Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post, but I am a long-time Tifosi of Ferrari!!
I am planning on buying my first, which will probably be an older 308 GTS, 1977-1980, as long as it's red.
I am putting a budget together now, and I am hoping that some of you can help me with it.
I would like to know what is the lowest price that I can expect to pay for the above car in good running and good overall condition. Again...nothing in like-new condition with low miles, but a good running car in nice shape.
I know that this is a subjective question, so I guess that I am looking for some educated opinions.

Thank You for taking the time to respond to a "new guy".
Frank

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Well Frank, Welcome to the Forum...great people here

First, it all depends in what country you live in…prices can vary quite a bit on location…

How much do you wish to spend and what is the maximum $$$ your willing to spend ???

~

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Magnum,
Thanks for the reply.
I have seen them advertised for under $20,000 all the way to $40,000, so I am assuming that $40,000 would get you a mint car, and under 20 would need some work???
I live in the New York City area, and the car would only get taken out weekends on a nice day.
I am trying to get an idea on what to expect for a given price, and what to watch out for.
Thanks again, and I'm happy that I found this forum!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Im thinking an average price for one in good shape would be around 30-40K but not mint. Mint condition I would think maybe close to 50K. Now 20K, im thinking it’s only good for parts, probably has a blown engine, rust, needs a complete new interior and been sitting in a lot or back yard for 5-7 years…but who knows, somebody could be completely broke and out of luck and looking to sell fast…

Now that's just my opinion, maybe some of the guys here who one can tell you how much would be a good price...

~

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes, I agree. Low 30's seems to be the going rate for a good driver. Remember, though, that these cars are now close to 30 years old, and for this price will need some work. Do you have the space, facilities and skills to do some of the work yourself?

As for what to look for, there are two big issues. First, make sure there is documentation on the last major service, which includes timing belts and valve adjustment. If not, subtract a bunch of $$$, because you'll have to do it immediately. The other issue is rust. Not only can it become a structural issue, but at the very least it is horrible to work on the car. All the little bolts break off in bad places. If you have to go out west or south to find a good car, it's worth the plane fare. -Steve

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
$30k would seem to be a reasonable starting point. Golden rule is to buy the best you can afford. A car with needs will become a financial black hole very quickly. I would plan on spending 6 months and seeing at least 5-6 cars before making a final decision. There is a good dealer in Connecticut who normally has a few good 308's.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the responses. I will look around and see what's out there.I was hoping for a good one in the low 20's.
Yes, I know the place in Ct. It's called Miller Motorcars and I have been there quite a few times already. They primarily deal with new and mint used cars, so I think that I will have to find one privatly.
Thanks again, and I look foreward to more comments!

Frank

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Hi Frank,

Welcome to the site. Another place you might look at is in NY but I'm not sure how close this is to you. Their reputation is second to none:

http://www.autosportdesigns.com/

They generally have older cars and might run across a 308 here and there. I am not sure you would want a 308 GTS in the low $20s as it will likely have been abused. The cost to bring it up to speed might make it worth looking for a low $30s 308.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts