Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the 308 GTB out for a good run today. One thing that was a concern was the Water Tempature Gauge. Most of the time is was fine. Sat right at 90 degrees or less on the highway. As soon as I got off the highway and had to wind my way through a few towns, it moved up quickly to the 105 range. Never much above this but still a concern. I did check the radiator fans and they are working perfectly. Any suggestions ?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Was it a warm day out? Did you have the A/C on? 105° isn't really that hot and I would trust completely the accuracy of the gauge.

Next time I have my car out I'll let you know what I observe.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pete04222 said:
Was it a warm day out? Did you have the A/C on? 105° isn't really that hot and I would trust completely the accuracy of the gauge.

Next time I have my car out I'll let you know what I observe.
Yes it was quite warm out (about 85 F). The only reason for questioning the accurancy was the speed in which it both increased from 90 to 105 and then dropped back down again,

Thanks for checking.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Just reread what I posted and realized I misspelled a word. I meant that "I wouldn't completely trust the gauge." I gather you realised my error.

Did you happen to notice if the oil temperature was doing the same thing?

I assume you have already rechecked all the fluid levels to make sure none of them are low.

Just a theory, It could be that the thermostat was partially closed due to the higher coolant velocity at the highway speeds, trying to prevent the engine from being overcooled, and then when you brought it into town and the speed of the engine and the speed of the coolant decreased, the thermostat stuck for a minute giving you that quick rise in temperature. When the thermostat became unstuck and went fully open, the temperature quickly went back down.

Keep an eye on it. I wouldn't really become overly concerned until it starts climbing up over 110.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
°C. 90 is what the thermostat should be regulating the temperature to.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Boxer,
Had my car out today and noted that on the highway the gauge was reading about 185°f. When I got into town and slowed down the temp was at 195°. It stayed there until I got back on the highway and went back to 185°.

It was about 80°f outside and the A/C was off (doesn't work).

I think my gauge probably reads a little low, maybe yours reads a little high.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pete04222 said:
Boxer,
Had my car out today and noted that on the highway the gauge was reading about 185°f. When I got into town and slowed down the temp was at 195°. It stayed there until I got back on the highway and went back to 185°.

It was about 80°f outside and the A/C was off (doesn't work).

I think my gauge probably reads a little low, maybe yours reads a little high.
Pete, Many thanks for following up. I will be taking it out again in a few days and will advice how it reads this time. My guess is that it just reads high. Cheers, Boxer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts