Ferrari Life Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
749 Posts
Carson,

As already mentioned by Pete, if the speedo is u/s then the mileage is suspect. You will need to find alternative means to justify the mileage such as service records, log book, etc, as otherwise the car way turn out to be a 75K specimen! :eek: Don't forget that any future owner will be asking YOU for the same proof!

Welcome here, and the very best of luck. You are starting out well by being so thorough. :up:

· Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Spasso said:
Hi Pete,
You are right about the points with heavy springs. Always regapping the things. Even the stock, single point distributor in my 240 was challenged because of the 7,000 RPM redline. Had to regap once a month. I run a Mallory Unilite on my 350 small block and it is the only way to go. maintainance free.
Yes! The best way to deal with points is to get rid of them. I only have one car left with points. My '69 Jeep Commando with the Dauntless V-6. 160 HP of snow plowing fun. I picked up an HEI distributor (complete with coil) from an odd-fire V-6 Buick that will fit and allow me to do away with the points in that. I haven't put it in yet because the HEI distributor has the coil mounted in the cap and the hydraulic pump for the plow needs to be relocated.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It's mine!!!

Hi all!!

I believe the mileage to be accurate.

The 308 is now mine.

I have to ask, how does this compare to a 928 for daily driving?

It came with about 20K worth of records.

Included with the sale were some extra belts, air pump, tool kit, owners manual, spare tire, left over paint, and a set of work shop manuals that were printed off of a CD.

I believe that the most important maintainence is in this order:

1. Steering rack.
2. Repalce cam belts, recharge a/c, etc.
3. Adjust the parking brake.

After getting it home the oil leak is not nearly as bad as I thought it was and the same goes for the seats.

I have shopped around for a rack for it and found one at Carsteeringwholesale for $250. What do you think?

Any tips, suggestions on these three jobs would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Carson

· Administrator
6,317 Posts
Carson,

AWESOME! I love seeing people reach their dream and then sharing it with us. It is something that makes Ferrari Forum special to me. Hope you have fun making it 100% again. Please share some photos in the garage when you get the chance.

· Registered
12 Posts
1980 Ferrari 308 GTSi

Hey guys.... I'm new to this forum..... I'm really close to buying one too....
I'm buying from a exotic car dealer... Its being sold by a ferrari mechanic. He seems really creditible... 37 years on the job... He showed all the service papers.. All the work done by him since it was bought from him... It showed about 35,000 usd spent on the service done a few months ago.. The owner moved out of the states so he priced it at 28,000 usd... I just looked at it this morning.. The engine is clean, interior is almost perfect, exterior is has a few sctraches(only if you really get close).. It only has about 18,000 miles on it... So guys... what do you guys think?... I'm planning to buy this Monday...... thanks

· Registered
439 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase.

I drive a 1988 928 S4 as a daily driver and have a 1981 308 GTSi.

I had an accident in the 928 and with parts having to be ordered from Germany (I live in Africa after all), I have been without the Porsche and have been using the 308 as a daily driver for 6 weeks.

As a commute, the 308 can be a bit tiring if you are not in the mood but I must admit, it has been much better than I anticipated.

I still believe the best combination is a Porsche for weekdays and a Ferrari for weekends!

· Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Not a lot of power, ac poor, no visability out of the back, large turning radius. But I loved the sound of the engine and exhaust.
By today's standards that describes all 308s. I tell people that the car wasn't designed for parallel parking or city driving, it was designed to run on the open road at 7,800 rpms all day long.

· Registered
10 Posts
By today's standards that describes all 308s. I tell people that the car wasn't designed for parallel parking or city driving, it was designed to run on the open road at 7,800 rpms all day long.
Yes, I would agree with that. It was optimized for a very specific mission and it someone uses it for that mission they should be very pleased but if it is used for anything else I think that a buyer will be somewhat dissatisfied.

· Registered
9 Posts
IMHO
Like most things in life...value is based on condition and if you think you found a bargain, think again. With Ferraris you not buying a car but an expensive hobby. The good thing about the 308-328 is they are the cheapest to own but even so you will easily put another $6-10k into a car which looked perfect. Other model Ferraris can run considerably higher. Hopefully you won't be surprised but you need to be prepared.

That said, take time to find as near perfect a car as you can, get an PPI, and offer a respectable price and find a good mechanic.

Personally, the car as you described is a '20 footer' and I wouldn't go more than $12k, if your time is worth anything. Be careful of that little voice in the back of you head which continually says 'Oh, I can fix that'.

Something not often considered is the DFTR or ratio of driving time to fixing time. If you can live with spending more time fixing it than driving it...acknowledge that up front or rethink your position.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.