Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For friends I've made on a number of threads here, I want to share this:

We all have bucket lists, things that we want to do some day, that we tick off as life goes on. If we're lucky we get to do some, most or, if we're really lucky, all of them. Then there are those fantasy dreams, things that we fantasize we will do some day but are really so extravagantly beyond the realistic that we usually understand they are just that, fantasies. I'm on the road to doing one of the latter. As some here will remember, I've been a car nut since age ten or so, read the early car magazines or at least those with automobile articles, Mechanix Illustrated and Popular Science, then Road & Track and even English magazines Autocar and Motorsport. Still have an original copy of the Motorsport issue in which appeared Denis Jenkinson's report of his drive as navigator with Stirling Moss in their Mercedes-Benz 300SLR win of the 1955 Mille Miglia. And raced a Triumph TR3 in the San Francisco Bay area when I was on active duty in the Navy.

So driving in today's retrospective Mille Miglia has been my car fantasy, a wild dream never to be done. Except that today a friend and I have just bought an eligible Triumph TR2, the Standard Motor Car Company's 1954 press car that has been completely restored and fitted out for the 2017 Mille Miglia. This week we will file our application to run it next May and have arranged with the English Company that restored the car to provide rally support. Some nights I can't sleep, thinking about driving the thousand mile course that Stirling ran.

If I've managed it properly, here's a link to our TR2:

https://www.premiumclassiccars.com/carlistings/1954-tr2/#

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Seth, that's what I would certainly call a Bucket List item. Congrats and good luck!!!

As you've seen from my recent post, I have a soft spot for TRs !!!

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Seth, your determination and passion amazes me. Totally understandable and great compliments for your decision. Just calling that exciting does not do justice to this challenge. I enjoy my cars in all aspects but I doubt I can claim myself as a car nut....at least it must be far down the ladder from where you are.

Only several months to your epic event and with that kind of fully restored Triumph, what can go wrong ? I know, can't be that easy. What a decision, what guts. Nothing but accolade and respect to you. Updating us goes without saying.

w/ smiles
Jimmy :mexicanwave::worth:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Seth, that's what I would certainly call a Bucket List item. Congrats and good luck!!! As you've seen from my recent post, I have a soft spot for TRs !!!
Thanks David. Just checked your info; where and what did you fly? ASW or air-sea rescue? To this day I wear Navy wings of gold in my jacket lapels, often asked what I flew, and I answer: I didn't drive our aircraft, I drove an airbase, U.S.S. Intrepid on which I was qualified OOD underway, according to Capt. Forsyth Massey, my C.O., the only lawyer/legal officer of a large combatant ever to qualify underway. I stood regular OOD watches on the bridge. In fact Capt Massey was sufficiently pleased with my performance that when we went to general quarters/battle stations he designated me JOOD on the bridge; our navigator, Cdr Rieger, was OOD. Intrepid was CVA-11 when I served aboard, later became CVS-11.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Seth,
Wow and congratulations, sounds more than exciting. I have been talking and talking about the F1 race in Monaco for years, which is on my list of things to do.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Thanks David. Just checked your info; where and what did you fly? ASW or air-sea rescue?

Judge - PM sent.

BTW - Flying in the military and owning a Ferrari are the only things I've ever had on my bucket list. I was 26 when I got my wings, exactly double that when I got the Spider!! Guess now I'll have to come up with a third item.... :wink4:

·
Premium Member
11,883 Posts
Got my Nav wings when I was 25, Dino when I was 27, Daytona 2 years later. F-111s.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Good luck with your entry Seth. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seth,
Wow and congratulations, sounds more than exciting. I have been talking and talking about the F1 race in Monaco for years, which is on my list of things to do.
Since Monaco Grand Prix is the weekend following the Mille Miglia we're thinking of doing that as well.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck with your entry Seth. Keep us posted.
John, there's a chance we may spend a few days in England to familiarize ourselves with the car, right hooker of course. Premium Classic Cars is in Suffolk, not exactly next door to Exeter, eh?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts