Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The horn in my 1985 308 does not work. I have determined that the problem is the contacts in the steering column. When turning the steering wheel I can hear the contacts scraping. I think that something is probably bent. The horn actually works when the steering wheel is in a particular position. My question is How do I get to those contacts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The contacts I am speaking of are the contacts between the stationary portion of the steering column and the rotating part (the steering wheel) I see a bunch of what appear to be screws with Allen Wrench heads on them that look like they hold the steering wheel on so that seems to be the logical place to start but I figured it would be best to get some advice before I begin.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You need to remove the steering wheel and the hub under the wheel. Need to fab special socket to remove nut. Use a steering wheel puller and remove the hub. All of the horn and directional stuff is there. The problem you are having is the horn comuntator ring. It is the one with the horn wire attached. This is pushed on with 3 molded type clips. You need to gently remove this and you will now see a piece of brass that is spring loaded. This is the problem. Most likely the end has worn off so you need to get a piece of brass and solder it on to the tip. This will fix it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts