Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 456M on a cold start has smoke coming from exhaust. After warmup it goes away. Over the last 1000 miles it has not used a drop of oil nor is there any leakage from underneath the car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 575M
14 Posts
From my basic knowledge, it seems to me you can't have both smoke and no loss of oil. My first thought would be leaking thru the valve guides and my second thought would be you can't. measure the oil level that accurately on the dry sump engine, . if the smoke goes away after warm up, i would not worry about it,,, i would also pull a few spark plugs to check the color , they should be a nice coco tan, or light chocolate brown. You may only have one cylinder leaking and the valve guide closes down on warm up.

oh , one other thing , is the smoke from both side , all pipes or just one? Oh , another thought,,, it could also be coolant,, check that level, it might be a leaking head gasket , again is it all pipes or just one ?

thats my take on it , but i am not a pro,,,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From my basic knowledge, it seems to me you can't have both smoke and no loss of oil. My first thought would be leaking thru the valve guides and my second thought would be you can't. measure the oil level that accurately on the dry sump engine, . if the smoke goes away after warm up, i would not worry about it,,, i would also pull a few spark plugs to check the color , they should be a nice coco tan, or light chocolate brown. You may only have one cylinder leaking and the valve guide closes down on warm up.

oh , one other thing , is the smoke from both side , all pipes or just one? Oh , another thought,,, it could also be coolant,, check that level, it might be a leaking head gasket , again is it all pipes or just one ?

thats my take on it , but i am not a pro,,,

It is coming from both tail pipes equally. Coolant sounds like the issue as it does not smell like gas or oil. Got to get it to a Ferrari tech!

·
Registered
2003 575M
14 Posts
My 456M on a cold start has smoke coming from exhaust. After warmup it goes away. Over the last 1000 miles it has not used a drop of oil nor is there any leakage from underneath the car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
what color is the smoke? light blue or white ? could it just be the cold air condensing the exhaust gasses?

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
What color is the smoke? If blue then oil is leaking from the rings. If not then there is perhaps a CAT issue. but i've never heard the M having these problems albeit the CATs can be compromised.
Our older 456, had the ring problem and many complained about having to replace. Our experience was from a poorly maintained car before we got it as in we needed to replace the exhaust headers then both CATs due to an issue found too late.
The M 456 engine changed the firing order and I'm not sure about the ring problem but personally never heard they had the ring/oil problem and therefore more desirable.
I would have it checked for combustion checked.

I'm NO gearhead but smoke seems a combustion problem if smoke is NOT blueish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What color is the smoke? If blue then oil is leaking from the rings. If not then there is perhaps a CAT issue. but i've never heard the M having these problems albeit the CATs can be compromised.
Our older 456, had the ring problem and many complained about having to replace. Our experience was from a poorly maintained car before we got it as in we needed to replace the exhaust headers then both CATs due to an issue found too late.
The M 456 engine changed the firing order and I'm not sure about the ring problem but personally never heard they had the ring/oil problem and therefore more desirable.
I would have it checked for combustion checked.

I'm NO gearhead but smoke seems a combustion problem if smoke is NOT blueish.
The smoke is definitely white and coming out of both exhausts equally. What really concerns me is the smell.It does not smell like either oil or gas. There ia a Ferrari trained mechanic about 30 miles away from me so I think I will run the car over to him.

·
Registered
2003 575M
14 Posts
if its not oil or gas, it must be coolant , which is always going to be white

perhaps a compression test , but its on both headers ,, still a puzzle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

That is my thought also. The car is currently with a Ferrari trained mechanic.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts

Yes
And forgot to mention the exhaust header replacements and cats were due to a heat exchanger which needed replacement. Can't remember about the radiator but the heater exchanger IIRC was nothing more than a mini radiator. Got very costly. Headers were expensive. WHEN FOUND. the CATS came from a 456M where the qualified mech welded the extra sensor port/hole and it worked fine. Older 456 vs 456M cats were difficult to source reasonably but the M was a better bargain by far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts