Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may all be interested in the story of 250 GT chassis no. "0647GT" as up to date as possible. Some of you may already have read this a while ago but now it is featured on the front page of my website www.ferrarizine.blogspot.com I hope you enjoy reading it and find it as fascinating as I did.
Regards,
Paul.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Certainly interesting, but Alan does sound rather bitter. From the outside, I think it is always very difficult to know where the truth of the story lies. Whatever the truth, however, it is clear that classic Ferraris can be a pitfall of note and you have to tread carefully. Even then, you can be buying a car which turns out of be a fake. It's a sad byproduct of the desirability of these wonderful cars.

I wish I had to worry about this problem! It would mean I'd be in the market for one of these cars....

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Great story Al. Any ideas where the car is now and if the owner got away with it?
I did see the body painted body shell at the 2006 FOC GB concours and was very impressed by the quality of the work, I've got a photo of it on my other PC. I didn't know it was Al's work then.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Certainly interesting, but Alan does sound rather bitter. From the outside, I think it is always very difficult to know where the truth of the story lies. Whatever the truth, however, it is clear that classic Ferraris can be a pitfall of note and you have to tread carefully. Even then, you can be buying a car which turns out of be a fake. It's a sad byproduct of the desirability of these wonderful cars.

I wish I had to worry about this problem! It would mean I'd be in the market for one of these cars....

Onno
You are right, from the outside it seems (and sometimes is) very difficult to judge. But if you are really deep into it with all your enthusiasm, you will find out about the true story and history of about every single Ferrari with chassis numbers below 1000. From your side, it needs commitment, time and sweatfull hours, days and weeks to find out, but you will be well rewarded. First, always do your homework, find out (with the help of independent well known historians) about the whole history of the car from the day it left the factory until today. Talk with people, well known experts in the field. Phone up previous owners, find out about their other Ferrari related stories. Last but not least the Ferrari factory itself will be helpfull as well but normally you will not need them.
There is to much money on the table in these days on the classic Ferrari market and that puts a lot of "suspicious" people on the plan.
The Ferrari magazine "Cavallino" is a great source to find out about certain chassis numbers history. Especially the section with letters and questions from subscribers are often very helpfull to find out the true story of certain chassis numbers.
To trust is a nice, ethical way of thinking but not really appropriate in the classic Ferrari car business in these days
The cases where buyers of classic Ferrari's were "cheated" are numeorus and its definitively often compleately unlegal. But at the end the responsibility lies with the buyer who was not willing to spend "guts-time" to find out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts