1 by MEEEEE. Mine is the last and most advanced. 330 motor-400hp and EFI.
The motor is 7 inches longer than a 308 requiring the removal of the lower lobe of the passanger fuel tank. The motor however is 10 inches more narrow and 180 lbs lighter than a 308. with teh 6 carb set-up you have to modify the deck lid but with my EFI setup all fits normally------

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
atlantaman,

Welcome to Ferrari Forum we are glad to have you there. That is really impressive work! I'm curious about this project you did. How can the V12 be lighter in weight than the V8? I'm guessing material is a light alloy? If so is it still a Ferrari block? If not what?

Thanks for the photo. Do you happen to have a photo with the engine in the 308?

·
Registered
9 Posts
the 330 motor is a 60Deg block apposed to a 90Degree block for v-8 motors---I am not sure where all the extra metal is but the v-8 is heavier---

I am an engineer with about 20 yrs working on race cars ( mostly GTP Prototypes) and have access to a large machine shop.

Here is a pic on my 328 EFI back-up motor that I designed and am running right now

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
What has been done to the manifold. I don't recall seeing a fuel distribution manifold on the stock 308 or 328 manifold.
If the fuel rail was added on, it looks original.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the fuel rail is something I added. I took a 1.5" diameter bar of alum and machined it down to 3/4" with sections left in 4 places that were machined with flat tops and fitted with Swagelok fittings. the rail was them welded to the intake runners. Also I had to machine a lot off of the intakes too.

Attachments

21 - 33 of 33 Posts