Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to ask what other 308 owners' note their "casual driving" oil pressure is. The owner's manual states that oil pressure should not be below 78 psi or over 92.5 psi with the engine running at 6,000 RPM and an oil temperature of 212 degrees F. I'm very seldom at those limits.

Barry

·
Registered
133 Posts
I also have a 1978 GTB. My oil pressure was all over the place and down to zero when hot. I changed the sending unit.It now is around 85 at 210 oil temp.It still drops off at lights but if I rev it it goes back up.I checked with mechanical gauge and found it is ok.My best check is with car hot and temp up stop and with car in idle and neutral remove oil fill cap(careful HOT) and see how well oil is pumping all over the place.If it is pumping up and around good and gauge is reading next to nothing you know problem lies in gauge,sending unit etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My oil psi runs about 80-85 going down the road, and about 35 or so at idle
on my 78 gts. How long does it take for you other 308 people to get oil psi
on cold start up? I changed my oil and used the proper fram filter,(got it
at a ferrari dealer) 20w50 Mobile mineral oil, and it takes a good 2 to3
seconds for pressure. I think next time i'll go to a k&n oil filter. What do you all think? Thanks Dan

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dan, Not to worry, your oil pressure is just fine. Sounds like 2 to 3 secs is about right to pull up pressure.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dan, Did your dealer tell you where you could buy the 20w 50w mineral oil? More than likely it is a castor oil. See if you can find out where to purchase it and post it here. Thanks,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Magoo for the info! It makes ownership of these cars a lot more
enjoyable when we can get help online. I got the oil at Auto Zone, a couple of threads on Ferrarichat agreed 20w50 is a good oil for the 308. I chose mobile because the previous owner used it. Hope this helps. Dan

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Dan Tosi said:
It makes ownership of these cars a lot more
enjoyable when we can get help online.
Agreed!!!! I could not have owned this car 10 years ago. It is so much more enjoyable having boards like this to connect with other owners and enthusiasts and all the online parts suppliers, etc.

I just changed my oil and put in 8 qts pennzoil 20/50, 1 qt Lucas HD oil stabilizer (Always had good luck with Lucas racing products) and a Wix filter. It was showing about 100 psi, at high idle when cold. The oil pressure gauge stopped working the day after the oil change so I haven't any more info on pressures.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan, Magoo, Bruno, Pete and Kelly,

Thanks for your quick response. I get similar readings at idle and on the highway.

Dan, on a cold start, my oil pressure guage sometimes hesitates 2-3 seconds also before it comes alive.

I'm using AGIP Sint 2000 10W40 and an UFI filter.

Thanks again everyone,
Barry

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dan, What you are saying is that you got the 20-50w mineral oil, castor oil, by Mobile at Auto zone? Are you sure it wasn't Mobile 1 synthetic. The reason I ask is that I have been trying to find castor oil here in the states. I understand it can be ordered from England but I haven't found it here. Thanks, Magoo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi magoo. No its not synthetic, just mobile ,but not mobile1. I think I only
paid about $1.35 per quart. I had to look for it because they keep it on
lowest rack, and only 1 slot. I guess it doesnt sell real fast,nor did they have it by the case,but they did carry it. Give em a try. Blue bottle 20w50.
Dan

·
Registered
575 Posts
Dan Tosi said:
My oil psi runs about 80-85 going down the road, and about 35 or so at idle
on my 78 gts. How long does it take for you other 308 people to get oil psi
on cold start up? I changed my oil and used the proper fram filter,(got it
at a ferrari dealer) 20w50 Mobile mineral oil, and it takes a good 2 to3
seconds for pressure. I think next time i'll go to a k&n oil filter. What do you all think? Thanks Dan
Similar numbers here:
-Hot idle waiting at traffic light: as low as 20 PSI
-Cruising above 2000RPM: 85 PSI

Takes a second or two to build up pressure on a cold start-up

I've been running Castrol Syntec 5W50 for quite a while now with no problems.

DON'T USE K&N OIL FILTERS! These do not have an internal stand-pipe, so oil drains out of them and back into the engine within minutes of shut-down. Use UFI or less expensive (but WAY better quality) Baldwin B253 filters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did check my box on the K&N and it says it has an anti drain back valve,
is that a different animal than the standpipe? Thanks Dan

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dan, Yes it is a different animal. Some filters advertise a anti-drain off valve. I have yet to see one work, and I have examined a lot of filters. Also I cut them in half to inspect and check for oil. The pipe is just what it says it is. It stands up in the filter holding the oil in the filter so it doesn't drain back into the engine . The valve, well I guess it sells filters. To be sure use a filter with a stand pipe. Baldwin is probably the best of the bunch.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Also Peter, Thanks for the lesson on castor oil, but I know what it is. I thought he was using the other word because he wasn't totally sure what type oil he had. Seems like we talked about castor oil before.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts