Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 308's carb's. hold there sync.? Or How long do they hold sync.?
I am sure it is how you drive. Just a rough est. I am trying to research between 308's - 328's as to the model to buy. If I do buy a 308, is it tough to learn to sync them myself? (I love working on nice cars).

Also, are there books/sites out there to learn more about these models of Ferrari's?
Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you get a carbed model 308 you will find that once the carbs are syncd. properly you won't have to touch them. That is a "Old wives tale." Also if you get a 308-328 there will be plenty of knowledge and help here on the F.F. to answer any of your questions.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yes, as Magoo said, the 308's carburettors, once properly adjusted and synchronized, will stay that way. Mine were done about 10 years ago and are doing fine. Recently, I had my car at an authorized Ferrari service center nearby for some minor servicing. The car was given a thorough going-over, road-tested and their chief technician reported that all was in order.

Barry

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I think I will go for a carb'd 308. What is the best year carb'd models?
I know, what does best mean. Things like known bugs between years, any int. changes for the good, reliability issues, things like that.

Darren

·
Registered
457 Posts
Darren,

Go for a non-catalytic carbed 308. You'll find they're very reliable if properly maintained over the car's history. Test drive as many as you can, including the fuel-injected 2-valve and QV models, so you can appreciate the difference the carbs make.

Barry

·
Registered
575 Posts
Fuel-injection does make the car behave and drive easier. My car will die on a steep hill waiting for a traffic light (carbs flood. And the ones on mine are set correctly). Mashing the throttle pedal will bog down a carb car. You must learn a proper technique to drive a carb car. The reward is the sound coming out of the tail-pipes (and the rush of air in the intake)... It's a very involving experience and gives you the sense of driving a machine, not just a car.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Funny Peter,I have never had those problems with my 308. Maybe a slight hesitation on mashing the accellerator, but not much to notice. I will say though that the older carb. cars are somewhat faster on pick up and response then the "first" fuel injected cars.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It happened to me recently on a club drive. We waited on a hill for the others in the back of our group to catch up and the car died. It slowly got "fluffy" and just stopped running. The car behind me said later when I started up and drove away, I left a strong trail of raw fumes.

So the carbs flooded. They are BANG-ON set otherwise (float levels, mixtures, flow rates, etc...).

I must stress, this was a STEEP hill (I don't know the grade, but probably 40* from a true horizon). And the float bowls sit in front of the carbs... Very easy for fuel to pour out the auxilary venturis.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Magoo, I get that same slight, momentary hesitation when I punch the accelerator. No big deal, though, and just part of ther carburettor experience.

Darren, as Peter mentioned, the fuel-injected 308's behave somewhat better. Fuel-injection also eliminates the protracted starting procedures of the carbed versions, but those four Webers reward you with a beautiful induction sound not present in the fuel-injected models. The carburettors are just a couple of feet behind you. You must road test both to hear and feel the difference.

Barry

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well everyone thanks for the input. I will have to test drive them for sure.
I was on a site last night... The person had both the 308 carb'd and a 328.
He explained the difference he had. It seemed he liked the 328 more for speed, newer upgrades, and the easy of FI. He stated to get a 84 or 85 308 QV rather then the 83 if I wanted a 308. I like the 308 look myself, however the 328 is nice too. Like you all stated, "you have to test drive them". If I had the money it would be a no brainer the 288GTO would be it.
He also stated it is harder to find GTB's. More GTS's were built.....
I will enjoy doing the homework as to what to buy. I'll keep the questions comming. Take care.

Darren

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm glad that Darren posed the question about the carbs. I'm very pleased to hear that they will stay tuned for quite some time if not forever.

I, too, felt a slight gurgle from my little car as I pulled it up into our garage. Not a big deal just something I had not experienced before moving into the house.

Thanks guys for the good comments.

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
286 Posts
I agree with what Barry says in that when you step on the accellerator in a carb model it's that Ferrari sound of the carbs sucking air up to redline and the sound when you shift that never can be duplicated by the early F.I. models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts