Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I would be very grateful if you could tell me what you think I should do to fix 2 issues on the 308 vetroresina that I noticed during my 850 km/530 mile drive from St Malo to Amsterdam. These are fairly minor problems as the car made it back and still sounds good with all vital signs good.

1. misfire
About 200km into my drive yesterday, the car started to jerk, pop and lose power. I have just had the distributor done. I backed off the throttle and drove the rest of the way back on a very light throttle keeping reves between 3000-4000rpm (130-145km/h). By feathering the throttle the misfire returned less frequently than before and the car went through periods where it felt crisp and smooth again, but I took it easy. I also noticed that somethimes when going through the gears (revs limited to 4000), there would be a sound of metal rattling on metal in 4th gear. Into 5th and that sound was gone. My 911 2.7 also made that sound (much more often) and was diagnosed with a faulty alternator/generator. I think the misfire could electrical although the generator light did not come on. It could also be fuel starvation? I run the car on 98 Octane unleaded and top it up with unleaded replacement (Elf or Wynns). I do not let the tank drop much below a quarter tank.

2. peculiar smell

About 500km into the drive and I noticed while driving an unpleasant smell a bit like burning rubber. After filling up and sniffing in the engine compartment and it had the normal, great Ferrari smell. When I parked the car last night and got out, outside the car but not in the engine compartment, I could smell a smell that could only be described as the smell of rotten eggs. I am not sure whether this is linked to the spike in water temperature. When driving, water temp set a fraction above 75 Centigrade and oil just below 80 Centigrade-perfect. When turning off the highway and driving on the back roads home, the water temp went to just below maximum of 120 and then stablised just above 90 as I drove slowly along. The oil temp and pressure remained fine. It seems the airflow through the radiator kept the water temp down but when driving slowly and stopping at lights, the temp shot up. I have not checked the water level as I only got back at 2 this morning.

I would be very grateful for any ideas the experts may have, as I believe that these problems are small at the moment, but want to resolve them before they grow. Also when the 308 is on song, it is magnificent to drive and I want to keep her on song to feed the bond that is growing between us.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yesterday on the way home from work I stopped by the garage I rent to check out the 308. I noticed that the coolant level was low. I also noted from the invoice for the distributor that they had re-gassed the air conditioner . I checked the air conditioner switches in the cabin and saw that the left switch (cold intensity) was on although the fan switch was off. This led me to conclude that I had driven with the airconditioner on all weekend (or at least with one of the two rediator fans driving the air conditioner) with the windows open. Could this be the reason for the water loss, the spike in water temperature when not having air flowing through the radiator and the horrible smell (leaking air conditioner coolant)?

Last night instead of packing for an impending move, I read the owner's manual (should have done that in the first place, I know). I have turned the airconditioner off and will top up the coolant. Hopefully this will take care of that issue and I only have the intermittent misfire to sort out. Your thoughts and suggestions on what to do about the misfire would be hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Hi David,

sorry to hear about your little niggles. I can't provide much help myself, but I suggest you drive the car to Forza Service in Oss and let the owner, Alex Jansen, have a look at it. He'll be happy to tell you what the story is, they don't call him the Wizard of Oss for nothing. Tell him I sent you over - he's a fantastic guy.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Gentlemen, I would be very grateful if you could tell me what you think I should do to fix 2 issues on the 308 vetroresina that I noticed during my 850 km/530 mile drive from St Malo to Amsterdam. These are fairly minor problems as the car made it back and still sounds good with all vital signs good.

1. misfire
About 200km into my drive yesterday, the car started to jerk, pop and lose power. I have just had the distributor done.
2. peculiar smell

About 500km into the drive and I noticed while driving an unpleasant smell a bit like burning rubber. QUOTE]

Hi

Given the amount of miles you cover, I assume you have filled up at fuel stations along the way? Both symptoms could be explained by a poor dose of fuel. When unleaded was first released here in oz, cars without catalytic converters produced a very pronounced rotten egg gas smell,

Just a thought - it might be worth running the tank down and seeing if the problem persists with fresh fuel

All the best

Kon

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kon, this does make me feel a lot better. I did indeed fill up along the way a number of times and perhaps the 850km drive in one go helped to get rid of some old fuel sitting at the bottom of the fuel tank? Sunny weather is predicted for Amsterdam this weekend and so I will check the coolant and oil and then go for a run to run the tank right down before filling up with fresh fuel. Also I have some new Wynns additive that I will add to the fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts