Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 1973 246 GTS. Does anyone know how to determine the original paint and trim colors?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I am restoring a 1973 246 GTS. Does anyone know how to determine the original paint and trim colors?
There are a couple of options. Marcel Massini, international Ferrari walking encyclopedia, will have records. The original importer (if you know the country of original delivery) will likely also have records. You can also register as a Ferrari owner with the factory and they can also provide you with records through the website, I believe.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. The car is now black on black. Does the car lose any value if it is restored in a different color?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Thanks for the info. The car is now black on black. Does the car lose any value if it is restored in a different color?
My pleasure. On the value, depends on who you talk to. Pesonally condition would be much more important than if it is the original color.

I am in the middle of restoring a Daytona and will not be repainting it the original color.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Most Dino's were repainted in red to increase their value. But I do think there is a slowly increasing number of people, although still in the minority, that prefer the car to be in its original colour. Mind you, there were some horrible colour combination in the early Seventies...!

For me, it's nice if it is the original colour but like Boxer I find condition much more important. Anyway, Black is a great colour for a 246, so why not go for it?

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
FWIW, I would only stay with the original if it suited me OR the car was so important that I would receive more trouble in comments than it was worth, but in the latter it probably wouldn't have me stopped from going with my own color combo.

This actually applies to any 'thing' I own.

Future owner, can take it back to specs. Just as someone would repaint my house.
rik

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am restoring a1974 Dino 246 GTS. Contact Piero Navarro at www.modexotics.com. If you give him your vin number, he should be able to track it down for you. He also has access to parts and will answer your questions for free. He also restored my 1984 Boxer 512BBi as well as a dozen other exotics.

·
Registered
260 Posts

No. As long as it is painted with original 1973 Spec colors, it will not lose value; So I was told. Ask Pompeo from www.modexotics.com. He worked at Ferrari Italy and worked extensively with Dinos and Vintage Ferraris.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts