Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the hope that we (in the UK) will actually have a sunner next year, I've decided to get stuck in and do the engine work i've been promising to do for nearly a year.
The belts need replaced.
5th to 4th gear bulk ring needs replaced.
Sticking valve in number 7 or 8 cylinder.

Plus I want to give the engine a really good clean and a bit of a repaint. To do all this I am going to drop the engine out. Never done it before so it'll be fun. Needless to say if anyone has done it before please don't be shy about keeping me right as I go along. In the hope that it might be of use to other people on the site I'm going to add photo and text as I go along. rather than use up space here I will put everything here on my site. http://www.maranellohouse.com/308restoration.html

I do hope it'll be of use to some of you and at least you'll probably learn a bit from my mistakes :embarassed:

Here goes.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
In the hope that we (in the UK) will actually have a sunner next year, I've decided to get stuck in and do the engine work i've been promising to do for nearly a year.
The belts need replaced.
5th to 4th gear bulk ring needs replaced.
Sticking valve in number 7 or 8 cylinder.

Plus I want to give the engine a really good clean and a bit of a repaint. To do all this I am going to drop the engine out. Never done it before so it'll be fun. Needless to say if anyone has done it before please don't be shy about keeping me right as I go along. In the hope that it might be of use to other people on the site I'm going to add photo and text as I go along. rather than use up space here I will put everything here on my site. http://www.maranellohouse.com/308restoration.html

I do hope it'll be of use to some of you and at least you'll probably learn a bit from my mistakes :embarassed:

Here goes.
I think Pete04222 has pulled the engine on his 308 GTB. Suggest you PM him for advise.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I was thinking about Pete. I'll have a chat with him once I get all the surounding bits off and I'm ready to lift it out. But Ta for reminding me.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
look fwd to reading the in-outs of this. Know many who usually pull pre-348 engines out just to make it easier. Have a mech in town, not Ferrari trained, who does a lot of Mondials in Sonoma.

Get pleanty of tags for those wires you pull off to correlate to correctly put back in, and
get some rubber gloves/plastic bags to tape over the ports as they become open.

Photogragh everything....helps on the memory: well, at least in my case.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update. Firstly I haven't gone completely awol, just been really busy and have had no time of late.

I've started with stripping bits off to get the engine out but so far just doing things as time allows. I'm almost ready to lift the engine out now and hope to do this over the next few weeks.
All the photos in the link below.

http://www.maranellohouse.com/308restoration.html

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Quick update. Firstly I haven't gone completely awol, just been really busy and have had no time of late.

I've started with stripping bits off to get the engine out but so far just doing things as time allows. I'm almost ready to lift the engine out now and hope to do this over the next few weeks.
All the photos in the link below.

http://www.maranellohouse.com/308restoration.html
Glad to hear all is well. Looking forward to following your progress on the 308.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right it was raining as usual this morning so decided to get everything ready to lift the engine out. :yikes: Erm it's a tight fit and Bl**dy heavy! broke the straps I had on it to lift when I started lifting. So had to go looking a stronger rope. I have it all ready to go but I think I'm going to need help on this one to manoeuvre the thing out.
Now what mug, I mean, helpful soul can I find to give me a hand :bolt:

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
hands across the water, but, thinking it isn't helping much......

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Right it was raining as usual this morning so decided to get everything ready to lift the engine out. :yikes: Erm it's a tight fit and Bl**dy heavy! broke the straps I had on it to lift when I started lifting. So had to go looking a stronger rope. I have it all ready to go but I think I'm going to need help on this one to manoeuvre the thing out.
Now what mug, I mean, helpful soul can I find to give me a hand :bolt:
Suggest you get in contact with newman who just successfully compelted an amazing restoration:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9171

He might have some tips on how to get it out.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
ya' like getting it done THIS year :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ Boxer. Yes been following his thread. I thought I was doing ok until I read his thread :yikes:

@ Granucci. :LOL:The way I'm going we'll all have :disguise: by the time I get it back on the road.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Well, good thing is, my youngest, 4 1/2 month old granddaughter is following this thread.....

when you finish, I'm giving her the Mondial T....figure she'll be 15-16 years old, by then and good to go.
:p

rik

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, good thing is, my youngest, 4 1/2 month old granddaughter is following this thread.....

when you finish, I'm giving her the Mondial T....figure she'll be 15-16 years old, by then and good to go.
:p

rik
:jawdrop: That's like an arrow through the heart, have faith it'll be back on the road by the end of the year, :uhoh::worried2::uhoh2:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Here's an idea that would be good for a great travel experience.

ENZ9_1 wants to remove his engine. Pleanty of us have experiences.

Why not organize tours of 3-5 guys (or whatever) to go visit the one who needs the help such as ENZ9_1? The job gets done, we make new friends, and everyone has a great time! Everyone brings the tools he knows work for a particulat job, etc.

Something like "Backyard Mechanics W/O Boarders", "Nut Busters", "Granucci Grinders", etc?

Rik and I would be good cuase we'd keep telling jokes all day to keep everyone peppy, and the job would get done quickly and correctly.

No drinking til the job is done!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gcalo Really nice thought, thank you.

However I was so enraged by Granucci's comments :grin2: I got stuck in this morning and can proudly announce that the engine is now OUT and sitting on the floor. Things weren't pretty at times and the air was blue on more than one occassion when I couldn't help myself and said "oh jings" but with the help of a mate a crane and 3 sets of straps, it's done. So now I can take my time and putter at it while sorting all the other stuff out.

Thank you Granucci :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
:jawdrop: That's like an arrow through the heart, have faith it'll be back on the road by the end of the year, :uhoh::worried2::uhoh2:

She'll be 16 in 2024.....is that the year?

:swordfight:

lol

Gcalo Really nice thought, thank you.

However I was so enraged by Granucci's comments :grin2: I got stuck in this morning and can proudly announce that the engine is now OUT and sitting on the floor. Things weren't pretty at times and the air was blue on more than one occassion when I couldn't help myself and said "oh jings" but with the help of a mate a crane and 3 sets of straps, it's done. So now I can take my time and putter at it while sorting all the other stuff out.

Thank you Granucci :thumbsup:
we are here to push if not help.... :D

but honestly, do go slow and deliberate, there is stuff in there not to miss.... just don't let my grand-daughter reach driving age before you finish this one :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There a couple of little bits of the body that I wasn't satisfied with after the car repaint so I'm very tempted to go over the body again, take out any imperfections and repaint the entire car. If I do that it won't be on the road this year. Would be worth in the end though.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
may I suggest that the bearings be replace with Hill engr. in the UK, you will thank us later.

and might as well do that water pump, you thank us again

while your at it, start getting a case of cleaner ... man, are there bats in there :batbanana:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts