Movie: Ron Howard's 'Rush' - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-27-2013, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,067
Movie: Ron Howard's 'Rush'

We saw the movie last night. FOW bought out one of the theaters, and invited customers. A friend gave me two tickets. The story was well-told, with plenty of action. As I had read in advance, at least one of the after-accident scenes had a gruesome open leg fracture, and the Lauda burn scenes were very cringe-inducing. Still, it's a compelling story, and even my wife really liked it. Almost as much as she liked Senna, which was a lot. Ron Howard always does a good job of telling a complicated story in a simple, narrative way - like he did in Apollo 13. Very interesting racing scenes, and I liked the 'inside the engine' effects they did several times. Good realism for the racing bits. The sub-story about the Hesketh team was entertaining, too.

Afterward, as you might expect considering the audience, there was a bit of carping about the liberties taken with the Hunt-Lauda relationship, and some other details. Nothing really bothered me, terribly, but I could not help but think someone was damned proud of finding a 6-wheeled Tyrell, since it popped up in scene after scene. The Lotus 72 got some good screen time, as well.

All in all, a racing movie all Lotus people - or anyone interested in F1 - ought to see. For comparison purposes, I didn't find it quite as good as Grand Prix or LeMans, but this is one I will definitely see again!

--Bob Collum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Thanks for the quick review Bob. I was unsure after watching the previews whether it was going to be unnecessarily theatrical or grounded in reality well enough to be an interesting movie, sounds like Ron did a reasonable job of making a movie with both characteristics.

post #3 of 7 Old 10-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 355
Garage
I am going to see it in a few minutes. Will let you guys know what I think.

I didn't start watching F1 until 1983 so this is not from my F1 live watching days.

MB

post #4 of 7 Old 10-09-2013, 04:44 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
...theatrical or grounded in reality ... Ron did a reasonable job of making a movie with both characteristics.
i saw it last week with my wife (not a car person). She liked it and I liked it. It motivated her to research the main charaters, which is cool.

It is true: it's not any sort of hard core racer's documentary, but tells a good story about what it was like in those crazy days. There is a quick scene early on which has not been mentioned, which show the consequence of a car crashing through a gaurd rail. THAT is the gore that is etched in my mind.

1983 308 GTS Quattrovalvole
post #5 of 7 Old 10-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 355
Garage
Just got done watching it.. It was a good movie...much more about how to live life than a racing movie. Still good scenes and Ron Howard did a great job of realism.

Kudos for an F1 race that will have people who are not car people get interested in F1 or even racing in general.

MB
post #6 of 7 Old 10-10-2013, 05:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Saw it as well and was really impressed with it. Great night out.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #7 of 7 Old 10-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
i saw it last week with my wife (not a car person). She liked it and I liked it. It motivated her to research the main charaters, which is cool.

It is true: it's not any sort of hard core racer's documentary, but tells a good story about what it was like in those crazy days. There is a quick scene early on which has not been mentioned, which show the consequence of a car crashing through a gaurd rail. THAT is the gore that is etched in my mind.
Great point. I'm young enough that deaths in racing are reasonably controlled, I can't imagine being a driver then and getting into a car practically KNOWING you could get killed before seasons end and still pushing they way they did.

These guys really were lunatics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode