Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 275 gts is overheating. The cooling fan seems to come on erratically and not always at the specified temperature. Is it most likely a problem with the temp. sensor/switch located at the bottom of the radiator? Could it be anything else? Where can I get a replacement temperature sensor if that is what the problem is?
Thanks.
Roy

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 275 gts is overheating. The cooling fan seems to come on erratically and not always at the specified temperature. Is it most likely a problem with the temp. sensor/switch located at the bottom of the radiator? Could it be anything else? Where can I get a replacement temperature sensor if that is what the problem is?
Thanks.
Roy
It very likely could be your temp sensor, but also make sure you don't have any broken or shorted sensor wires or connectors. Not sure where you live, but the original 275GTB fan on mine didn't have a very good output. Since I live in Phoenix, Bill Young at GT Car Parts here sold me some higher-output fans (2) that fit well and worked better. I think they were from a later model Ferrari. Check with them ... [email protected] (Bill) or [email protected] (Dave). They also should be able to help you with the sensor or anything else you may need. Good luck!

Rick

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
275 overheating

Thanks Rick. I will check the wires and connections to the sensor. If they look ok I guess I will look for a new sensor.
Roy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check the operation of the fan motors manually, then as suggested it is most likely the fan switch.
One quick test to try is with the engine warm and off check the temperature of the radiator across the hole core/matrix. If the Radiator is not flowing correctly you can get erratic fan behavior because the sender unit is not getting the correct temp value. Quick simple test, and as mentioned earlier Bill at GT car parts in AZ is a good source. There are others, so if you have no luck with bill let me know I can get you one somewhere else.
Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I ordered the switch. I will let you know if that was the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boxer,
I have been very pleased with my 275 gts. I have had very little in the way of maintainence issues. The car had a complete nut and bolt cosmetic and mechanical restoration about 3 years and 3,00 KM before I bought it. It needed nothing. This water temp switch is really the first mechanical issue. All I have needed to do is change fluids since I bought it. The power and handling are excellent. The all-independent suspension makes a big difference compared to the 250 series cars. The exhaust note is excellent. My recommendation is buy the best example you can find. Restoration costs can add up quickly. Parts can be found but are expensive. Overall a fantastic vintage 12 cylinder ferrari.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Boxer,
I have been very pleased with my 275 gts. I have had very little in the way of maintainence issues. The car had a complete nut and bolt cosmetic and mechanical restoration about 3 years and 3,00 KM before I bought it. It needed nothing. This water temp switch is really the first mechanical issue. All I have needed to do is change fluids since I bought it. The power and handling are excellent. The all-independent suspension makes a big difference compared to the 250 series cars. The exhaust note is excellent. My recommendation is buy the best example you can find. Restoration costs can add up quickly. Parts can be found but are expensive. Overall a fantastic vintage 12 cylinder ferrari.
Roy, Thanks for the insights. Now all I have to do is find the right one....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts