Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1976 308gt4 listed for $14500.
The car is in need of a paint job, an oil pan gasket and according to the owner is running very rich. Engine was just rebuilt including head gaskets, water pump, seals, rings, and bearings.

"The car is complete. Overall, mechanically sound, all the glass is in great shape, no rust (except one tiny small spot out of sight where a rear valance is held on), and all the interior switches, knobs, and dials work.

The car has the original paint and its tired- it needs a paint job. The car also needs some carb or tuning work done- it runs well enough but it runs terribly rich. Lastly, there is a leak on the oil pan gasket."

What do you guys think?
thank you.

I own and 2002 Maserati Cambiocorsa Coupe

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I would be very careful with a carburetored car as it's tons of work to keep running properly.

That price is extremely low and my reflect additional mechanical issues beyond which you have been told such as timing belts, etc despite a recent "rebuild".

If you are mechanical and can do the work, it may be a great deal.

Just be very careful.

We will not hold it against you that you own a Maserati and are also a member of MaseratiLife!!!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Gcalo, I haven't had any problems with the carbs on my '79. I had bought the rebuild kits for them but the guy I took the car to to have it tuned, after looking at it he said the carbs didn't need rebuilding. He synchronized them for me and I haven't had to touch them in 4 years.

Huzeti,
The car sounds like it's worth looking at. You know it needs a paint job, no big deal there. Pay a lot of attention to the interior. That can get expensive fast. If the interior is decent and the body is straight and it is indeed mechanically sound than this may be a great buy. You should get a prepurchase inspection though and have it looked over by an independant. Just because the engine was rebuilt that doesn't mean the clutch was replaced or that all the teeth are present on the gears. Where is the car and what is the mileage on it?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I would agree with Pete and at least look at the car. Looking can never hurt:thumbsup: Could be the best deal of your life. There are always those jewels out there.

Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Carbs?

What am I looking when let's say I need to have the carbs rebuilt? Any idea of the cost? How about a tune-up?
I have no experience with ferraris but a classic model would be a great start I think. Here are a few pics of it.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Good points, Pete, but I was trying to help Huzeti understand that older Ferrari's are not a walk in the park w/o discouraging him.

If it is running rich that's a sign those carbs need attention and possibly rebuilding.

Remember that when cars sit for long periods the gas goes bad and can gum up jets, floats, and the like.

It may be a great deal but he needs to approach it with open eyes.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
What am I looking when let's say I need to have the carbs rebuilt? Any idea of the cost? How about a tune-up?
I have no experience with ferraris but a classic model would be a great start I think.
Well the pics sure do look good. I think when I bought my carb rebuilt kits they were only like $40 each so $160 in parts. As for labor, figure 8-10 hours labor to remove them, rebuild them, reinstall them and synch them.

For the tune up, I had changed over the ignition from points to electronic myself, then I took it to an independent mechanic. He balance all four tires, did a front end alignment and timed the ignition and set up the carbs and my total bill from him was $300.

And Gcalo, I agree with all your points.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have no experience with ferraris but a classic model would be a great start I think. Here are a few pics of it...
A good friend of mine, who lives in Arlington (just up the #5 from Seattle) once owned a 308 GTS and had his carbs rebuilt (about two years ago) and it ended up costing him in the vicinity of $1400. I think he took them to a shop in the Seattle area.

But how does the owner/seller know it is running rich? Has he had it on a dyno and gotten A/F readings, or had an oil-analysis done, or is he just judging by looking at fouled plugs and a seeing blue cloud in his rear-view mirror while driving?

What is the chassis number of this GT4 you're looking at? Is it in Seattle?

Any prospective purchase should include an independant inspection (Alfa of Tacoma is an excellent shop. Carlo, the owner and mechanic has many decades of Ferrari service and was chief mechanic for Pete Lovely when he raced professionally).

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Without having seen the car, of course, it does seem that you have an honest seller to deal with. However, if the paint is tired and there is a little rust, then I can guarantee that this car will require (and more importantly: deserves) a body-off restoration and respray. Since all the dials, switches and so on are there, it seems that it is a great car for such a project, although there is no mention of the state of the interior. Getting the interior right could therefore become very costly. It also sounds like the car needs some serious carb tuning which can be tricky to get right, but that certainly is not insurmountable.

If you have the patience and the funds to do it, I would say go for it. $14.5k is a good price for a 308GT4 in need of TLC. But please, budget for AT LEAST the same amount to get the car back to prime condition. The good thing is that you can tackle it in stages - a bit like taking a loan without interest. After a little while, then, for $30k, you should have a fabulous Ferrari.

GT4's are great - if you can live with the shape. They are much quicker than people expect, they are great to drive (bit kart-like due to small overhangs) and they have much more room for the driver than any other '70ies Ferrari which is great if you're over 6ft. They also sound wonderful with their V8 carb arrangement.

If you have specific questions about the model, I can put you in touch with a friend of mine who owns one. He's a grease monkey so he can tell you a lot about the mechanical side of things. PM me if you want his details.

Good luck deciding!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have no experience with ferraris but a classic model would be a great start I think. Here are a few pics of it.

you are in a GOOD/GREAT area to have that Properly PPI'd...take it to Ferrari of Seattle or Portland, they are great at doing a proper eval on this car. and IF the owner forbids a PPI : RUN LIKE HELL.

truly, run away.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A PPI is a must! I have had my GT4 for allmost 5 yrs and the carbs have been no problem at all! The GT4 is a great car and a blast to drive. I believe this car was on Seattle Craigs list, could be a good find, painting the car can be a few $$$ though. Have it checked out FIRST then go from there! Good luck!

Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CL

Yeap on CL was listed, the car is in Port Orchard so across the Sound but I agree with all of you: PPI is a must in this case.
Thanks for all the help.
:cool-smiley-030::thumbsup:
A PPI is a must! I have had my GT4 for allmost 5 yrs and the carbs have been no problem at all! The GT4 is a great car and a blast to drive. I believe this car was on Seattle Craigs list, could be a good find, painting the car can be a few $$$ though. Have it checked out FIRST then go from there! Good luck!

Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Verifani

Anxious? maybe if this woud be a 360 or a 430 but in this case not at all, I would go for this particular Dino more because of the character and the history behind it. It'll be nice to have a classic ferrari as a daily driver.:argh:
Take your time.

If you look too anxious you'll spoil the deal.

Relax.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeap on CL was listed, the car is in Port Orchard so across the Sound but I agree with all of you: PPI is a must in this case.
Thanks for all the help.
:cool-smiley-030::thumbsup:
A PPI will really tell the story and stop all the speculation, if your serious its worth the $300. or so it costs. Then at the very least you have some feed back to the owner when negociating the price, and also piece of mind knowing what you are getting into! Best of Luck!

Remember; GT4's ROCK!!!!!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Anxious--- It'll be nice to have a classic ferrari---
With this I agree.

Just take your time to make sure the car looks good or at least know where you will be with it.

I think the 308 GT4's rock as wella nd it's my guess they will increase in value as well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
For that price, worst case scenario is you can dismantle the car and sell it for parts and come out well ahead. Looks like a challenging venture. Having something in need of work and restoring it to show room condition. Life is short. Take a chance.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts