Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got the car. it seems to handle strangely. the rear end wants to go sideways, especially at low speeds. anyone know anything about these? is there a problem with the transaxle? help

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
They do suffer from worn shockers. Alot of 456 owners have them rebuilt. The 456 i took my family across Europe in had them rebuilt the week before because the rear had worn.
You may like these links to 456 resource sites:thumbsup:
http://www.the456.com/
http://www.456gt.com/
http://www.just456cars.com/

I tend to agree that is the most basic of problems with a rear end sway other than some sort of stabilizer sway bar problem...have that checked out too. This bilisten shock was a common problem in many models of Ferrari.

Look at the shocks. I can give you a name of someone who is excellent at rebuilding them for tons less than the OEM/billisten but he is going to retire I hear soon, so you might want to consider this soon if so. Costs about $600/shock including removal and shipping and install and only takes a few days.

IF you go with OEM, then they can take weeks if not months.

The other item may be simply a poor leveling motor or ECU. Do any of your lights go on in the dash, for instance, the one showing a profile of the car, with a pyramid under each wheel? Something like the crude pic below: if so this means a shock or actuator [there are three setting on the GT unlike the M series which only had two] that when a problem persists will lock you down into the 'HARD' mode. Not a big factor, but you could be locked into a 'SOFT' mode or combination that is not registering correctly on your indicator lights.

Are just driving too fast for the conditions set.

Which brings up the last factor of, are your tires and driving conditions well managed for the type of driving you are doing. I find the 456 is NOT a great cornering car for fast mountain/tight corners like the smaller models I have.....it is not a PONY, but a HORSE/beast and not that agile...more of a country squire for the open road/highway

let us know.

rik

Attachments

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
BUMP : New Shoes :D for baby

about two months ago, 456 was in dire need of new shoes. Shopped a bit for some alternatives other than my usual Mich's ...

Found what I believe are very good alternatives, made by a very good company for about 30% less. Same treads, sizes and the performance I cannot tell the difference.

http://www.nittotire.com/#Home

Remember the 456 is a GT and I mean that in all the 'gentlemanly' side of that: NOT a two-seater racer...matter of fact, I would not track the 456.

I got Nitto 555's. Check it out, might be a nice alternative, as for the money you are not out a lot and can always make a quick switch down the road.

I have over 1k miles on them and feel very confident...I am even pushing in some areas to see the performance, like [non-dangerous] corners.

One thing I DID notice, vs the Michies is M's seemed to take a nice 'load' up when I turn on the torque right away. Seems the Nittos take about a second to 'load' up the power, no release mind you, just seems the material needs split few seconds to load.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I have read about a few 360 owners using Nitto's but I have this thing about Japanese tires (which are probably now made in China).

Check to see if country of origin is on them.

Don't know if I would switch from PS2's though.

The little difference of $ is not that much of an incentive for me to make the change.

I have heard that Nitto's get noisey with age. Do you notice any diffence in noise levels in the 1K miles you mentioned, Rik?

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have read about a few 360 owners using Nitto's but I have this thing about Japanese tires (which are probably now made in China).

Check to see if country of origin is on them.

Don't know if I would switch from PS2's though.

The little difference of $ is not that much of an incentive for me to make the change.

I have heard that Nitto's get noisey with age. Do you notice any diffence in noise levels in the 1K miles you mentioned, Rik?
1. Didn't see country of origin: Will look
2. I plan to replace these tires real often, so although I like Mich much better for the rep. I am not too worried as this car is not a racer....albeit I Like to stop the tourque once in a while....but not scratch starts etc.
3. DID know of some leakage and having them checked out....will get back on that.
4. Have no noise issue at the moment but will update

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 95 456GT, and by the way love it. I had the rear shocks rebuilt at Bilisten California last month. It definitely solved the problem. As others have said, it is not a track car. But having said that, I bought it for the road. And my wife loves it. Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
The springs in the 456 can be easily upgraded which dramatically alters the ride quality by enhancement.

Very easy to do.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I also have a 95 456GT, and by the way love it. I had the rear shocks rebuilt at Bilisten California last month. It definitely solved the problem. As others have said, it is not a track car. But having said that, I bought it for the road. And my wife loves it. Enjoy.

welcome and nice first post. Bilisten takes a bit of time to do their rebuilds, and still uses the OEM parts, but like you said: Solved problem.

Cost, well for me on using a diff. party, was about $200 each off/ship/fix/ship/on

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Bilstein in San Diego is very helpful.

When I was verifying spring info for my 360 their technical person was first class.

I will look up the contact info and will post it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts