Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I only know what you know, but 10 cylinders seems uninspired to me. Sure, it's ligher and more compact than V-12, and more powerful and smoother than a V-8, but that sounds like a compromise. Flagship Ferraris should never compromise anything, especially the engine.

V-10's drone on like perfectly balanced washing machines. Engineers love the V-10 layout, and that alone is reason for Ferrari not to use one. Formula 1 has even abandoned the V-10, in favor of V-8, though admitidly they did it for cost effectiveness in the spirit of racing fairness, not because V-8's are better than V-10's.

Even power pulses (which only occurs in engines with even cylinder count per cylinder bank and flatplane crankshafts) are always more enjoyable than 6or 10 cylinder configurations, especially when most non-racing v-10's and V-6's have 90 degree crank phasing.

Maybe they could include the newest generation of staged, variable vane turbos, which have zero lag and are electronically adjustable. Another technology they should include is a pneumatic operated, computer controlled valvetrain. As a longtime fan of 2-stroke engine design, I can't wait until they get rid of all those cams, chains, and gears--it is truly the future of high performance engines. Unfortunatley, F-1 has tried to stiffle technological developement in the last couple of seasons--in an attempt to make the sport more competitive for the teams with less racing capital. So, pneumatic valve actuation is likely further away than 2010 for productions cars.

just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's just hope they're not taking a note from Lamorghini on this one (Gallardo.) That car (in my opinion) diluted the brand quite a bit, and that would be a damn shame.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I sure hope they either use a 12 cylinder or at least twin turbo an 8 cylinder.

Chris

·
Registered
332 Posts
The Millichilli thing was presented at last year's 60 Anni in Maranello/Fiorano and was just a mock up to demonstrate something about building smaller, lighter cars in the future. The FXX programme is doing the development work for the Enzo successor.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I only know what you know, but 10 cylinders seems uninspired to me. Sure, it's ligher and more compact than V-12, and more powerful and smoother than a V-8, but that sounds like a compromise. Flagship Ferraris should never compromise anything, especially the engine.

V-10's drone on like perfectly balanced washing machines. Engineers love the V-10 layout, and that alone is reason for Ferrari not to use one. Formula 1 has even abandoned the V-10, in favor of V-8, though admitidly they did it for cost effectiveness in the spirit of racing fairness, not because V-8's are better than V-10's.

Even power pulses (which only occurs in engines with even cylinder count per cylinder bank and flatplane crankshafts) are always more enjoyable than 6or 10 cylinder configurations, especially when most non-racing v-10's and V-6's have 90 degree crank phasing.

Maybe they could include the newest generation of staged, variable vane turbos, which have zero lag and are electronically adjustable. Another technology they should include is a pneumatic operated, computer controlled valvetrain. As a longtime fan of 2-stroke engine design, I can't wait until they get rid of all those cams, chains, and gears--it is truly the future of high performance engines. Unfortunatley, F-1 has tried to stiffle technological developement in the last couple of seasons--in an attempt to make the sport more competitive for the teams with less racing capital. So, pneumatic valve actuation is likely further away than 2010 for productions cars.

just my 2 cents!
Red Racer, seems like you appeared in the forum while I was traveling, so welcome aboard, I very much enjoy your posts (and agree with most of what you said)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts