Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I will find out if I'm buying my 1st Ferrari, a 1980 308 GTSI....that will be a seperate post, with pictures. A quick question for now:

Why the HELL does this car's speedometer run out of MPH after 80??
You know, it's face is a red color after 80, insted of going up to 180?

I know I will never go that fast, and the car cannot anyway, BUT I hate the look of it.

Can I purchase a new or used face, or do I have to find a new/different one??

Sorry for the rant, the car is mint besides the speedometer!

Also, where can I find floor matts with the Cavellino for less than $298.00. A little steep for floor matts.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Frank,
Hope you get the car. Don't worry about the speedo, you can thank the US Department of Transportation for the 80 mph speedometer. When the national speed limit was 55 mph back in the late 70's early 80's the DOT made it a requirement that speedometers not register speeds higher than 80 mph. I guess they figured that would prevent people from "seeing how fast it would go". You can buy a 200 mph replacement speedometer but it is $500. I looked into it because my car also has the 80 mph speedo. I didn't bother changing it. I've found that the only time I look at the speedometer is to see how slow the idiot in front of me is going.

The plus side is that when the nice officer asks you if you know how fast you were going you can say, "Yes Sir, 80 miles per hour." So you can fight the ticket that says you were doing 135 mph in a 65 mph zone.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The plus side is that when the nice officer asks you if you know how fast you were going you can say, "Yes Sir, 80 miles per hour." So you can fight the ticket that says you were doing 135 mph in a 65 mph zone.
Personal experience, Pete?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts