Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
alsaautomotive said:
If anyone is interested in following the progress of the restoration of this 14 louvre Tour de France please check out our website! I would be interested in any feedback comments.
Thanks,
Al.
Restoration or recreation? On which site can we have a look?

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Al,

Welcome to Ferrari Forum, glad to have some knowledgable restoration experts here. We will certainly follow this closely and I wish you the best of luck on the project.

Regards,
Andrew

·
Registered
160 Posts
alsaautomotive said:
Absolutely correct, our client has spent the past 15 years or so locating as much as possible, however the body was destroyed. Mechanically it is virtually complete.
How is this possible? The original car was broken up. He spent the last 15 years trying to find all the parts that were sold off? "Virtually Complete". Define Virtually. 90%? 60%? 30%?

Sorry, i'm just not buying that the car is almost all original (mechanically)

·
Registered
4 Posts
0647gt

OK, I have to ask: exactly what parts are claimed to be original? When I broke it up for parts, the engine/trans went to Merritt, so you may have those. And you have the original title from Helm, I think. I haven't told ANYONE where the chassis went. Anything else? Respectfully, and full of curiosity, Ed Niles

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ed Niles said:
OK, I have to ask: exactly what parts are claimed to be original? When I broke it up for parts, the engine/trans went to Merritt, so you may have those. And you have the original title from Helm, I think. I haven't told ANYONE where the chassis went. Anything else? Respectfully, and full of curiosity, Ed Niles
Welcome to you to Ed,

Just out of curiosity. Why did you part out that car? Can you tell us more about that car and esp the chassis. If you claim that nobody knows where the chassis is except for you, then you might still have that chassis?

Could the chassis of Al be recreation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
0647gt

Very simple: At the time, any Ferrari (used, that is) was a $4500 car. It would have cost far more than that to repair. Noone, except Dick Merritt and a few others, foresaw the huge run-up in prices. Had my chrystal ball been functioning, I'd be a multi-millionaire now! I paid $1000 for the wreck, sold the engine/trans to Merritt for the same amount, and got maybe another $1000 for miscellaneous bits--swore I would never do that again as it was too much work. Stupid me!

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
0647gt

Ed Niles said:
I haven't told ANYONE where the chassis went. Ed Niles
Welcome to the Forum, Ed. I guess that this quote from the Ferrari Owners Club UK about 0647GT at the Concours this year is wrong then !!

"GT car fans had the rare sight of a pair of 250 GT LWB Tour de France 14 louvre berlinettas. The first was chassis # 0647GT, in partially restored form, understood to be built up on the original chassis obtained from Ed Niles in the USA, although the stamping is in the wrong place and in the wrong style of ciphers on the left side of the front cross member."

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
For the record FerrariLife does not endorse anything in this topic it is all hear say. Just wanted to get that out of the way in the event the new owner gets POed.

marlin,

Thanks for posting the article excert. Very interesting. We were suppose to cover this restoration in great detail in the Model & Registry section but I never did find the time to build the section up on the website. I have a ton of photos in my email from the restoration and will see if I have permission to upload them. I recall one that showed the body being delivered.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
0647gt

According to John Starkey's excellent book " Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta - Tour De France" (ISBN - 1 874105 75 8, buy it if you haven't already got it)

Quote -

"1967: Bad crash with Helm on Hollywood freeway. Car sold to Ed Niles, broken up and parts sold. Chassis left at S & A Italia Sports Cars."
1989: Chassis and some parts discovered and sold to a buyer in England. Car being rebuilt."

This is what makes it so interesting :)
If only the cars could talk.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone that would like the full story should pm me.

You really could write a book about 0647 and it's 'offshoots'.

Lets just say that I and a number of other people have been somewhat naive! But I still stand by my exceptional standard of work.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
As nobody has bothered to reply to personnal messages here is the story -
and it goes like this -
I ran a small but (I like to think) very high quality restoration & refinishing shop in South Wales. Quite happily working along with a couple of projects at any one time not needing to advertise, doing work for 2 large scale but very private collectors in Wales. Sadly late in 2004 one of my patrons passed away, I had the 'brainwave' of putting an advert on ebay for our services, wondering how widespread interest would be; the results were phenomenal! Within a few months we were in larger premises, with new equipment and more staff. One of the enquiries we had was from a gentleman in Sheffield about rebuilding a 250 TdF that had recently been rebodied. Having been to Sheffield to view another couple of jobs I came away thinking we had 'bagged' probably the most important customer I could possibly have imagined - having seen some of his collection which appeared to include a GTO, another TdF, Daytona, Lusso and a 250TR copy.
The first job we took on for this client was the 250TR copy as the rebodied TdF was not ready to be delivered.
All of this owners' cars were described to me as being 'the real mccoy' except the TR, indeed he took pains to relate the history of the GTO, the 2nd TdF and 0647.
I am convinced the reason I was picked to do the cars was simply that I ran a small scale operation, was not particularly used to Ferrari's, and probably came across as being in awe of this customer (which is certainly true).
When 0647 arrived I was pretty shocked by the standard of work carried out on the body, checking back through our records we spent 767 hours correcting work and properly gapping, levelling etc before we could begin any preparation.
The chassis had been crudely painted in a synthetic chassis black which all had to be stripped away. It was while doing this that I came across '1051' stamped on the l/h chassis rail just to the rear of the fron l/h shock absorber mount. Unfortunately by this time I had already begun publicising the rebuild (with the full co-operation of the owner) to try to raise the profile of my company. At this point in the rebuild I simply kept quiet and dropped off the publicity realising that something wasn't quite right but not knowing exactly what the position was. (It was also obvious by this time that the chassis plate carrying the 0647 numbering had been welded into place and filled to hide the welding).
By this time other work from the original ebay ad had started to dry up, and having completed the Lusso for this customer and him having seen the standard we were capable of he sent down another 4 cars to keep us going - by this time we were working almost exclusively for this customer alone.
I did tackle the owner about the provenance of 0647 and recieved the reply that the title was his irrespective of what the car actually was.
The upshot of all this is that I was asked to collect some original 50's paperwork that the customer had bought on ebay relating to 0609GT - a long since sold low roof Boano.
On delivering this to Sheffield it became clear that the customer was planning on 'adapting' the numbers to read 0647.
At this time I forced the issue that we had been underpaid for the work we had done for this customer and basically he withdrew his custom. When the car (0647) left us it was painted, all suspension, steering, brakes and running gear built and ready for trimming.
I will always stand by the quality of work we were able to achieve, ultimately my business failed because I put myself in the position of being reliant on one client.
However, I firmly believe that 0647 has been done specifically to decieve. I know that the customer bought 1051GT as a donor car (with an inside plug engine) and I know that the chassis of that car is what is purporting to be the chassis of 0647GT.#
Whether he actually owns any of the remains of 0647 I really do not know, but personally I doubt it, the engine in 0647 is definetely the one from 1051 - it is still stamped between the distributors despite the main engine number reading 0647.
As a subnote, the subcontractor that used to undertake my mechanical work (supramanic) took over the work and a couple of members of my staff. This only lasted for 3 months - it was he who took the car to the FOC and apparently took the glory for the quality of work!
I hope you all find this interesting/useful, also if you do hear of any opportunities within the trade, I would appreciate you contacting me.
Please let me know your thoughts,
I can also supply info on 1751GT and 5913GT to clarify their provenance.
Cheers all,
Alun Wilsher.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts