Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put stock U.S. or stock looking aftermarket 16" wheels on my euro 308. Any input or comment would be appreciated. I'm wondering about diameter/spedometer issues as well.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
6,320 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by issues. If you will be using "stock" wheels then wouldn't this mean the original wheels? If you are trying to upgrade the wheel size the way to offset this so there aren't and speedo issues is to get a lower profile tire. The result will be the same overall diameter from rubber to rubber but with a smaller profile you'll gain better handling and still get the 1" larger looking wheel.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,990 Posts
LouGaudio,

Simple, measure the tire and rim diameter together. So if the rim is 15.5 and the top of the tire is 4.5 inches, add twice the tire (top/bottom) so its 9 inches and add it to your rim. A total of 24.5 inches. Problem is you can only do an aprox match because the tire has to be on the rim. Don't use the rim size to calculate because some have a larger lip than others and don't measure the bottom of the tire because it has the weight of the car on it. So you can get a 17.5 rim (the .5 is bottom and top lip) and get a 3.5 inch tire. Your rim will be bigger and the tire a lot smaller and you will keep the same diameter so it wont affect your revolution of the tire and speedo will be the same.

Good luck !
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,509 Posts
Put the measuring tape away. The height is written on the side of the tire (Did I mention that I used to work for Goodyear?). The stock tire is 205/70-14, the tread is 205mm wide and the height is 70% of that, 143.5mm or 5.65" tall. Double that and add the rim and you get a height of 25.3"

I've got 16"x7" rims on the front of my car with 205/55-16 tires. That would be 205mm wide, the height is 55% of that or 112.75mm (4.44") so the height of that tire is 24.88".

On the rear I've got 16"x8" rims and 225/50-16 tires. An inch wider than the front, but a lower profile. 24.86" tall. Much better traction with the wider tire. (and of course with the smaller sidewall there is less "give" resulting in better handling, of course with less "give" expect your ride quality to diminish a bit.)

If you want 4 identical tires and rims go with the 7" rims and 205/55-16 tires all around. The wider tires will rub on the front. My tires are directional so they can only go on one side and different sizes front and rear so rotating the tires is out of the question. Not really an issue for me, one less thing I have to do. Plus I really like the looks of the wider tire in the back.

So no real speedometer issues for such a small height difference, the circumference is less than 2% smaller. The speedo will be off by about 1mph at highway speed. (on the high side).

I don't think 308 speedo's are that accurate anyway, I guess if it works at all you should consider yourself lucky. Plus the only time you really look at a speedometer is if you see a cop or if you want to see exactly how slow the idiot in front of you is going. "Look at this!! The speed limit is 45 and this idiot is doing 40!!" When you pass him you don't look at the speedometer anymore. Am I right?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,990 Posts
Pete04222 said:
Put the measuring tape away. The height is written on the side of the tire (Did I mention that I used to work for Goodyear?). The stock tire is 205/70-14, the tread is 205mm wide and the height is 70% of that, 143.5mm or 5.65" tall. Double that and add the rim and you get a height of 25.3"
Just like I said, I just used an easier way to explain it......

Smart ass ! :green:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Pete04222 said:
Plus the only time you really look at a speedometer is if you see a cop or if you want to see exactly how slow the idiot in front of you is going. "Look at this!! The speed limit is 45 and this idiot is doing 40!!" When you pass him you don't look at the speedometer anymore. Am I right?
Very wrong. You def have to look at the speedo to see how fast you've accelerated past the grandpa! :green:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,509 Posts
magnum6464 said:
Just like I said, I just used an easier way to explain it......

Smart ass ! :green:
No.... It's not just like you said. I gave him the answer. You've got him out there in the driveway with a flashlight and a tape measure, all bent over with his tongue hanging out to the side, one eye squinting and trying to determine if the tire is 24 3/4" tall or 25 1/4" tall. I've already told him it's 25.3" tall and exactly what size 16" tires he needs so he doesn't even need to leave his computer before he clicks on tirerack.com to order them.

Smart ass yourself! :wink:

BTW Lou, Welcome to the site and as you can see we do like to joke around and have a good time here. We're all friends and if you have any questions about your 308 or just need a Ferrari support group to lean on, we're here for you man! The first step is admitting you have a problem!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,509 Posts
FunkyJunc said:
Very wrong. You def have to look at the speedo to see how fast you've accelerated past the grandpa! :green:
Well, my 308 is a '79 so the speedo only goes up to 85mph. I have to rely on the police radar to verify my actual speed. :green:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,990 Posts
Pete04222 said:
magnum6464 said:
Just like I said, I just used an easier way to explain it......

Smart ass ! :green:
No.... It's not just like you said. I gave him the answer. You've got him out there in the driveway with a flashlight and a tape measure, all bent over with his tongue hanging out to the side, one eye squinting and trying to determine if the tire is 24 3/4" tall or 25 1/4" tall. I've already told him it's 25.3" tall and exactly what size 16" tires he needs so he doesn't even need to leave his computer before he clicks on tirerack.com to order them.

Smart ass yourself! :wink:

Well Pete, I didn't use real measures, I used example dimensions to just explain the thought process and not for him to go and buy tires on the spot. He didn't even give tire size for me to calculate. So I gave an example....

And yes it is like I said ! :wink: :roll: :green:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,509 Posts
magnum6464 said:
Well Pete, I didn't use real measures, I used example dimensions to just explain the thought process and not for him to go and buy tires on the spot. He didn't even give tire size for me to calculate. So I gave an example....

And yes it is like I said ! :wink: :roll: :green:
Well, the stock tire size is just a few mouse clicks away. Refer to the quote from Bart in my signature.

If Lou is like me, when he posts a question, He wants Answers Damn It! Not examples!!!

(Lou, sorry to drag you into this, it seems magnum and I are working out a few issues. I think he just needs to put down the beer and step away from the computer.)

Magnum, just messing with you, I think maybe it's me that needs to put down the beer and step away from the computer. Well, maybe one more and then I'll go to bed. :green: :green: :green:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, Pete

Hey Pete,
I get your choice of cars. Very nice CJ. My daily driver is a '04 4wd V6 Tacoma PU, TRD w/ full supercharger, 7th injector fuel map computer, headers, cat back exhaust and cold air induction, 5 speed stick. I believe style and acceleration are God given rights, on or off road.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,990 Posts
Pete04222 said:
If Lou is like me, when he posts a question, He wants Answers Damn It! Not examples!!!

I think he just needs to put down the beer and step away from the computer.)

Magnum, just messing with you, I think maybe it's me that needs to put down the beer and step away from the computer. Well, maybe one more and then I'll go to bed. :green: :green: :green:
I know Pete, im getting to know you by now :green:

But I should let you know, Im also a Gemini, part smart ass and part asshole who happens to be Italian. Whoa, what a perfect mix for disaster. Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Stay off the sauce when on the PC hahaha!!! :green:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,509 Posts
magnum6464 said:
But I should let you know, Im also a Gemini, part smart ass and part asshole who happens to be Italian. Whoa, what a perfect mix for disaster. Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Stay off the sauce when on the PC hahaha!!! :green:
I'm a Scorpio and French, but the rest of your description of yourself fits me too. :green:

And when I've been drinking....I seem to be drawn to the internet like a moth to a flame.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,990 Posts
Pete04222 said:
I'm a Scorpio and French, but the rest of your description of yourself fits me too. :green:

And when I've been drinking....I seem to be drawn to the internet like a moth to a flame.
I also speak French, fluent on both, do you speak as well ?

I barely drink anymore, being a big guy, 6 feet 260lbs and wide like my fridge it got too expensive, im too cheap and I seem to draw too many people who think they are Mike Tyson. I used to be a doorman a few years back and personal bodyguard for singers during some outdoor events here. I just got tired of fighting. :evil: Too many freaks with guns. I have been stabbed once and shot at twice with a shotgun at bars, not a happy feeling I tell ya when you cant shoot back :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
This is as good as it gets. Here is a wheel that will fit your car 17x7 and 17x8. Tire size 215/45/17 and 235/45/17. Close to the same diameter as the 328.
Stock 328 overall wheel and tire diameter 205/55/16 (24.83") and 225/50/16 (24.88"). Aftermarket SL Competition wheel and tire diameter
215/45/17 (25") and 235/45/17 (25.40"). Email [email protected]
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOU GAUDIO WITH THE 308 WHEEL CONUNDRUM

Hey Guys,
Again, thanx for the input.
Raywheels, I think that tire and wheel setup is cool, very open and exposes the brakes ( I'm thinking of doing some performance and cosmetic upgrades there as well), but not the nearly stock or very '85 FERRARI look I seek.
Magnum, I'm also a Gemini, Italian, part smartass, part asshole and VERY Obsessive Compulsive (ask my wife, she will confirm) so, Hahhahaha yourself and my compliments and condolences simultaneously, yet seperatley, at the same time, but different. Jeeze, I think I better go for a drive in my 308.
But seriously, folks, help me find the stock USA 16's or the riveted 288 GTO look aftermarkets, and the reason I am concerned with the speedo issue is the fact that my car is euro production graymarket and maybe the set up is different than the USA model with 16" wheels etc. ( I do own several tape measures, so I'll figure that part out)
On the rear bumper issue. My car has no energy absorbers, just a sloted hole pinch bolt tube in tube thing, (euro car with D.O.T 49 state import tag until I had it converted for California EPA compliance). But the problem is that the rear bumper is BENT (or slightly bowed ) from previous owner or some minor rear end BONK. So, Iwould like to straighten or replace with good used or new (found new online, but $700 plus shipping for a chunk of rubber and steel seems a bit out of line), INPUT PLEASE !

CIAO,
LUIGI :(
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top