Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never thought of posting this before so here goes in the hope someone can help.
I have a 1980 308 GTSi, US spec. Since the day I bought it almost 3 years ago there has been a whistle come from the exhaust system when excellerating that I can only describe as making the sound of a "VW Beetle" :eek: I have changed the silencer, taken off the cats (not needed in N.I) looked around as much of the system I can see for leaks but to no avail. If I excellerate really hard it just turns into a high pitch whistle which ruins the note of the engine.

Has anyone ever had any experiance of this ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ta in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,738 Posts
Original exhaust system ?

Possibly an aftermarket system not fitting properly, fit problem, or rust resulting in a leak under pressure ? When I bought my 365 BB the silencer had rust and it sounded like an American V8 w/ backfire now and then. Everythings corrected now, back to the normal BB music. Good luck. Jimmy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ta Guys.
Manafold seems to be ok and the system is original. Changed the silencer as I thought it was it to but still there. Even got to thinking it was the water pump, yes grasping at straws now.
I plan over the winter to pull the engine out to clean it up for the shows next year and to replace 5th/4th gear syncro as it's playing up, so maybe I'll find the source then.
I was really curious to see if anyone else had experienced the same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Yup!

I'll bet that a previous owner removed the air pump, right? As well as the set of eight (8) nozzles which feed into the exhaust area of the head, also right? And that the holes left by the removal of the nozzles were simply plugged with common bolts, third right?

Assuming right, right, and right, the noise that you hear is due to the exhaust gases flowing over the holes in the exhaust ports left behind when the injection nozzles were removed. Like blowing over the open top of a beer bottle.

To fix this, you need to replace the bolts with stepped bolts which extend down into these port holes.

Numerous pictures and step-by-step details of this operation are clearly shown on my website:

http://groups.msn.com/Ferrari308GTSi

Enjoy - DM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! Dave excellent site, it puts mine to shame. Your mods are excellent. Very subtle but make a such a difference and have given me some really good ideas. Would you mind if I pick your brains on were to get some of the bits you have done etc ?

Oh nearly forgot, thanks to looking at your site, I haven't removed the air rail. I plugged up the end pipe after I took the pump off as I didn't want to go that far. The whistle seems to come from low down on the right hand side of the engine (as you look at the car from the rear). I should have said it was doing it before I removed any of the cat/air system and was the original reason I replaced the silencer at the time. It only does it as the car warms up and about 90% of the time, the other 10% the engine sounds like it should.
Right I'm away back to look at your site. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Sure, no probs!

Post here and ask me whatever you want.

I think that you said that you were going to be pulling the engine soon, correct? This'll give you the opportunity to clean up that whole nozzle business. If yours are still in the head, you are really plugging up the ports.

I still suspect that your whistle noise, from your description, is due to these nozzles. No other reasonable explanantion for it!

However, down below the old air pump you will also find the EGR set-up. If yours is only half there, or disabled, or whatever, there's another world of potential whistle wierdness there.

Cheers - DM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dave. Yes, planning if all goes well over the winter to take the engine out and get it all cleaned up. If it comes out anywere near as good as yours I will be a very happy chappie..
I'll try and not pester you to much, but if I do it's because you came up with some really good ideas to breathe new life into the car.
I already have the front spoiler done and removed the rear side markers. The wheels when I can afford it were next but have been put on hold until I get the syncro done. This will be the chance to do all the engine stuff properly as well.. I'm now looking forward to doing it after seeing what you did.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top