Maserati Quattroporte Refinished (in progress) - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-09-2010, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 190
Maserati Quattroporte Refinished (in progress)

Metallic black Maserati Quattroporte in pretty hideous condition. The outrageous metal flake combined with my sub par camera will make many defects difficult to so I do apologize before hand.

The entire car pretty much looks the same, aside from all the etching on the horizontal panels which my camera didn't want to capture.

Everything was taped up to prepare for polishing after washing and claying, including the interior b pillar which was machine polished along with the door shuts.

The etching on the horizontal surfaces required sanding, and a lot of energy.

Still working on it, much more to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 460
Nice work
post #3 of 17 Old 05-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 164
+1. Hard to get black metallic to look perfect.

Also, you might want to talk to the owner on how to minimize future damage. Stuff like hand-wash using 2 buckets, wash the wheels with different bucket/clothes than body paint, etc. If hand-washing is not an option for the owner, then at least find an automated car wash that is brushless.

post #4 of 17 Old 05-14-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I have already sanded down all the touch ups and polished them out, just haven't taken pictures of them yet, it's the correct paint, but this metallic is so over powering that the touched up areeas look a little darker, but much better than big gashes in the paint.

The edge along the hood looked like someone dug into it with a knife, you can see fibers pretty clearly in these gouges.

Touched up

You really have to remove the grill on this car, it gets so nasty in the deep pocket behind it.

Yet another spot to touch up, it was white, with fibers exposed.

Sun shots, tough to capture with all those flakes.

post #5 of 17 Old 05-14-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

post #6 of 17 Old 05-14-2010, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 285ferrari View Post
Nice work
Thank you sir.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-14-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toggie View Post
+1. Hard to get black metallic to look perfect.

Also, you might want to talk to the owner on how to minimize future damage. Stuff like hand-wash using 2 buckets, wash the wheels with different bucket/clothes than body paint, etc. If hand-washing is not an option for the owner, then at least find an automated car wash that is brushless.

To be fair, he did buy it like that. Not to mention 90% of cars on the road look similar, elite detailing is definitely not as main stream as it should be, maybe the general public just isn't interested.

Anyways, I am setting him up with safe regular washing, as well as maintenance with the highest of standards.

Thanks for the kind words.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Nice work. still wishing for you next door.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #9 of 17 Old 05-15-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post

Thanks, and next door to who?
post #10 of 17 Old 05-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Looks fantastic Brian. Thanks for posting. Gotta do something about that front plate though. That just spoils the whole car.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #11 of 17 Old 05-15-2010, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Looks fantastic Brian. Thanks for posting. Gotta do something about that front plate though. That just spoils the whole car.

The owner isn't any happier about it than you or I, unfortunately our nations capital demands it, it's just such a shame, just like what they did to the 62' E Type.

And thank you for the compliment.
post #12 of 17 Old 05-18-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post

I can be next door with a simple request
post #13 of 17 Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Brice View Post
The owner isn't any happier about it than you or I,
Is Virginia that anal about a front plate? Really, will they actually pull you over for not having one?

Maine requires one but I've never put it on. I've never had a problem. Had the car for 8 now and I've only been pulled over in it once, but that was for speeding and I didn't get a ticket and he never questioned me about the missing front plate. I do keep it under the front seat just in case I'm asked I can produce it and just say the bracket fell off. Of course, now that I think of it, my registration number is "FERRARI" so I could just say it was there and someone stole it.

I do fasten it to the front grill with cable ties once a year for the annual inspection. I did have one inspection mechanic give me a little bit of a hard time for that, he said it had to be permanently fastened. I told him to look and see there is no place on the car to fasten a front plate. He said, "You could drill some holes in the front bumper." We kind of looked at each other for a few moments and I calmly said, "I'm not drilling holes in my Ferrari." He issued the inspection sticker without looking at the car any further.

But again, I think your work just looks impressive. Beautiful. Wish my car looked half as good.

Capt. Pete
post #14 of 17 Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Is Virginia that anal about a front plate? Really, will they actually pull you over for not having one?

Maine requires one but I've never put it on. I've never had a problem. Had the car for 8 now and I've only been pulled over in it once, but that was for speeding and I didn't get a ticket and he never questioned me about the missing front plate. I do keep it under the front seat just in case I'm asked I can produce it and just say the bracket fell off. Of course, now that I think of it, my registration number is "FERRARI" so I could just say it was there and someone stole it.

I do fasten it to the front grill with cable ties once a year for the annual inspection. I did have one inspection mechanic give me a little bit of a hard time for that, he said it had to be permanently fastened. I told him to look and see there is no place on the car to fasten a front plate. He said, "You could drill some holes in the front bumper." We kind of looked at each other for a few moments and I calmly said, "I'm not drilling holes in my Ferrari." He issued the inspection sticker without looking at the car any further.

Very funny. I think there is only one correct response to his suggestion, and you nailed it. I think it has something to do with the place he works or something, as it seemed like it was monitored often but I will ask him the details.

[/quote]But again, I think your work just looks impressive. Beautiful. Wish my car looked half as good.[/quote]

Well, my lifelong goal is to have a swirl free world, so if I live long enough I am sure I will get to yours
post #15 of 17 Old 05-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Brice View Post
Well, my lifelong goal is to have a swirl free world, so if I live long enough I am sure I will get to yours
Good goal! But I think if you started now heading north up Route 1 working on making cars swirl free, I doubt you would ever make it to Maryland.

Capt. Pete
post #16 of 17 Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Good goal! But I think if you started now heading north up Route 1 working on making cars swirl free, I doubt you would ever make it to Maryland.

I was in Maryland last week working on a M5, and am actually putting together a NYC tour, now the balls in your court.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-14-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Four years later need to make a date w this so, and bring a sawsall for the front plate...

Facebook.com/finerfinishdetailing.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode