Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All!
I just purchased my dream car a "1981 308 GTBi". :D It has 13,000 miles, runs well, but needs serviced and painted. The car was ordered with a custom burgandy metalic paint that's in distress. I'm considering media blasting the car and painting it black. What will that do to the value?? I had the car inspected at an Exotic Car Dealership in Pittsburgh and they felt the car was in very good condition, but warned its probably due for a major service ($3,000.00) :eek: Can this be done by the average do-it-yourselfer?? Thanks!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I can't help you out on your questions, but why change the color? I would repaint it the same color again. Especially those special colors are seen seldom and you then have a very special car. I do not think the value will be hurt by repainting it into another color. There is always the term 're-sale red' to indicate a red one will sell much better. Cars will thus be repainted red from time to time.

Please send some pics to the garage section, would love to see a brown one (as long as it is possible :green: )

Welcom of course BTW.

Niels

·
Registered
167 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the world of Ferrari ownership!

I agree with Niels, why change such a rare colour? Plus I personally like burgundy metallic.

Of course, Rosso Corsa (the traditional Ferrari red) would make the car more saleable, I don't know that black would make any difference to the value or not.

Regarding the service, it depends what they mean by a "major service". They probably mean the cambelts need changing which on the 308 are every 5 years or so many miles (I think - please correct me anyone?)

The cambelts can be changed without removing the engine on the 308 (again - I think this is true) so it isn't the same size job as on a 348 or 355 for example, but if your technical knowledge doesn't stretch to doing this then you should let an expert do it for you.

Enjoy your new toy!

Justyn.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Welcome to the site. Always glad to see new faces. The paint is up to you I can't make that decision. For the Tech question. If you are mechanical then by all means get your hands dirty. There are some very talented members on this site that will gladly give you advice in this process. If you have an idea as to what needs tuning then post it in the Tech section and I'm sure you'll get some good feedback. Hope this helps! Again welcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts