Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   US: VA, MD, DC (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/us-va-md-dc/)
-   -   Ferraris on the Vine-Williamsburg Winery (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/us-va-md-dc/11668-ferraris-vine-williamsburg-winery.html)

scoper 04-14-2010 07:02 PM

Ferraris on the Vine-Williamsburg Winery

I'm signed up and looking forward to the weekend. Anyone else from the DC area planning to go?

Admiral Goodwrench 04-15-2010 04:28 AM

Dear Alan,

We are taking "vines in the Ferrari" to Ferraris on the Vine.

Best regards,

Robert

Admiral Goodwrench 04-15-2010 06:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dear Alan,

That may have been too cryptic. During the major conservation program on the little blue car, David found (much to his surprise) that the aluminum seat surrounds were not made of tubing but rather good old Italian grape vine. Obviously that made it easier to form and to use upholstery tacks.

Best regards,

Robert

Granucci 04-15-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench (Post 116454)
Dear Alan,

That may have been too cryptic. During the major conservation program on the little blue car, David found (much to his surprise) that the aluminum seat surrounds were not made of tubing but rather good old Italian grape vine. Obviously that made it easier to form and to use upholstery tacks.

Best regards,

Robert

NO!. that is too funny. I had a dodge, '39 pickup stuffed with Horse Hair and some Spanish moss as during the war years, I heard, that was the norm.

But grape cane wood? What did you do during the restoration? Replace with wood or keep the cane?

and

Was that cane original?

r/

rik

Admiral Goodwrench 04-15-2010 02:19 PM

Dear Rik,

I could say that the canes came from a Lambrusco grape vine grown by the Casa Rinaldi family in their vineyard just to the south of Modena as they were close friends of Enzo. I could also say that the blade striation marks where the buds were nipped match those on the blades used by the factory mechanics. I could also say that the grapes grown on these particular vines were used in the making of the Balsamic Vinegar of Modena as that product has a more exclusive ranking than the Lambrusco reds.

Since there is no evidence that the seats were touched before I bought the car 50 years ago I would strongly suggest that the canes are original to the car. Since the goal of the conservation project was to preserve as much of the originality of the car as possible, the canes are in their original positions in the seats.

Best regards,

Robert

360 Modena 04-15-2010 02:38 PM

1358 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench (Post 116499)
Dear Rik,

I could say that the canes came from a Lambrusco grape vine grown by the Casa Rinaldi family in their vineyard just to the south of Modena as they were close friends of Enzo. I could also say that the blade striation marks where the buds were nipped match those on the blades used by the factory mechanics. I could also say that the grapes grown on these particular vines were used in the making of the Balsamic Vinegar of Modena as that product has a more exclusive ranking than the Lambrusco reds.

Since there is no evidence that the seats were touched before I bought the car 50 years ago I would strongly suggest that the canes are original to the car. Since the goal of the conservation project was to preserve as much of the originality of the car as possible, the canes are in their original positions in the seats.

Best regards,

Robert

Admiral, the stories about your car continually amaze me. Thank you so very much for sharing them with us. It is most kind of you to take the time to post, with photographic evidence no less! Way cool sir!

Admiral Goodwrench 04-15-2010 04:26 PM

Dear Al,

I should caution you about the veracity of old sailors and their sea stories, then perhaps I shouldn't...

Best regards,

Robert

scoper 04-15-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench (Post 116449)
Dear Alan,

We are taking "vines in the Ferrari" to Ferraris on the Vine.

Best regards,

Robert

I look forward to seeing you and the car there

FUNRARI 04-15-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Dear Alan,

Best regards,

Robert

Robert,

Great story! I'm sure you have many more, thanks for sharing, keep them coming and put them all in a book some day....

Best,

-Z

barcheta 04-16-2010 05:57 AM

THAT would be quite a read I'm sure.... Admiral if you haven't started this already, I would encourage you and Bryan to get busy. :D

bryanp 04-16-2010 06:41 AM

ok, here's one:
In the spring of 1961, my father was stationed at the Naval Air Station, Oakland, California. He had only recently finished getting his 1955 Series II 500 Mondial roadworthy and had completed an SCCA driver's school in it as well as competing in the 26 March Georgetown Hillclimb and the 15-16 April 1961 Stockton SCCA Races. SecDef McNamara closed his base and Dad was sent on very short notice to Karamursel, Turkey, shortly before he was to run at Laguna Seca. He left the car in the garage of his secretary. After the two year tour in Turkey he was assigned to the Navy Supply Center in Bayonne, New Jersey, which of course was on the wrong side of the country from the car.

He didn't like the idea and could not afford to ship the car across country, so he decided to drive it. His former secretary had divorced and moved on. The car had been towed to an old warehouse in Oakland and a broken ceiling window pane had caused some minor body damage, but overall it was still in running condition. In order to make the rossa corsa car not quite as obvious to law enforcement as he made the 3000+ mile trip, he removed the last section of the straight exhaust pipes and bought a muffler for a 1960 Chrysler. Using a section of spiral-type steel flex tubing matching the diameter of the Mondial's exhaust pipe just inboard of the left rear wheel, he hose-clamped the Chrysler muffler to the flex-tubing and then the flex-tubing to the Mondial's exhaust. Then a little baling wire at the back end of the muffler to the chassis and he was set to go.

The first day was uneventful save for an funny incident leaving Bakersfield but that is another story. The morning of the second day found him leaving Needles, CA crossing the Colorado River and climbing into the western Arizona mountains. Needles averages only 5 inches of rain annually, however, this particular morning it was raining. Highway 66 was a winding two lane road and before long he found himself behind a 1940 black Ford creeping up the considerable grade at about 30 mph; its driver apparently a very short, elderly person. The rain would slipstream over his head if he were going at least 35 to 40 mph, so the Ford was slowing him down as well as causing him to get wet. The sporadic traffic coming down the mountain in the opposite direction was constant enough to frustrate his ability to pass the rolling chicane. Finally, a passing opportunity presented itself. He dropped into second gear and used the prodigious torque of the Mondial's motor to blow by the Ford.

Just as he pulled abreast of the car at full revs, he heard what seemed to be an explosion. Since one's brain seems to slow down the action in scenes like this, his first thought was "I've blown the motor." "Wait, I still have power, so that can't be right." “Instead of one explosion the noise is continuous.” Then he noticed odd movement in the rear view mirror. The Chrysler muffler was being dragged and bouncing along about 30 feet behind the car. The sudden additional back-pressure in the exhaust caused by the downshift and high revs had fractured the baling wire, and the flex tubing had instantaneously unraveled itself. The hefty muffler, still tethered to the car by the unwound flex tube, was bouncing merrily along behind the car, and the 'explosion' noise was simply the open pipe exhaust suddenly at full chat.

He quickly pulled over and sheepishly started reeling in the runaway muffler in the rain. The old lady in the Ford eventually putted on by, giving a good hard glare to the lad in that furrin' sports car. He jammed the muffler into the passenger side of the cockpit, put the normal straight-through tailpipe back in place and headed into the next town, announcing his presence at high decibel well before actually arriving . . . .

Being a Sunday morning, nothing was open which would have more flex tubing, so began a 500 mile drive involving games with small town policemen, and a continental divide crossing in a blizzard, but those too are other pieces of the saga.

Perhaps more later. . . .

barcheta 04-16-2010 07:04 AM

I'm painting a picture of all this in my mind.... hilarious! Doh!

lashss 04-16-2010 07:37 AM

Quote:

Dear Alan,

Best regards,

Robert

This is an incredible story...thank you for sharing!

LS

Granucci 04-16-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench (Post 116499)
Dear Rik,

Best regards,

Robert

After much googling just to be more aware: I agree on the sound logic.

The DNA in the Mondial, certainly lives on, in every fashion.

Granucci 04-16-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanp (Post 116568)
Perhaps more later. . . .

Bryan you have a knack: Keep writing.

bryanp 04-28-2010 07:03 AM

Three days away

and the weather looks like it wil probably be ok.

who's going?

modena2904 04-29-2010 02:48 AM

I am going. Planning to leave mid-day Friday, and drive down via the "scenic" route -- 301 to 17.

So far, we have a 2-car caravan. If anyone else wants to join, let me know and I can send further info.

It looks like they are not getting the attendance hoped for this year, but it should be a great weekend nontheless.

- Eric

360 Modena 04-29-2010 05:00 AM

1358 Attachment(s)
Wish we could make it but have other plans.
Please take and post pics!

Stories about the Admiral and his Mondial would be a perfect addition to the Ferarri Life quarterly magazine! I'm sure Andrew would agree.

bryanp 04-29-2010 05:07 AM

we'll get down there a little after noon Saturday w/ the Mondial and the 288GTO

Toggie 04-29-2010 07:48 AM

We'll see everyone down there.
I'm driving my blue 550 down starting around 10 a.m. on Friday.
We're staying 2 nights at the place.