Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My recently acquired 308gts appears to be runing a bit hot. It reached 220 degrees F on a recent trip. I have since flushed the radiator and replaced the coolant (running a 50% mix). It would only take 14 litres, the owners manual states 18 litres, Is this normal? I have attempted to fill it on a further two occassions with engine running with no luck. I have bled both the radiator and thermostat housing screws with no air coming out. I then ran the engine at idle for 30 minutes with the following temps being achieved:- 5mins - 140 degrees F, 13mins - 163 degrees F, 19mins - 195 degrees F. The thermo fans cut in at 200 degrees F at 22 minutes idle time and the temperature stayed in the region of 200 - 202 until I turned off the engine at 30 minutes. Would anyone know if these temperatures and the fluid level are normal? I have been told that the product "water wetter" is good at lowering temperature. I have not put that in yet. Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Argento308

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The radiator appears OK, I flushed it out with a hose and the water appeared to run out fine. The fans are both working, cutting in and out (appear to be keeping the temperature stable at 200-202 degrees F). Are these temperatures normal?
Regards
Argento308

·
Registered
293 Posts
The radiator appears OK, I flushed it out with a hose and the water appeared to run out fine. The fans are both working, cutting in and out (appear to be keeping the temperature stable at 200-202 degrees F). Are these temperatures normal?
Regards
Argento308
That is normal depending on ambient temperature. If you were just letting the car idle and not driving it or driving the car at under 45 mph and the ambient was over 85F your temperature is normal.

Make sure you 'burp' the radiator by opening the top screw on the top of the radiator (brass colored) and when you do this make sure the in cabin heater is turned on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Boxer & Steven,
That temperature was with the car idling for 30 minutes, I'll give it a run on the road and see how it goes. I did let all the air out of the system on both the bleeders, so I don't think there is any air left in it. Would 14 litres of fluid be correct or is the manual which states 18 litres be correct? Does the engine hold fluid with the thermostat hose disconnected? If so, does anyone know how much it holds?
Regards
Argento308

·
Registered
366 Posts
As you suggested, the engine will hold some coolant even if all the hoses are disconnected. To remove the last few liters, you have to open up two block drains on the engine itself. -Steve

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks Boxer & Steven,
That temperature was with the car idling for 30 minutes...
Glad you burped it. From what you say things sound normal and i would not get overly retnetitve about coolant amount provided you have the right fluid height in the rear expansion tank. BTW, idling an engine for more than 10 minutes is a bit much IMO.

If you were idling for 30 minutes and she was not overheating you should be fine. Idling is about the worst thing you could do as you get heat soak and other things do to no air moving through the radiator (sana fans) and engine bay.

Relax, your car seems fine. Drive it like you stole it :)

http://www.ferraritweaks.com/videos/nhis101906.wmv

1 - 9 of 9 Posts