Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, looking to purchase a 1975 308 gt4. One that I am looking at has a single exhaust, instead of the dual exhaust that I have seen on nearly every other model? Can anyone enlighten me on if this is unique to this year or model, an option, or is it missing 1/2 the exhaust? If it is standard, does this affect the performance. This car is located in the US, I have only seen photos of one other gt4 with a single exhaust, located in Europe. Thanks for your insights.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I have never seen one with a single exhaust. Odd.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
That "single" exhaust most likely comes from a 308 GTB/S (maybe as a replaqement over the years) as the first series 308 GTB/S (the carburated) had single exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Sorry, but I checked Keith Bluemels V8 reference again and on the 308 GT4 exhaust he writes:

"On european cars each bank of cylinders had a four-branch tubular stelel exhaust manifold, whereas US and Australian models had pressed steel collector manifolds with air injection points. The forward manifold fed via a single pipe to a flanged connection into the righ hand side of the silencer box, while the rearward manifold fed in the same manner into the left-hand side of the silencer box....The exhaust gases exited through two pairs of chromed tail-pipes pointing directly rearward except for US models, which used tail-pipes with a 90 degrees bends to direct exhaust gases towards the ground. As this was not very pleasing aesthetically, Ferrari effected a modification in July 1975, so that dummy tail pipes shrouded the downward-facing pipes. Additionally US and austalian models were fitted with an evaporative loss system and an emission control device that injected air into the exhaust valve ports"

Hope that helps a little to bring light into the subject.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.