Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to this forum ISO guidance:

Looking to purchase my first Ferrari, a 1990 Mondial T Cab with 22k miles. This is the pic of the undercarriage. Looking at where the engine meets the rest of the car and the 3-four sided shapes. What exactly are those and why would the middle one look like it's cut up, dented and should I have any concerns?

Also, the pictures shows some oil/grease. I know it's not going to be pristine with use but should it be this gunky?

There is very little service records but the interior is almost pristine, along with the bodywork. Is there telltale noises I should be looking for? I know that timing belt service is coming up very quickly and I am planning for it :)crying:) but please point me to what I should be looking at.

Looking for your wisdom to see if I should take the plunge on this one.

Thank you in advance! 1990 Mondial T Undercarriage.jpg

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I'm not overly concerned about what I'm seeing. I had a '90 Cabriolet T and the engine is pretty much a rock solid marvel [Undermounted cross/trans transmission]. It's not unusual to see a bit of bottom scraping due to bottoming out, but that doesn't look like a deal breaker.
The 348 engine should not be needing any rebuild nor exotic problems save someone messed with the CATs, but even that is rare.
the only true issues you may have is the fuse box where it may have delaminated. Some other minor issues I'm sure I can remember, but small in comparison to much else in the Ferrari world. Rear passenger window if you have it stuck in the down position is a REAL chore.
the service of course is engine out, and I strongly suggest you do it that way....but you already probably know that.

Wheel bearings are EXPENSIVE and hard to find, and used as well in the Testarossa near year series.
An automatic leveling gear stripped here--rare--that can easily be cast by yourself using zinc/copper allow in a sand mold and/or sources at times...someone cast/made a batch in Al years ago but whatever.

I still have the Mondial cockpit cover that I used [daily driver] to cover the windshields, side mirrors, and rear leather parts but leave the engine bay open to exhaust heat: I used mine as a daily driver.

The gunk? well, a true, 348 qualified mechanic that does the service "as recommended" should sort that out: Expensive as engine out service for tune, belts, or water pump.

I would jerk the engine, check the water pump as that is an engine out too, and see if you should just replace the bearings and/or just insert a new pump [pricy]. DO THE BELTS. Need to dial in the tuning which you can do-- I was a checkbook owner, but the wife could tune it when we had the car serviced [pffft.. I stopped doing cars at the Model-T]
sometimes you need to make sure the radiator is clean, and in order. The power steering assembly might need servicing but not always needed, did for me.
switches go south at times.
I stil have the original Mondial Key fob as well.

interesting how I hung onto all this.

can't think of any overriding issues.... HOWEVER, examples varry, you may need to visit the gas pump system at this age.

rik

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have the Mondial cockpit cover that I used [daily driver] to cover the windshields, side mirrors, and rear leather parts but leave the engine bay open to exhaust heat: I used mine as a daily driver.

rik
Thank you for your tips! What color is the cockpit cover and are you looking to find a new home for it? :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts