Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestions? I've got a 1987 328 GTS with 37,000 miles. The speedometer has just stopped working. Dash lights are operating. Tach is still operable and all other gauges work as well. Is there a fuse or something else I'm missing or is the unit just bad? :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
If the 328 speedo is the same as the 308 speedo then the problem is the impulse generator which is mounted on the transmission just inboard of the right rear wheel. It sends the signal to the speedo. It is really in a bad spot as it picks up all the road dirt and mud and grease, etc. You might try just pulling off you R/R tire and see if you can clean the connections on this. If not a new one is less than $200 and it is easy to install.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I looked on Dennis McCann's site (http://www.allferrariparts.com) and he has the sending unit for $175. Here is a picture of it. Try cleaning the connections first.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello,
On my 308, it was not the speedo sensor but the speedometer itself, because there's a electronic circuit inside that is very fragile. It could be changed with no problem but you have to send the whole unit to the store. I did in France for 260€ but they told me it was their last one. It's very hard to find because it was a very new kind of built in 1974 but completly obsolete now. There Palo Alto Speedometer, Inc. ([email protected]) whom can do the job in St Fransisco. So test the speedo sensor if possible before changing it !
If this could help...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) Cleaned the leads and got'er working again. You all were right, the contacts are definitely in a bad location for dirt, etc. Back to normal though. Thanks for the insight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts