Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never owned a Ferrari. I have had the M's, AMG's and Carrera's and I drive a Maserati Grandsport right now as a daily driver. I live close to my office and can drive a fairly exotic car as a daily driver. I saw a 550 Barchetta at Beverly Hills Ferrari and it took my breath away. I have driven most of the Ferrari 8 cyl cars but never a 12. I prefer front engine layouts.I have never driven the Barchetta. The one in the showroom had less than 2,000 miles and it looked to be perfect. They are asking $219K. At this price it is getting close to an F430 coupe with similar mileage. I am looking for a car that I can use a couple of days a week and maybe drive 2,000 miles/year. I would appreciate any input as to how the car drives, how the price will or will not hold up. I am also curious as to how reliable this care might be, and what kind of service it will require.

Thanks for your input.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Hello and welcome. To start out if you want a car that will hold its value more get a 550 as they have already depreciated and do not have near the amount of room to depreciate as the F430.

I have only ridden in a 550 but the F430 is one of the most versital Ferraris I've driven. It can be a daily driver and very docile one minute, the next minute you can really open up and drive the car aggressively and it will respond.

I still like think the sound is too soft on the 550, but that is just me.

I just realized you said Barchetta, I wouldn't recommend this car, I would get the regular 550 first. The Barchetta wasn't a great car for Ferrari which is why they sit in dealer show rooms. If you are ever caugh in the rain your screwed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Do you run this site? If so, is there an association with Maserati Life? It is run on the same software.

As far as the sound goes, and sound is very important to me, this does have the upgraded Tubi exhaust. I have not heard it yet, as soon as they give it a few revs, I will know.

The 550 does not really interest me as I do not intend to give up the Maserati GS as a daily driver. (I also have a Range Rover) Why have 2 front engine 2+2 coupes. (granted one is an 8 and one is a 12). I live in So. Cal. so rain is not an issue. I was thinking of it as a weekend car only.

Investment value is secondary, but I figured that Ferrari has had so few 12 cyl. convertibles, that this would hold up in value pretty well. Also, it makes the car unique and makes for good conversation. I also liked the gated 6 speed transmission....more of an emotional thing.

Having said all of that an F430 coupe is not that much more money and is a more recent car. I have limited drive experience in the 430, but agree that it did seem extremely versatile.

Thanks for your input

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
If it was my money, I would go with the 550 Barchetta accepting the fact that it is a sunny day only car. It is a far more unique car, probably will not drop that much in value, and is very useable. Ferrari only produced 448 550 Barchettas but by the end of the 430 model run there are likely to be over 25000 on the road. The running and servicing costs on the 550 Barchetta will be the same as a normal 550. It depends on how many miles you put on but plan for several thousand a year.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Thanks for the input. Do you run this site? If so, is there an association with Maserati Life? It is run on the same software.

As far as the sound goes, and sound is very important to me, this does have the upgraded Tubi exhaust. I have not heard it yet, as soon as they give it a few revs, I will know.

The 550 does not really interest me as I do not intend to give up the Maserati GS as a daily driver. (I also have a Range Rover) Why have 2 front engine 2+2 coupes. (granted one is an 8 and one is a 12). I live in So. Cal. so rain is not an issue. I was thinking of it as a weekend car only.

Investment value is secondary, but I figured that Ferrari has had so few 12 cyl. convertibles, that this would hold up in value pretty well. Also, it makes the car unique and makes for good conversation. I also liked the gated 6 speed transmission....more of an emotional thing.

Having said all of that an F430 coupe is not that much more money and is a more recent car. I have limited drive experience in the 430, but agree that it did seem extremely versatile.

Thanks for your input
Yes this site is affiliated with Maserati Life, on Maserati Life my username is Andrew.

I think Boxer makes a good point. If it is a sunny day only car then go for it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andrew,
I was wondering if that was you. I have been a regular user of the forums for about a year and a half. So, in your opinion, as a someone who drives both Marsers and Ferrari's do you think this is the best car as a 1st step. I'm never getting rid of my GS. So I want somethig special for weekends and showing off at Rally's. I have not driven the car and don't know what to expect.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My First Ferrari

I would like to purchase a used 98-99 F355 yellow spyder.

Does anyone have any comment on that model and year. I am looking at maybe next year or as a 40th birthday present to achieve my dream car.

I have heard the growl of a Ferrari and have fallen in love...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually a yellow 355 was the car I was looking for. My wife hates yellow and I think that car looks great in yellow. You can find one with pretty low milage at under $100K.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Andrew,
I was wondering if that was you. I have been a regular user of the forums for about a year and a half. So, in your opinion, as a someone who drives both Marsers and Ferrari's do you think this is the best car as a 1st step. I'm never getting rid of my GS. So I want somethig special for weekends and showing off at Rally's. I have not driven the car and don't know what to expect.

Thanks again for the input.
It is a big leap for a first Ferrari IMO. Boxer makes a great point, if you are understanding that it will be a sunny day only car with no roof then it could be a perfect fit. LA does have great weather most the time so you won't need to worry about that. You are also getting 1 of 499 so that will be a plus.

