Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I spotted what appeared to be a 250 GTO Spider at Randolph AFB in San Antonio. I saw it again yesterday with the driver standing beside it and asked him what model it was. He replied (assuming I didn't know what a Ferrari is!), "It's a 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO." I told him that I wasn't aware that Ferrari had ever produced a spider version of the 250 GTO. He replied that they didn't make very many of them.

I think the guy:

1. Is pulling my leg and has a replica GTO produced as a spider

2. Has a GTO that has had the top chopped (what a travesty that would be--and just imagine what it did to the value of the car!)

To my knowledge, Ferrari never produced a spider version of the 250 GTO. Am I correct?

Crash

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
It is a replica, Ferrari never made one. I assume it is the one built a few years ago for one of the band members in ZZ Top.

I hate to think someone was tasteless enough to build a second. I am not against replica's and kit cars as a rule but something about making a GTO Spyder is just wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I've never heard of a spider version either. If it is a replica, the guy is kind of a jerk for passing it off as genuine.

I'm with Brian, I've got nothing against replicas and kit cars as long as you love it for what it is and don't pretend you own something you don't.

I'd be proud to own a replica of a 250 GTO, of course I would never tell anyone it is an actual GTO. I guess I'm ahead of the game, most people are convinced my 308 is a kit. I even showed one guy the engine and he was like, "Wow. Where'd you get the Ferrari valve covers?" I just said, "They came with the car."

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Hopefully this was the 250 GTE conversion for Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top and the guy was bullshitting ! I hope another real Ferrari hasn't been butchered.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
it's a replica
i have an article on it (somewhere) witch got published in Prancing Horse
i'll see if i can find it again and then i can scan & post it

·
Registered
8 Posts
ZZ Topless

I saw the ZZ Top GTO car for sale about a month ago for about 250,000. It's a nice reproduction, but it just dosn't look right. Still I would love to own one of those great reproductions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts