F*ck Virginia and their $2M magic mile - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 02-02-2015, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
F*ck Virginia and their $2M magic mile

MY MONDAY RANT

Just got a ticket for doing 80mph in a 70mph on I-95 northbound outside Richmond, VA (Hopewell, to be exact).

So much for setting the cruise control and getting a bye for driving 10mph above the speed limit and maintaining traffic flow in the far right lane. I was in very light traffic, clear skies, dry pavement, not driving recklessly and cars were PASSING ME in the right lanes. I was the only one in the group with out-of-state tags.

I'm hoping points don't transfer to MD (does anyone know if they do?)

It's just a money grab for the local towns -- see article:

Hopewell Deputy Sheriff Travis Stanley monitors traffic
Posted: Sunday, February 5, 2012 12:00 am by Mark Bowes

Hopewell's so-called million-dollar mile is now pushing the $2 million mark in annual revenue for the cash-strapped city of smokestacks.

A traffic-enforcement program that runs 14 hours a day, seven days a week along a 1- to 2-mile section of Interstate I-95 through the city has drawn the attention — and in some cases, ire — of some Virginia legislators and officials within the Virginia State Police.

The Hopewell Sheriff's Office, whose primary function is to provide courtroom security and serve civil-process papers, has carved out a special unit — complete with its own dispatching system — to focus solely on catching motorists who exceed the 70 mph speed limit as they pass briefly through Hopewell.

Eleven sheriff's deputies, all but one of whom are part time, wrote 14,778 tickets in 2011 with $2,056,387 in assessed fines, with more than $1.6 million of that being collected, the Sheriff's Office said. Seventy-five percent of those cited were from out of state.

The program, which Sheriff Greg Anderson started as a one-officer operation a year after he took office in 2006, has expanded over the past five years in personnel and revenue generated for the city.

The $26,665 in fines assessed in 2007 grew fivefold to $160,646 in 2008, tripled to $634,655 in 2009, nearly doubled to $1.1 million in 2010 and passed the $2 million mark last year.

"It's not about the money to me," Anderson said forcefully and repeatedly during a recent interview. The purpose, the sheriff said, is to slow people down and save lives.
"I'm actually corny enough to think that I can send a message in that (section of I-95) that might resonate and have an impact on people for a long stretch of that highway," he said.

The cash pouring into city coffers as a result of the fines, Anderson explained, "is the punishment piece" for breaking the law, and nothing more.

"It's astonishing to me that these people still come blowing through there at these high rates of speed," added Anderson, who takes umbrage at the suggestion that the sums being collected appear excessive.

"Is there a cutoff?" he said pointedly.

Unbelievable. I WILL NEVER live in, or purchase any products or services from this state. Ever.

Last edited by 360 Modena; 02-02-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 02-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 269
I thought these traps were illegal?

94 F348 Challenge
95 F355 Challenge x 2
97 F355 Spider
post #3 of 49 Old 02-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Al, that sucks.

If this is any console, years back, I was casually cruising a tollway (speed limit of 60 kph, yes kph not mph) at around 67kph (told later) when a blinding orange light, speeding camera got me. Why the ticket (?), was told later that the intersection I was passing had a speed limit of 40kph...which was a stretch of 500 meters connecting two toll ways. I remember the fine was like $700 plus points deductions and the red tape.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

post #4 of 49 Old 02-02-2015, 12:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Points do transfer to MD

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #5 of 49 Old 02-02-2015, 12:16 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Ah, that's rough!

I'm not sure about Virginia, but here in NC, it's usually pretty easy to get an attorney to represent the ticket for you, without you having to appear. In NC, if you're traveling at 20 mph or less OVER the posted speed limit, you can usually get the speeding dropped to Improper Equipment, which means no points

My advice is to give a traffic attorney in the county of your ticket a call and see what they can do.

Best of luck to you!

[email protected]
post #6 of 49 Old 02-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,317
Alby, You're not alone. I got popped there too when I first moved here. I've since learned (in part by the cop who wrote me up) they set their radar alarms at 79-80. I now travel at 78 or slower, and try and stay out of the fast lane. But don't think it's just that stretch of 95. They have traps all along 95 starting around Quantico and going all the way south past Norfolk. Esp between Richmond and Williamsburg, there to catch all those liberty-preserving members of the military.

Oh, and I had no choice but to appear in person. Nor did those VA scumbags offer traffic school either.

Like the asset forfeiture program, it's just a form of legalized robbery.

Only saving grace was the points did not catch up to my California license.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #7 of 49 Old 02-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,021
Could be worse - you could have bet on the Seahawks.

His brother is the offensive coach for Seattle - Mom must be proud.

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #8 of 49 Old 02-05-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner

My nephew is wearing a Seahawks jersey to his Calculus exam tomorrow so he will pass when he really shouldn't.
post #9 of 49 Old 02-05-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ticket is $121...I plan to write the judge a letter and ask for forgiveness and PBJ with my check for $121. I might even mention that I'm a Vietnam era vet with a clean driving record of over 30 years. I'll post how that works out. These judges just might have some compassion in them. From now on, I won't go more than 5 mph faster than speed limit or even less. It's not worth it.
post #10 of 49 Old 02-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Al,

You just don't want to come to Melbourne. We have those everywhere. Guys like me who drive a lot are generally OK because we know where most of them are. Sometimes, however, you stop being vigilant and you clock up a fine. Less experienced drivers are stuffed.

We also have mobile speed cameras set up in parked cars.

Last time I looked the annual revenue was well over $300,000,000. They even now have speed cameras hooked in to traffic lights at intersections. Increase your speed a little to make the green light and you are nabbed.

Advice -

1. Considering your clean driving record, also state that one purpose of speed camera is to modify driving behaviour. The mere shock of receiving the infringement notice has modified your behaviour, you don't need the fine! Don't mention Ferrari and don't mention the speeds are set ridiculously low.

2. Have used the above defence successfully where I received several fines over a couple of days from a new speed camera. I pleaded that I could only change my behaviour after receiving the initial infringement, which I did. The 1st was enforced and the others were waived. Phew, otherwise I would have been walking for a while.

Melbourne, the revenue raising capital. Speeding fines and rampant gambling everywhere.

David.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali
post #11 of 49 Old 02-06-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks David, good advice. Not having a ticket of any sort for over 30 years, this is quite a shock to my system.
post #12 of 49 Old 02-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Owner

Recently I was travelling along an 100kph freeway that has hidden cameras under the bridges. A lot of folk have heard of the hidden cameras but think that they are hidden in the tolling gantries that make our etags beep.

Driving along at 120kph, I gradually slowed down to 100 for the bridge. Lady behind me went berserk. Hooting and light flashing.

After the bridge I resume my 120. Lady behind overtakes me with the usual road rage cursing. I follow her at a safe distance but match her speed to around 130.

She then slams on her brakes just before the next gantry.

That's when I realise that she has just got it wrong.

She then speeds of with me following, towards the next hidden bridge cameras. Realising that I should warn the poor thing I flashing furiously as I slow to 100.

Let's just say that my flashing didn't produce my intended results. She instead planted her foot, passing under the bridge at way over 180.

OOPS!!!!

30ks over is mandatory loss of licence here. 50ks over is much worse including car impoundment. I think higher speeds incur a custodial sentence.

David.

post #13 of 49 Old 02-07-2015, 02:06 AM
Owner

David, sounds like female drivers are wild there ?

Stop being so nice to them. Let them be like a macho.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #14 of 49 Old 02-07-2015, 02:07 AM
Owner

Al, that fine is less than parking ticket over here ! You can even tip the cop.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #15 of 49 Old 02-07-2015, 02:20 AM
Owner

Mate was booked by motorbike cop in northern Muslim Malaysia just after US Iraqi air strikes.

After explaining that then Australia had nothing to do with the US, the irate cop said a $150 USD speeding fine would be sent unless a $50 USD payment (underhand of course) was paid to him.

My friend suggested just write and send the fine because he only had a $100 US bill. Cop said "no worries I've got change".

Took the $100, walked to his bike and returned with $50.

My buddy couldn't believe this. Why didn't he just leave with the $100?

Semi honest I guess?

David.

post #16 of 49 Old 02-07-2015, 02:24 AM
Owner

Heh Jimmy, I've gotta be tougher with these chick road ragers. my wife is taking me to see 'Fifty shades of Grey' next week. Apparently a lot of bondage is shown and the girls like it????????? WTF!. Could be chance to 'man up' for a change and get the balance back in my favour. Otherwise horrible cos nobody is tying this little duck up.

David.

post #17 of 49 Old 02-07-2015, 02:29 AM
Owner

David, I would leave the females to you but as for the said Malaysian cop, it must be his religion that makes him act as such.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #18 of 49 Old 02-07-2015, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

F*ck Virginia and their $2M magic mile

David, sad to say you'll be the one in handcuffs and tied up after next week's movie screening. Post pictures, or it didn't happen.

I'm willing to bet Wetpet already has tickets and a front row seat. He may even have a cameo role in the movie.
post #19 of 49 Old 02-07-2015, 05:13 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360 Modena View Post
David, sad to say you'll be the one in handcuffs and tied up after next week's movie screening. Post pictures, or it didn't happen.

I'm willing to bet Wetpet already has tickets and a front row seat. He may even have a cameo role in the movie.
No pics will occur, so it never happens......Just the way I like it.

As for the man called Wetpet. Rumour is that he has asked Ferrari to trial stiletto proof carbon fiber hoods......Apparently he got pulled over by cops and was asked "Who shot bullets into your Ferrari". Unfortunately had to come clean.

So, I think he just might be up for anything.

If I find myself in the unlikely opportunity of not being blindfolded I will try to catch his cameo role.

David.

post #20 of 49 Old 02-07-2015, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner

LOL. We expect a complete and thorough review of the movie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode