Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of removing the head on a 308 QV engine and have a question; do I need to remove the cams, or can I leave them on the head while I pull it off. Do I risk snapping them when I retorque the head bolts?
THX
Franck

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I don't think that the camshafts would be damaged during re-assembly, I think the greater risk would be damaging any open valves during cylinder head removal/replacement. I would pull the cams just to be on the safe side. And now for the............

Disclaimer: I, personally, have never pulled the cylinder heads on a Ferrari engine.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I think you have no choice but to remove the cams, as the head nuts are UNDER the cam journals (well, not literally under the journals, but under the castings in the heads for the journals). I imagine you have the special tool for this...

Bret M. on this site is in the midst of his QV rebuild/hot rodding, he can give you all the dirty details about pulling the heads...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, I ordered the head removal too and the set of gasket/ seals. I guess I will the cams off if only to the replace the seals. One is leaking so I am sure the ohter three are not far behind...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts