Virginia DMV question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 438
Virginia DMV question

I got a question for you VA folks. A buddy of mine is considering the purchase of a 92 Panoz. 2200 pound car with a 5.0. The car has no top and no windshield wipers.

How hard would it be to license in Virginia? Its one year short of the 20 year mark so that might make it interesting.

thanks

ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 08:22 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 70
Is the car already in the US? If so it will make it (just) a bit easier, but it's not going to be fun.

IIRC, He will have to bring extensive documentation to the State Police and go through a special inspection before attempting to go to DMV to register. Special build and kit cars are handled on a case-by-case basis by a special inspector.

The top is of no concern, but the windscreen safety equipment is going to be the difficult part. He might have to prove that none of them were built with wipers and cite other VA (or inspection state) ownership to get their paper.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I've got some information I can forward if he needs it. Like Brian says, if there's other 92's in the country it won't be too difficult as the DOT and EPA will have specs and what not to work with already. If not you can go the special build route or you can do a "show and display" registration which limits the mileage to about 1500 per year but helps avoid some of the safety requirements.

post #4 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
There are Panoz street cars and racecars. The racecars are sold without a title and are not street legal and damn near imposible to register anywhere.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #5 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
I've got some information I can forward if he needs it. Like Brian says, if there's other 92's in the country it won't be too difficult as the DOT and EPA will have specs and what not to work with already. If not you can go the special build route or you can do a "show and display" registration which limits the mileage to about 1500 per year but helps avoid some of the safety requirements.
Thanks for the info. The car is in Chicago and has been licensed in the states. I'm not sure which state but assume Illinois.

cheerz

ken
post #6 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Master Mechanic

If it's been licensed in the US already it will have DOT and EPA labels and paperwork on it already which will resolve most of that concern. As for missing equipment causing a safety inspection issue, we can remedy that quite easily so if he runs into trouble get in contact with me and we'll get him sorted out.

post #7 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvisser View Post
Thanks for the info. The car is in Chicago and has been licensed in the states. I'm not sure which state but assume Illinois.

cheerz

ken
Ken,

if he already has an IL title, then all he needs to do is to go to DMV with the title and have it transferred. He should have no trouble getting a VA title. Now, the registration should go as smooth as long as he has done the emissions inspection prior to going to DMV, unless he can qualify for an exemption (e.g., a true EURO spec car). The car can be titled and registered without the inspection sticker.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

great

Quote:
If it's been licensed in the US already it will have DOT and EPA labels and paperwork on it already which will resolve most of that concern. As for missing equipment causing a safety inspection issue, we can remedy that quite easily so if he runs into trouble get in contact with me and we'll get him sorted out.
Looks like he is buying the car so he's real excited to know there is someone that can assist should that be necessary. I've given Jeremy your contact info.

thanks again for all the quick responses

ken
post #9 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Master Mechanic

Thanks Ken. Be sure to congratulate him for us!

post #10 of 15 Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Thanks Ken. Be sure to congratulate him for us!
and invite him to Great Falls and the Holy Donut. Would love to see the car. Congrats to him!
post #11 of 15 Old 08-09-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

car in possession

Jeremy has picked up his car and drove it back to Virginia and no tickets! Car ran great. He smoked a Z06 the other day, which was driven by a cop. Who then flashed the badge but just wanted to know what the heck he was driving.

Evidently this car is the first Panoz sold. There were 3 mules then this car. David Panoz called Jeremy up and wants to see the car.

I've already given Jeremy the specs on the Falls Church and Holy donut shows. He should be making it out there.

I'm solo this coming weekend so I'm going to try and make it out to Great Falls on Saturday for the first time.

cheerz!

ken
post #12 of 15 Old 08-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Master Mechanic

Great post, glad he's thoroughly enjoying the new ride! I'll be out again this Saturday morning, perhaps we'll cross paths.

post #13 of 15 Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvisser View Post

I've already given Jeremy the specs on the Falls Church and Holy donut shows. He should be making it out there.

cheerz!

ken
Ken,

it is Great Falls, not Falls Church.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Geez Ken, No pics?

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #15 of 15 Old 08-09-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

haven't seen it in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
Geez Ken, No pics?
I haven't seen it in person, as of yet. Hopefully Jeremy is driving it into work this week.

cheerz

ken

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode