Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, this is my first post, but I thought some of you might enjoy this. I hope I am posting this in the right Forum.
I was approached by a customer to build a set of headers and full exhaust for a 1973 Daytona. (4.4L V-12) There was nothing wrong with the existing exhaust system, but the owner was looking for something more pleasing to the eye, and hopefully some gains in performance and sound.
Below are some photos I have snapped of the build thus far.
To date I have the drivers side header complete. It is only tack welded at this time, but is now ready to be finish welded. I am using a 6-into-2-into-1 header design. This system should yield a smoother power band throughout the full RPM range.
The owner wants to have a side exiting exhaust dumping out right before the rear tire. I was sceptical of this at first, but I believe I have a design that will hold to the classic design of this car.
I will update with pics as the project comes along. I hope to be complete by the second week of december as long as there are no set backs.
Feedback appreciated (Good or bad).

Regards,

CraigS

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a few more pics. The first photos show the fabrication of the front three cylinders on the drivers side. Below are the pics of the rear three cylinders and the complete header.

CraigS

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice work.

You might want to check on the legality of the side exhaust. I know they are frowned on in several places.
What exactly do you mean? I don't forsee any problems with them being legal or not.
The owner apparently has a some point seen this style on a Daytona, and liked the look. I searched on Google, and could only find an old photo of a race car that had this setup, but I didn't like the look on that particular car.
The pipes themselves will be well hidden under the car until the point of exit, so it won't have that cheezy side pipe look.

CraigS

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
looks pretty good!

if you don't mind me asking, how do you choose the diameter and shape of the tubes and manifolds?

do you make them yourself or buy them ready and just get everything together?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks pretty good!

if you don't mind me asking, how do you choose the diameter and shape of the tubes and manifolds?

do you make them yourself or buy them ready and just get everything together?
I purchase all my stainless from a company called SPD Exhaust. I work out all the small details with the owner (Chris) who is extremely knowledgable when it comes to correct sizing of an exhaust system. I give him as much information about the engine and its intended purpose, and he gives me primary sizes. The headers themselves are my own design. I purchase the merge collectors from SPD along with a select number of U-Bends and a set of Flanges, and then I get to work.

Thanks for looking,

CraigS

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Fantastic work, not many people can do good custom exhausts. If I was you, I would look into building 355 headers since they seem to be a big problem for the 355 owners. I am sure you could sell quite a few, well more like lots of them to owners who are tired of them cracking every few years and have to replace them for a small fortune. If I had a 355 and my headers were still good, I would remove them in a heartbeat to install yours and remove any possible future headaches down the road.

Anyways, my 2 cents…

~

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fantastic work, not many people can do good custom exhausts. If I was you, I would look into building 355 headers since they seem to be a big problem for the 355 owners. I am sure you could sell quite a few, well more like lots of them to owners who are tired of them cracking every few years and have to replace them for a small fortune. If I had a 355 and my headers were still good, I would remove them in a heartbeat to install yours and remove any possible future headaches down the road.

Anyways, my 2 cents…

~

I already built a set of headers for a 355 earlier this year. I never realized the demand at the time, and didn't think to make a jig for them. I made them stock replacement, as the customer wanted to re-install the factory shields. Ferrari uses a very odd center leg radius for all of their tubes, so finding the right U-bends for the build was hard. I would like the opportunity to build a performance upgrade set using a Tri-Y design, but Ferrari owners are very few and far between in my area. Any takers for a twin turbo build? :thumbup:

Thanks again to all for the kind words, I hope to be finished with the build this week. However, I am trying to convince the customer into letting me change the exhaust under the car to an oval system using a X pipe design to help balance the exhaust.

Regards,

Craig Sheffield
Sheffield Chassis Design
(850) 896 0904
[email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay guys, I finally got this thing wrapped up today. The passenger header gave me hell, but it turned out great. The car is being picked up tomorrow morning, and heading to another local shop to have the carbs tuned on their Dyno. I will be there with my camera to hear this beast fire up for the first time. I have a feeling that its going to be obnoxiously loud with the Burns race mufflers and side exhaust. Below are many new pics. I didn't get finished until night fall, so once the car gets pushed outside tomorrow I will snap some new shots of the car wearing its new exhaust sitting on the ground.

Thanks,

Craig Sheffield
Sheffield Chassis Design
(850) 896 0904
[email protected]

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Okay guys, I finally got this thing wrapped up today. The passenger header gave me hell, but it turned out great. The car is being picked up tomorrow morning, and heading to another local shop to have the carbs tuned on their Dyno. I will be there with my camera to hear this beast fire up for the first time. I have a feeling that its going to be obnoxiously loud with the Burns race mufflers and side exhaust. Below are many new pics. I didn't get finished until night fall, so once the car gets pushed outside tomorrow I will snap some new shots of the car wearing its new exhaust sitting on the ground.

Thanks,

Craig Sheffield
Sheffield Chassis Design
(850) 896 0904
[email protected]
Craig, Very much looking forward to see this. However I does not seem that the pictures you reference loaded properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Craig, Very much looking forward to see this. However I does not seem that the pictures you reference loaded properly.
For some reason none of my pictures are showing up on this thread. Even the older pics are gone. Does anyone have any idea what happened?

CraigS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts