Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an interesting story about a 288 GTO.

Back in 1993, just before the first democratic elections here in South Africa in 1994, there was concern about whether the country would slip into anarchy and essentially people would be forced to leave the country should the elections not go smoothly.

There was a guy who owned a very low mileage (8,000 kms) 288 GTO. In order to protect the car and being a Belgian national, he shipped the car to his house in Belgium. In the interim, as we all know, things in SA went very well and, instead of leaving, he and his family stayed here. He also went on to acquire more cars including a beautiful F40 - more about that later.

Approximately two years he died and left all his cars to his children, more notably his son, who is a very accomplished race driver in his own right.

All this time, the GTO had sat in Belgium, only being used very sparingly and remarkably, still registered on South African plates.

Over the last year, the guy's son decided that seeing as he is here to stay, it would be fantastic to have the GTO back. Since 2002, though, it has been impossible to import a LHD car into the country. To cut a long story short, the GTO arrived back in SA last week and is currently being serviced before it is set loose on the streets.

The F40 he has was the first and only F40 I have personally been in and is currently running approximately 650 HP! I have seen the dyno printouts to prove it. I could be getting a ride around the track within the next month in it - I can't wait.

These cars are truly in the right hands. I love the F40 - it is my favourite Ferrari ever and when I told the guy's son that I want an option to buy it should he ever want to sell it - he confirmed that he will never sell these cars. I think they represent his father's legacy. I can really respect that.

A pretty cool story, I think!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Awesome story. Thanks for sharing it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts