Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking seriously about purchasing a 360 CS...

The emotional side of me is smitten. The rational side of me needs to be sure it is a wise investment when compared to picking up a 360 coupe for example (other differences between the cars aside for now). Does anyone have an opinion on the depreciation or future values of these cars? Do the limited numbers really mean anything in this regard?

I would be paying between $180k-$190k for an '04 model with all options and less than 5k miles. I would most likely opt for an alternate color like blue or black. I like to buy cars and hold them, so although this would be my first Ferrari, I believe I would keep it and not trade it in.

Regardless this is fun stuff. Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Weaver said:
The emotional side of me is smitten. The rational side of me needs to be sure it is a wise investment when compared to picking up a 360 coupe for example (other differences between the cars aside for now). Does anyone have an opinion on the depreciation or future values of these cars? Do the limited numbers really mean anything in this regard?

I would be paying between $180k-$190k for an '04 model with all options and less than 5k miles. I would most likely opt for an alternate color like blue or black. I like to buy cars and hold them, so although this would be my first Ferrari, I believe I would keep it and not trade it in.
If you were planning on driving the car for a few years and then sell it, yeah, this might be an issue. But if your plan is to keep the car then you should get the one you REALLY want. You could get one you think is a "wise investment" but you'll always lust after the one you wanted but didn't get.

No Ferrari is a wise invesment no matter how you slice it. Houses are wise investments. Ferraris are toys. People buy Ferraris because they make them feel good.

Let your heart be your guide to find the Ferrari you want, let your head be your guide to buy it.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
The truth is the 360 CS will probably take a big hit since it is still a 360. They made approximately 1000. An example is the 348 Speciale which they made only 100 of for the U.S. market. These cars still pull more than a regular 348 but the difference is not staggering. The same will probably be true of the CS.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Well I had to comment on this thread as I've been driving several challenge stradales for the last 3 months.

Several comments:

1)The CS is an absolutly amazing car. While the 430 is slightly quicker, the CS is a raw monster waiting to be unleashed. I've owned 3 previous Ferraris (1 355, 2 360's) driven a 430 on a track recently.. There is no comparison (With the exception of an F40 or some of the older Ferrari's) in my mind if you are looking for the complete visceral experience that is Ferrari.

2) I do not expect the CS to appreciate, it will slowly drift down in price over the next few years (Although the current delta between market prices and origional 2004 list prices is small (5k) assuming low miles. The CS will maintain a substantial price differential over the 360 coupe following more along the lines of the convertible 360 which will always maintain a price premium over the coupe.

3) Petes comments are correct, there are few Ferraris that are a good investment (I wish I could aford one of those). Whats more important is that for approx 10K per year (Depreciated cost + insurance and maintance) you can drive one of the best cars in the world and put a smile on your face (And other peoples) every day - Does not get much better then that does it? (+ you can easly sell the car if you need money, especially a Stradale!!)

Regards

Dermot

·
Registered
473 Posts
Oh I forgot to add that if you are looking for comfort and turning up at nice resturants with the wife/better half then the 360 is the better choice. If you want to blow the windows off the resturant and do not mind/want to hear every sand grain hitting the underside of the car while you accelerate simply with a flick of the wrist on the downshift (The F1 is so much better in the Stradale, especially in Race mode) then the stradale is the way to go

Tough choice!

Dermot

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would say the CS would be the better way to go. The 348 SS is a goodd example. The Speciale of the 348 wasnt anything REALLY special. Obviously limited edition, and a hand full of other goodies but it wasnt a completely different horse (dont mind the pun :)).

The CS, on the other hand, is extremely different from the 360. Styling was different, comfort, speed, purpose, and you gotta love those wheels! Even farther still the CS will hold its value better than the 360 will. When they start to appreciate again the CS will show a more dramatc interest I think.

·
Administrator
15,170 Posts
Weaver said:
I am thinking seriously about purchasing a 360 CS...

Regardless this is fun stuff. Thanks in advance for the advice.
On other thing you might want to take into consideration, Ferrari will likely introduce a 430 CS in the next year. When this happens, prices on the 360 CS will take a hit. Depending on how much you want to spend, you might be better off waiting for the 430 CS as it will likely not be a huge amount more than a 360 CS today. Alternatively if you are looking to spend a bit less, pick up a 360 CS then.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I already spoke to Ferrari on this - There are no plans yet for a 430 Stradale.

However, assuming ferrari do release a 430 Stradale (And based on the success of the 360 Stradale I think they will) it is unlikly that it will be for another 3 years (Towards the EOL of the 430)

Don't wait! I just bought one last week.. Love it, like a bargin priced Enzo!

Derm

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Congrats on the new car!! Can't wait to see some pictures of it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
Derm,

Congrats on finally finding a 360 CS. I know you've been looking for what seems like a year.
Yes its taken a while Andrew, mainly because I've spent a lot of time working in China recently. I must say the CS is even better then I expected and well worth the wait, the engine is amazing but the brakes are out of this world (And at $15k for a set they better be)

I'm now starting on my next search for an F40, this is my ultimate Ferrari and I expect will take me 12-18 months to find the right one, in the mean time I am going to drive the stradale like it should be and run up a lot of miles! My wife and I are planning on joining the Challenge rally of Oregon in Aug, and we are heading up to the Ferrari Challenge event at Infineon next month. Any one else going?

Derm

·
Registered
23 Posts
CS is an amazing car on circuits. Though there is one big handicap coming up in Europe.....NOISE Limits. CS is approx 120 db loud and many tracks have a noise limit of approx 100 db. Initially, CS was not really known and hence, there was always a trick to get on the track.....these days, they not even bother measuring the noise.
I am seriousely considering swapping the CS with the new 997 GT3. "Emotion and beauty" vs "Function and Reliability"......it s hard one.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Well the noiser the better! :)

I've started tracking the F40's for sale in the US. I'm not interested in importing. The aim for the next 6 months will be to understand the prices, where the good cars are, who owns them etc. I also need to get a clear picture of the service issues etc

Regards

Dermot

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have to agree, the car is the wildest ride I have ever had. The amazing acceleration, braking (The Carbon ceramic brakes are soooo good) rock steady handling really set this car apart from almost everything available today.

Derm

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ok, so this seems like the natural place to post this question. Which fares better on the track ... a new F430, or the challenge stradale. The 430's numbers beat the CS, but Im thinking the combination of suspension, less weight, and thebrakes make it a better contender. Any body driven both?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I drove the 430 on track days. The engine is very impressive, however the car does not compete with the CS in terms of agility and performance. In order to make the 430 competitive, I have seen folks that have changed the exhaust system. If you want a car for track days, there is no comparison to the CS in that league.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts