Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any advise about buying and/or restoring a 1967 330 2+2? I have found one in need of complete restoration that I can get cheap (55k). Any clue how much it costs to totally restore?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Unfortunately it depends totally on condition & what is required in terms of parts.
Main considerations are mechanical condition & body condition - these are the 2 main areas that costs can escalate on & are subsequently difficult to estimate. I can't help you with much mechanical advice (calling Boxer???) but I can give you a guide on the body if you can provide some more details of it's condition:thumbup:
Best wishes, Al.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
330 2+2- Back from "eye over" inspection

I just got back from having my Ferrari mechanic check it out... interior is good- needs a few things, but nothing that will break the bank. Wheels need to be done over and engine... still a mystery. It's not running so looks like we're going to have it towed and put up and checked out. Could be a big deal and too much $$. Any clue on a total re-haul for a 330 engine? I'm thinking 35-50k?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Checking the date, I may be too late to add a worthwhile reply to this thread, but for future reference, please read these articles written by Michael Sheehan, that sheds light on the subject of Ferrari restorations:

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=SCM_200602_SS

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=SCM_200603_SS

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=SCM_200510_SS

Keep in mind, even though the subject cars are brought up to "Pebble Beach" standards which requires alot of extra, minute-detail work, even restoring a car to "driver" standards will still be in the 1000's of hours of labour, plus, parts prices are still the same...

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I just got back from having my Ferrari mechanic check it out... interior is good- needs a few things, but nothing that will break the bank. Wheels need to be done over and engine... still a mystery. It's not running so looks like we're going to have it towed and put up and checked out. Could be a big deal and too much $$. Any clue on a total re-haul for a 330 engine? I'm thinking 35-50k?
Sorry, just saw this tread. Rebuilding the engine will be a $30-60k job depending on how much work need to be done.

In this case I think you are still better off buying someone elses restoration. By the time you are finished this could be a $80k bargain or a $150k money pit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
From an investment stand point I think you are much better off buying one that has already been restored. More often than not the average person spends more on a restoration than the car will be worth upon it's completion. If you were able to do all or most of the work yourself it would be a different story I am sure.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts