Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing like acquiring a tipo, falling in love with the driving experience and then becoming even more taken with the car after a bit of "research".

Bear with me as I don my anorak and in a nasally, high-pitched voice share some fascinating facts about the 308 GTB vetroresina.

Thanks to reading period road tests of 308s in various guises together with the excellent car guides from qv500.com, I have learnt that even amongst the fiberglass 308s, there are some interesting differences.

US, Japan and Autralia vetroresina versions had the wet-sump F106 AE engine whilst the Europe cars had the dry-sump F106 AB engine. All GTS's had the wet-sump engine while early, Europe steel bodied GTBs had the dry sump engine.

Apparently the F106 AE engine was not a potent as the AB engine. This is borne out by period road tests where the best times for US vetroresinas were about 1.5 seconds slower 0-60mph than the European cars. The Road & Track car was even worse taking about 3 seconds longer than a European car from 0-60, was not able to complete the slalom course in both directions due to excessive oil surge and suffered a clutch pedal that stuck to the floor when making fast changes above 7000rpm! It seems that the real hotrod of the 308range is the European vetroresina.

Michelotto (with Ferrari assistance) built 11 308 GTB Group 4 cars from 1978-1985. The earliest chassis used was #18380 that they prepared and sold in 1983 to a customer in the US. This is an earlier chassis than my #18729 and may have been one of the 308 GTB prototypes?

Once my hectic travel schedule calms down, I will get out and start driving the 308 more. And then I will remove my anorak and focus on driving fast rather than boring you with my research.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
hehehehe you're taking the ownership very seriously, aren't you??

very nice write up, did you finish your studies with a practical class taking the 308 out for a ride?

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Surely chassis #18,380 was not from 1983? Or maybe you meant it was sold on in 1983.

#18,381 is a 365 GT4/BB from late 1975.

Onno

P.S. May I now join the Afro-Dutch chapter of Anoraks Anonymous?
JazzyO, what about your second car plans ? (BB's etc.) any move on this?:)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stile-alpine, unfortunately studies continue and practical class (driving the 308 far and fast) has to wait thanks to a hectic schedule and work getting in the way. This Sunday I jump into the white car and drive to Le Mans to meet a mate with his 996 GT3RS. He has kindly invited me to share the driving seat at a trackday at the Le Mans Bugatti Circuit on Monday. The following weekend some more madmen join us for the Le Mans Classic-24 hours of ex-Le Mans racers from 1923-1979 blasting around the track. We have to dress period-I will wear my McQueen Gulf Racing jacket and stare moodily into the distance. The white car is better suited to the role of McQueen in light of the coolest movie ever made, Le Mans.

Onno, welcome to the Afro-Dutch Chapter of Anoraks Anonymous, a global organisation of, er, anoraks. The 308 GTB Group 4 cars are interesting as they have much earlier chassis numbers than the dates that they were supplied by Michelotto. Ferrari supplied the chassis to Michelotto and my guess would be that they would not take cars off the production line but sent to Michelotto existing cars "lying around" , such as #18380 that may have been a prototype.

Roll on August when I return from Le Mans, Morocco and India and get to take the 308 on a long drive. Through France.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
JazzyO, what about your second car plans ? (BB's etc.) any move on this?:)
There is a second car in the works, 212. Actually a third as I bought a nice E46 325Ci a month ago for the run to the shops. Unfortunately, it's not a Ferrari. With Boxer prices where they are, I've decided it's a little bit of a stretch for me at this point and I'm not sure where I'm going with my job. So I'd like some cash in the bank and I'm postponing the BB purchase. But I've very much decided there'll be a BB for next season, even if prices climb. I just love that shape, that engine, the whole concept of it.

So, for this summer, I have to have something else to entertain me. Therefore, I'm looking at some raw thrills from the car pictured below. It's a LHD TVR Griffith, a truly rare beast (probably around 40 built). I know about their reputation for breaking down but this one has only had 1 owner from new (ie for 15 years) and I'm buying it with warranty so I think it'll be OK. She'll be louder than my 550 and almost as quick. No ASR on this thing, a truly fun driver's car. I have not made up my mind completely yet but hopefully my brother will take her for a test drive this week or next.

David, thanks for the interesting background info. Let me know your schedule in August, I'll be in Holland from the 1st till the 11th. I need to see your 308!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Congratulations to your new car ! I have never before seen this specific example of a TVR ??! Have lots of fun with it ! (I myself "grow up" in the back of a Spitfire MK 2, so I have some english roots as well)

Besides, stepping back and waiting in cash is never a bad idea and needs discipline as well (as you obviously have). Your dream of a BB512 or BB365 will be fulfilled, but this year's season is anyway half way done. Would you prefer the 512 BB or the 365 BB ?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Stile-alpine, unfortunately studies continue and practical class (driving the 308 far and fast) has to wait thanks to a hectic schedule and work getting in the way. This Sunday I jump into the white car and drive to Le Mans to meet a mate with his 996 GT3RS. He has kindly invited me to share the driving seat at a trackday at the Le Mans Bugatti Circuit on Monday. The following weekend some more madmen join us for the Le Mans Classic-24 hours of ex-Le Mans racers from 1923-1979 blasting around the track. We have to dress period-I will wear my McQueen Gulf Racing jacket and stare moodily into the distance. The white car is better suited to the role of McQueen in light of the coolest movie ever made, Le Mans.
Vitalone, that is very nice! Even not involving the Ferrari, I hope you take some time to share the experiences with the P-car in Le Mans. And of course, pictures are always welcome too!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
There is a second car in the works, 212. Actually a third as I bought a nice E46 325Ci a month ago for the run to the shops. Unfortunately, it's not a Ferrari. With Boxer prices where they are, I've decided it's a little bit of a stretch for me at this point and I'm not sure where I'm going with my job. So I'd like some cash in the bank and I'm postponing the BB purchase. But I've very much decided there'll be a BB for next season, even if prices climb. I just love that shape, that engine, the whole concept of it.

So, for this summer, I have to have something else to entertain me. Therefore, I'm looking at some raw thrills from the car pictured below. It's a LHD TVR Griffith, a truly rare beast (probably around 40 built). I know about their reputation for breaking down but this one has only had 1 owner from new (ie for 15 years) and I'm buying it with warranty so I think it'll be OK. She'll be louder than my 550 and almost as quick. No ASR on this thing, a truly fun driver's car. I have not made up my mind completely yet but hopefully my brother will take her for a test drive this week or next.

David, thanks for the interesting background info. Let me know your schedule in August, I'll be in Holland from the 1st till the 11th. I need to see your 308!

Onno
Onno, congrats on the Griff. They are one of my favorite cars. You are right about the noise and the performance, truly awesome machines. Don't worry about the stories of reliability, most of them are myths and exaggeration. Did you get the 4.3 or the 5.0?

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's a LHD TVR Griffith, a truly rare beast (probably around 40 built). I know about their reputation for breaking down but this one has only had 1 owner from new (ie for 15 years) and I'm buying it with warranty so I think it'll be OK. She'll be louder than my 550 and almost as quick. No ASR on this thing, a truly fun driver's car. I have not made up my mind completely yet but hopefully my brother will take her for a test drive this week or next.

Onno
Now that's a car for real man!
love the sound & looks, and driving quick in the wet is probably as demanding as driving a F40 in the wet..

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
My apologies to Vitalone for seriously hijacking this thread!

Thanks for all the compliments guys but I have not bought the car yet.

@Archie - it's a 4.3. There is also a 500 for sale that's been bored out to 5.3L, but that concept is scaring me more than a little bit.

@Pterps - I'm sure that Harald will not protest you joining him. He's organising a test drive at the moment for either next Friday or Saturday. When I know more I'll let you know. You're right about taking pics - we'll organise a Dutch Chapter meet and have a nice drive.

@212Export - my preference for a 365 or 512 I think will need to be decided by practical experience. I like the refinement of the 512, but the rarity and raw excitement of the 365 are also intriguing. In the end, I think it may well come down to an individual car that I'll bump into, rather than the model.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I have driven a Griff a few times. Wonderful hairy chested beasts. Very involving and quite mad. They have a very hard core cult following in the UK.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
If I had access to a mechanic who knew anything about Griffs, I would definitely consider picking one up. Last time I looked, you could get a nice one for GBP 12-14k.
Yes, that's a decent price, although the best ones go up to GBP20k. LHD examples are very rare, and they are typically around EUR35k, so basically twice the price. But they hold their value extremely well, and the one I'm considering buying is offered with warranty from the original dealer. I have thought about a right-hand drive one, after all half the money is half the money, but then I have to import it and Dutch taxes will half the difference. And then there is resale - a RHD one will be much, much, harder to sell when the time comes.

Onno, not sure if RHD is of interest? But there are two RHD Boxers for sale in the UK for approx £60K - a good time to buy with the Euro so strong against the pound. www.rardley.com
Thanks Archie! The pound is good if you compare to the Euro but I earn in USD so I lose either way. :(

I had seen those Boxers and it's quite likely I'll move to London on a semi-permanent basis in the next 6 months but as you know cars like that are more hassle than anything else in that city so I do still have a preference for LHD as I plan to store the car in Holland.

But their prices are very good, that's for sure. I'm thinking, though, that it won't hurt to look around a bit more, I think we are still not fully seeing the impact of the financial pinch a lot of people are feeling (and I'm very sorry you're one of them of course!). After this summer, I think quite a few additional people will let their toys go. Or they will finally accept lower prices for the cars they're advertising right now, still at 2007 prices.

Onno

1 - 17 of 17 Posts