Since it is based on the 550 you are getting a fairly reliable car, maintenance cost will be moderate. You might want to look at the 575 Superamerica as well just to give yourself options and peace of mind that you looked at a few others before buying the Barchetta.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Although Boxer and Enzo250GTO have good arguments to go for the Barchetta, I would go for an 430 coupe. After I drove the 430 on Spa /Francorchamps circuit last summer, I had to be dragged out of the car. Otherwise I would be still driving there today. It's easy to push, is very fast, sounds great and makes you feel like the greatest driver ever. Afterwards my 355 Berlinetta felt like a classic...

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a big leap for a first Ferrari IMO. Boxer makes a great point, if you are understanding that it will be a sunny day only car with no roof then it could be a perfect fit. LA does have great weather most the time so you won't need to worry about that. You are also getting 1 of 499 so that will be a plus.

Since it is based on the 550 you are getting a fairly reliable car, maintenance cost will be moderate. You might want to look at the 575 Superamerica as well just to give yourself options and peace of mind that you looked at a few others before buying the Barchetta.
The Superamerica is a terrific car, but I had set $200 as my limit on what I wanted to spend. There is a big step up to the 575 series.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Although Boxer and Enzo250GTO have good arguments to go for the Barchetta, I would go for an 430 coupe. After I drove the 430 on Spa /Francorchamps circuit last summer, I had to be dragged out of the car. Otherwise I would be still driving there today. It's easy to push, is very fast, sounds great and makes you feel like the greatest driver ever. Afterwards my 355 Berlinetta felt like a classic...

Good luck with your choice.
I agree that the 430 is arguable the best production car you can buy. I am looking at a few, but the price is still quite high. I also like limited production vehicles. Only 150 U.S. Barchettas were made, and this is a real plus for me. (I am not sure why this is important to me....but I like to be unique). My feeling the first time I drove one was exactly how you described it as being the greatest driver ever....

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I agree that the 430 is arguable the best production car you can buy. I am looking at a few, but the price is still quite high. I also like limited production vehicles. Only 150 U.S. Barchettas were made, and this is a real plus for me. (I am not sure why this is important to me....but I like to be unique). My feeling the first time I drove one was exactly how you described it as being the greatest driver ever....
At this point I would suggest test driving the car and if you like it go for it!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
When I decided that I could actually go for another Ferrari, and that I would opt for the 456, which I had come to love [and practical too, but DO love the 550/575] I was pleasantly surprised on what a HUGE difference an 8 vs 12 were.

the Mondial T is more like a pony. with short, proper warm up, it is ready to feel between the legs like a quick, somewhat fast mover. GREAT for the hills in that it hugs and responds and wants more...take it in a medium to quick pace and you can feel he is with you and trustworthy.
calm it down for the stable. feed it well, watch it's medical and it will be a wonderful performer.

then, you decide, why not a true big, work horse. 12 cylinders and a sturdy steed with strong body and you know you have a stud there. it can gallop with the best of anything when you want it, true it can't take the corners in hill like the pony/youngster, but don't even try to gallop with it against the small one: this big guy is a true beast.

warm up and cool down is an issue, but it is something I just look at and .. I'm already fishing for the keys and some excuse, which......
gives troubles:
trouble with Ferraris is, it is a FULL event.....warm up, run it throught it's paces, cool it down, check it out and put away for the period...
takes time and effort set aside to make this happen. This will be, IMO, your biggest issue, giving proper time to each [honey, you want the 'flimsy' T today or the BEAST!!!!!] but you got to treat your stable equally...that's the trouble......

if you've never owned a 12 cylinder, YOU need one...no question.

I [hate] to say it, but the raging bull, is exactly that...does give one to ponder that feeling

PS: our next house design, has an interior garage in the living room area, with a glass partition: need to have the horse with us, and just to look at. It is art...might as well show it .......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No Ferrari for me!

Well, I know it has been a few months....but here is how the story ended... The dealer in Beverly Hills sold the car to someone else after I told them I was very interested. I was really pissed because I had bought a Maserati from them the less than 2 years ago. I ended up buying a Shelby GT500 Convertible. I had it lowered onto 20" custom chrome rims, added a roll bar, custom suspension and custom exhaust. It ain't a Barchetta, but it has been a blast to drive this summer...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have driven most of the Ferrari 8 cyl cars but never a 12. I prefer front engine layouts.I have never driven the Barchetta. The one in the showroom had less than 2,000 miles and it looked to be perfect. They are asking $219K.
I know i'm late to the thread but...

Good taste emerging in you, I see!

Go for the front engined V12 classic setup. I have driven a 550 and the feeling is more akin to a sublime experience. Once you drive it, I believe in my heart of hearts that you will be smitten silly with it. Trust me.

And this is just personal bias on my part, but the 550 simply looks much classier than the 430. It will age gracefully (no offense intended towards F430 owners!).

The GT500 however is already a collectible classic car! So you did well regardless. Cheers :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe, with the money I saved from not buying the Barcetta, i can now go for a 550 Maranello, keep the Shelby Gt500 and have both for the same price... the 550's are actually quite reasonable. I hope the same can be said about additional garage space!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts